1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

SOs feelings and thoughts through their partners Addiction/Recovery

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Warfman, May 8, 2023.

1. Warfman

Warfman Fapstronaut

I replied to your other post as well.

A couple things I thought I'd add here too.

The specific post was about ogling but could be about anything. I find this a very important topic to talk to for someone who is really making big strides in their reboot. (Me) As you said in the other post. It can be possible for the addict to glance for say 2.5 seconds. The addict can feel like it was less than .5 seconds but to the SO that can feel like 5 seconds or longer.

Without diminishing the justified feeling the SO is feeling in that moment. The addict can feel as though when something like this gets brought up that we are being accused of not changing at all because the disapproval seems the same in the moment. This makes it tough I think for so many of us because very often the addicts are here searching for the approval of our spouses on our improvements. This can lead to many relapses in my experience, even though a lot of things are improving we feel our partners disapproval as though nothing has changed at all. Which sends us into feeling that hopeless worthlessness that often drives the addiction.

Sometimes it's hard for us to see every action like you said. And we are working on the biggest one (acting out) first. And there's a certain disconnect between partners when the addict is abstaining from P successfully but may not realize all the other behaviors associated with it. Potentially for the reasons you pointed out that the length is under "dispute". I can totally see how an argument could arise on something like this. The SO points out the issue, then we say "I didn't look for 5 seconds!" then the argument becomes about the "duration" and how "bad" it is rather than the ACTUAL issue of the ogling. And this can cause the issues you talk about in your post above. The issue isn't the duration of the ogling but the point that ogling at all isn't good if it hurts the SO.

This makes rebooting that much harder while in a relationship. First and foremost to successfully reboot addicts need to approve of themselves. But at the same time the approval of their spouse is also extremely important. It takes a lot of resiliency and self awareness as you have pointed out to allow the SO to experience their pain and suffering without diminishing the issue. And finding an approval of ourselves in the midst of all that. For me, it's quite difficult to find that self worth when I see the pain I have caused my wife for example because I put a lot of my own worth in the approval of others. (toxic shame)

For the addict I think when our spouses express disapproval of an action like this it can make us feel like we actually "relapsed". Our spouses are hurt in a similar way to acting out and express a similar disapproval. For us it often seems like it is the same thing and that our efforts "aren't enough". This is not a correct assumption but just one that I think many of us feel in that moment of the argument.

I think it takes a lot of resiliency and self worth for us to see past our problems and let our spouses have their pain. And to continue on the correct path

hope4healing and KevinesKay like this.
  2. Psalm27:1my light

Psalm27:1my light Fapstronaut

What I was trying to convey is that just because an SO points out a particular behavior, does not mean they are disapproving or criticizing( doesn’t mean they aren’t either). What my husband has realized after years of recovery work is he often “ felt” I was disapproving or criticizing when I wasn’t. I think you and I are agreeing? You,,as the addict need to have enough self confidence, to not view all observations by your SO, or all conversations of disagreements as disapproval or criticism. Maybe you don’t do this, but my husband literally felt that any time I disagreed I was “ disapproving or criticizing”. Rarely was that the case, especially when we first married. If I even questioned why he did something, he would get defensive. He did not see it that way. For 28 years. Until recovery. His favorite thing to say was “ you’re always criticizing me, I can’t do anything right”. He hasn’t said that in 4 years. No matter what your SO does though, the fact is you either choose recovery or addiction. Your SO is probably not going to be the cheerleader you would like or want. That’s why you need other addicts, they can give you that high five for two weeks clean because you aren’t cheating on them so they aren’t hurt. I would love to be my husbands cheerleader, unfortunately that will never be, he damaged our relationship and me far too much. I don’t feel like it should be a huge effort to be faithful and not play with himself . He has a great group of men to cheer him on though who do understand. Just like I have a tribe of women who understand how I feel. Both of you have separate recoveries and healing to do.

3. used19

used19 Fapstronaut

There is a sense of relief that you weren't crazy, that you knew something was wrong even though you could never find exactly what it was. I also then, and still now, have a lot of self directed anger that I wasn't smart enough to figure it out all the way. Angry that I didn't protect myself better. I now feel a little jumpy with my intuition as a protective measure - even the tiniest ping of it and you'd better believe there isn't even going to be a grain of sand I haven't examined.

