1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Suffering wife seeks support as her marriage (and life) gets put back together

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Gamerwife85, Jun 27, 2015.

1. TheWife

TheWife Distinguished Fapstronaut

So glad you stopped by. I think about you often and wonder how you are going.

Chemo sucks. No other way round it. You have made it half way. That is a great thought. It's not over but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel coming closer.

Emotionally, yeah, well, it is difficult for people in the best of circumstances. You have been givin a shitty hand. Push it to the side and deal with your immediate needs.

Big hugs x

Handzfree likes this.
  2. As stated previously I haven't been doing well emotionally speaking. I was triggered pretty severely the weekend before Thanksgiving, when Garnadaan and I went to the drive-in to see the new James Bond movie (something I'd been looking forward to seeing for the past year or so). The opening credits contained a huge trigger for me, which caused me to have a panic attack. I hadn't had one of those in a while but I was especially worried given that fact that I'd been in the hospital the previous 2 days. Ever since that night it's like everything from the past months - Garnadaan disclosing his PMO, finding out all the details of his behavior piece by piece along the way after the initial disclosure, his attraction to his coworker - has come rushing back. My mind keeps ruminating on these things; it feels like all of the cancer-related stress is amplifying it, which isn't helping. The negative thoughts and negative self-talk are rampant.

I'm a wreck. I cry at least once a day, and it feels like nothing I do brings me relief from the negativity - not even knitting or video games, which have always been my go-to for comfort. It certainly doesn't help that I'm largely confined to the apartment due to my compromised immune system and am alone most of the time, with nothing but cats and my overactive brain for company.

I want to get back to the days where I felt like I was living my life; right now I'm not living, I'm surviving. One day at a time...one day at a time...

JoePineapples likes this.
  3. Handzfree

Handzfree Distinguished Fapstronaut

HI GW
    I am so, so sorry. As someone who has endured PAs, I know how god awful they can be. Plus being in chemo would even be worse... trying to decide if what you're feeling is a real medical emergency.

Have you relayed all of this to Garnadaan? Can you tell him honestly whats going on, no holds barred? I assume you have. IMHO, he probably wants to step up and and take care of you. I have no doubt you are surviving. You don't feel well, you're locked up alone in the apt. and the short term future looks the same, day to day. Please give yourself some room to have a pitty party - it's ok. I might suggest just being honest with those around you. No need in hiding, right? Hell.. you're enduring chemo for crying out loud! I think you would find support. Anyway, my thoughts and prayers go up your way.

BTW - if you want a laugh, Google up all the blunders in the new Bond film. They've identified 35 really stupid mistakes including the wheels showing on the helicopter after they were knocked off of it as it crashed through the building. I'm a big Bond fan... all the movies have the same plot so you only have to watch the stunts.

Take care, rest, I hope you can find some comfort - better days are ahead.

HF

TheWife likes this.
  4. Hi there, @Handzfree. Thanks for replying to my post! You assumed correctly, I have indeed been relaying my thoughts and feelings about all this to Garnadaan. I realized that I've neglected to mention at any point that he has indeed stepped up to take care of me as best as he can while still working 44 hours a week. He's done an amazing job.

There's a group of newfound knitting friends that I meet with every couple of weeks (depending on where I'm at physically in my chemo cycle - if I'm feeling well enough to attend and whatnot). I've gotten to know one of the women in the group better and the other day told her about Garnadaan's PA. Everyone in the group knows about the cancer....heh, with my partially bald head it'd be tough for them NOT to know, lol! It's been nice being able to talk to someone in person about PA. I didn't realize how much I needed that until it happened! I've been carrying this around for several months, and my proverbial load was lightened substantially.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it! :)

Mj1064 and JoePineapples like this.
  5. TheWife

Very sorry to hear that you have been having a tough time emotionally of late. I don't have any advice, just wanted to let you know I'm sending positive thoughts in your direction. Big hugs x

Gamerwife85 and Handzfree like this.
  6. Went to the cancer center this morning. I had appointments for blood work and with my oncologist. Can't recall if I've mentioned it or not, but the day before each chemo infusion I have to have blood work done to see where my numbers are at and namely if my system will be able to tolerate the chemo meds. If my numbers aren't where my oncologist would like them to be (for example, if my white blood cell counts are too low) then chemo would be delayed by a week to give my body time to recuperate. Thankfully my numbers looked good so I'm all set to go for chemo tomorrow! My oncologist examined me today during my visit with her and was impressed with how significantly the tumor has shrunk. That's definitely something that's been really cool throughout all this....being able to actually feel a difference and notice progress happening.

So tomorrow I get to spend six hours or so in a comfy chair as icky drugs that make me feel like crap are pumped into my body. It hasn't been as bad as it sounds for me...the chemo itself has been okay, it's just the side effects from said chemo that are super lame.