My husband certainly hid the acting out so well that I just assumed he was having an affair with a coworker. He definitely does though identify with feeling like a fool because he thought it wasn't harming anybody. He knew if I found out that it would destroy me, but he couldn't see that it was changing him so much emotionally and in his personality that he was already destroying me. Dday was just the nuclear aspect. I had already been a victim on his battlefield for years, he just couldn't see it. Now he says it's like looking back at a movie and seeing himself just wrecking me little by little.

Yeah, I'm gonna be honest here and say there is no planet where I'm going to high five my husband for only looking at a woman for 2.5 seconds instead of 5. The response from me is always going to be mean on this because I deserve for my husband to not look at anyone like that. If he doesn't want me to look at him with disapproval then he can step up and not do that behavior anymore. I feel like the closest a spouse can expect to approval in this situation would be the addict saying, I have gotten control of this and I'm letting you know it is not happening anymore. My response would probably still be a lackluster, good, now keep it that way.

4. I realize that many times when we bring up something that's addiction related, it makes you feel that way, and, in fact, there are often times when I choose not to mention something I see because of that. Sometimes, regardless of how much I want to express my thoughts, it just isn't worth all the crap that can go along with it so I stay quiet. But, honestly, the fact that addicts tend to catastrophize in these situations goes back to what I've said before in a different thread...
    I agree that the argument can easily become about something else instead of the actual issue. For me and my husband, it wouldn't likely divert to the duration of ogling because that isn't complex enough, and when attempting to justify or gaslight, he likes to really complicate things. (I suppose he believes he has a better chance of success the more difficult he makes it...even though it still doesn't work.) So, instead, he would say something like, "I wasn't looking at her because I was ogling. The reason I did the double-take was because I thought she looked familiar. And, the reason I looked at you then was because I didn’t know if you saw her and were thinking the same thing. Then, I looked back at her again just to make sure she really wasn't someone we know." o_O Then, it seemingly becomes more about me not understanding that he was just making sure "we" didn't miss someone that "we" know. Like he was doing me a favor...

I think this is probably one of the biggest hurdles, and it keeps both the addict and SO stuck. Until the addict can truly work through their shame and accept what they've done, accept how it has damaged their SO, and learn to not let everything that's ever said drag them back down into the shame pit, their progress in recovery is limited as well as the SO's healing. Neither of you will get very far if you have to mince words everytime something happens. Part of relational recovery is developing a sense of empathy, and to do that, you have to be able to hear the SO's pain. I know it isn't easy, but it's necessary. It's not uncommon for that to be one of the last things accomplished in recovery.

I think @Psalm27:1my light addressed this well. And, again, it goes back to the shame that hits every time we say something, even if we're simply pointing out something the addict doesn't see...it is not seen as us trying to be helpful by bringing awareness to something. Rather, it's just us trying to "drag you down because nothing is ever good enough." (This is a huge sore spot for me when I hear my husband say it.)

Definitely this. As much as I support my husband, I cannot bring myself to be his cheerleader. I'm glad when he's doing well, obviously, but I certainly can't be excited just because he's doing what he should have been all along. There was a time when he couldn't understand why I was still upset since he "hadn't been acting out nearly as much as he used to." Apparently I should've been thrilled that I only had half as many reasons to feel cheated on. He couldn't understand my thoughts on this until I gave him a different example. I said for him to imagine that someone was stealing money from him everyday. Clearly, he would be upset about it. But, then imagine that the thief was only stealing from him every other day. Is he happy because he's not being stolen from as often as before, or is he still upset because he's still being stolen from at all? Then, he got it.

Yes, I understand this, too. I have been very angry with myself because I feel like I was really stupid for not knowing sooner. I've also been angry about the fact that I let myself be so vulnerable. How could I give my heart to someone that freely? Although that's what you're supposed to do when you find 'your person,' it seems so reckless to do now. That's why, if my husband and I were no longer together for any reason, I will never be in another intimate relationship or marry again. Never. It's just not worth the risk of going through this with someone else, and I can't trust that I would find someone who wouldn't do this to me because I would've bet my life that my husband would never have done this. As much as I wouldn't want to be alone, there's just no way.

I wish every addict who thinks they're doing such a great job of hiding their addiction from their SO could understand this. Just because the SO doesn't 'know' about the addiction doesn't mean they don't know something is terribly wrong, and it doesn't mean it isn't affecting them. It has to be affecting the SO because it's affecting themselves much more than they realize. It's sad that the addiction has them so fooled that they're blind to all the damage they're actually doing, and by the time they finally see it, it's like they just came out of a tornado and are looking around like "wtf?"

5. Warfman

Warfman Fapstronaut

You mean it's almost like someone who gets hooked a 12 year old and wakes up 34 married with kids and asks what the heck happened? ;).

I agree it's sad but it's true. And this is why I keep pushing that we need to increase awareness that this hooks a kid before they can understand what the hell is going on. At the very least for me I will be much more open with my kids about these dangers.

6. Warfman

Warfman Fapstronaut

Mostly on my other comment I was just trying to refer you here rather than respond on Warren's thread further than what I had responded to there. But yes I think we are agreeing. As far as for me I'd say both things are true. I am sensitive of disapproval and also have been "disapproved" of in very unfair ways. It can get pretty hard to tell the difference at times. The main point I'm trying to make on both threads is the importance for a new poster to have that affirmation of self worth and approval continually mentioned. Because I think it would have really helped me early on.

I do get what you are saying here. And I'm catching myself doing exactly that at different times. I don't know the solution other than to try and facilitate good thoughts, be supportive, and to pick your battles. For example I can't express enough in some of the more revealing posts I've written how much a simple like or comment from @KevinesKay has done for me. There were a couple times his support has helped relieve some pretty rough emotions that if I had felt completely alone after expressing I would have relapsed.

I can say something that does affect me is being told how I feel, rather than being asked why I feel a certain way. It creates a disconnect that causes me to put walls up. I think everyone does that to a degree. In terms of P addiction there's so much complexity that it is a much more sensitive situation than most others.

I also find many comments that aren't intended to shame someone here actually can because of the "point of view". Sometimes the post might be painting with a broad brush that all addicts are the same and generates quite a few assumptions. It can make someone feel quite dehumanized because there's so much more to the person than just the addiction even if there are similarities in symptoms of the addiction. Sometimes I think we forget there is a human with their own life experiences and feelings on the other side of the screen typing. I also can see how many of you probably feel reading things here, especially when it sounds exactly like something you experienced in your life. That's just a tough situation. Unfortunately I find that each of the P users here need to find our own understanding and can't be told, which makes this frustratingly slow for someone trying to help.

This is a pretty fascinating topic for me because I am seeing more and more that not only have I done that, but my wife has as well. Not in particular the ogling topic but just in general relationship issues, We often get in these disputes like the "duration" of the ogling which literally isn't the actual issue that needs addressed. We both deflect in these ways and don't come to a common understanding and we both leave the conversation feeling further distanced. Again I have to refer myself to @used19 's post about communication in a safe judgement free place, where both partners can express their feelings.

For me I think I will continue to try and catch myself when I do this and correct it. And also try and be more patient when my wife does it to me.

Trying to stick to the ogling hypothetical... I can see that I have been that person who has diminished things. And I've also been that person who might overreact to something quite insignificant that my wife does. I'm not taking away the particularly sensitive emotion of the SO here. I'm just trying to speak in general for my own benefit of trying to be understanding.

So there is a certain element where I get sick of it. My wife has always been super jealous, there's been times where she has accused me of things that just aren't true. I'm sorry it gets old. I don't know everyone's particular situation and I'm not trying to "side" with anyone here. I'm just expressing how I feel. Sometimes I just need my wife to back off on the accusations and let me be. I get particularly tired of being accused of sexual things I have done with a "promiscuous ex" that I have actually never done with anyone, yet she has done them with hers ex's. Many of whom I went to high school with and know they were quite the "sexual deviants".

On a different note, If she would like me to give our daughter a bath, fold towels, do the dishes. fill in the blank.. maybe let me do it my dang way.. stop over correcting every damn movement I make. I'm a smart capable guy. I just need space to function the way I know how, just chill out and take a break for a few mins instead of hovering and controlling everything I do. It doesn't have anything to do with addiction in this aspect. I can admit my response to it is most definitely affected by addiction though and I am trying hard to not let my emotions get the better of me anymore.

I'm definitely not suggesting anyone high five someone for 2.5 seconds instead of 5. That was just the hypothetical situation that @hope4healing brought up. And I felt it was worth delving into deeper. I also don't think it's the SOs job to cheerlead at all. There is an interesting dynamic to the scenario though that the SO can feel like it was 5 seconds, the addict think it was less than .5 and the truth be that it was somewhere in the middle like hope said. As I said the "duration" isn't the issue it's the act itself that's the issue.

I hope all of this can be understood as my attempt to facilitate further conversation. As I thought this was a great topic to discuss.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    KevinesKay and hope4healing like this.