Welp, time for me to take a nap. The fatigue has been pretty bad lately. Garnadaan works late tonight so I have the apartment to myself...perfect time for knitting and Netflix. I'm making him a pair of socks for Christmas and need to get cracking (they're not a surprise so I can mention it freely here!).

Stay strong everyone.

7. Handzfree

Good news on the blood work and tumor shrinkage. Regarding Netflix... I highly suggest the new Jessica Jones series - I'm completely hooked!!!
    Wishing you the best tomorrow and beyond!

HF

JoePineapples and DireMerl like this.
  8. I've been watching Jessica Jones....currently on episode 7. It's SO GOOD. I could always use recommendations for stuff to watch on Netflix.

Thanks for the well wishes! :)

9. DireMerl

DireMerl Fapstronaut

I've been in love with David tenant for years. He's a god amongst men. We even had a doctor who themed wedding. He's amazing in Jessica Jones. Broadchurch was awesome as well.

Glad to hear you're holding on in there. Such a weird thing to congratulate you on being able to have chemo. Hope it goes ok xx

WifeInTheDark likes this.
  10. David Tennant is in Jessica Jones?!?! Okay. I know what I'm watching next.

(Sorry for the stalker interjection, but words like "David Tennant" and "Doctor Who" have a way of calling out to me.)

WifeInTheDark, Mj1064 and DireMerl like this.
  11. Handzfree

Okay... spoiler, I haven't met Tennant yet... But when it comes to the series, I love the lead lady Krysten Ritter. Any woman who can slam back shots and throw bad guys through her office door is simply hot. But for sheer beauty, fun and a smile I'll take Billie Piper from Who. Blonde and sexy British accent... yep that works.

See what you've started GamerWife??? (jus kiddin... actually I think I started it) I hope your side effects to the Chemo are very few.

HF

12. DireMerl

DireMerl Fapstronaut

I love the whole story line of the doctor and rose. But for fav companions mine HAS to be Catherine Tate. Loads of people didn't like her but I thought she was brill. And their relationship was awesome. She was the first companion who didn't want to drop her knickers and I liked that about her. Maybe we should start a thread in the off topic text ion so we can really let loose with the whole 'things David Tennant is amazing in' ? Xx

13. ^ That sounds like a brilliant plan, because Donna was def my favorite companion, too! I love her to death. Though Clara is pretty great, too.

JoePineapples likes this.
  14. I finished Jessica Jones last night on Netflix. WOW, what a great show but so dark....gonna have to wind down with some crappy romantic comedies from the 90s or something after all that psychological warfare.

Round 3 of chemo went well yesterday...I'm physically feeling okay so far. Hopefully that trend continues. I have to report back to the infusion center this afternoon to be given a shot that will kick my bone marrow into high gear, making it produce more white blood cells (and hopefully, in doing so, will prevent future hospital visits).

Been in a good mood all day but that could be the steroids talking. The day before, the day of, and the day after chemo I have to take a corticosteroid. It usually provides me with a bit of a mood boost, which I quite like. Hell, any reprieve I can get from feeling poorly I''ll take! LOL.

Stay strong, everyone!

Mj1064, TheWife and TakingTheSteps like this.
  15. And after seeing the photo thread in the Offtopic forum I don't have the gumption to post a selfie there....but there's a sense of perceived "safety" to me (silly, I know...the Internet is the Internet) when it comes to posting one here in my journal thread. So here you go:

[​IMG]

16. Handzfree

No spoilers on JJ!! I'm just getting to the part where Tennant is being revealed.

Glad the chemo went well. Here's hoping the side effects are nothing. BTW, I do find bald women attractive (Demi Moore - GI Jane), unless they're in chemo... then they get my sympathy and admiration.

Good luck on the 'roids too. Don't grow any chest hair or bulk up too much.

Finally.... You're halfway home. Yehaa, Everything is downhill from here!!!

Cheers,
    HG.

17. TheWife

I don't know what you looked like with hair, but you are a stunning woman right now. The glasses perfect the look. Love it!

Glad you feel okay going into this round.

X

Mj1064 and Handzfree like this.
  18. What a beauty! ^_^

19. DireMerl

DireMerl Fapstronaut

You have a beautiful smile. Hopefully you'll get more reasons to smile as time goes on xx

20. I've been meaning to update my journal here but the past couple of weeks have been challenging for me, both physically and emotionally. Round 3 of chemo was on December 1st, and it was brutal - lots of fatigue and GI issues. Round 4 was originally scheduled for December 22nd but had to be pushed back a week due to my red blood cell counts being really low. I didn't have any symptoms of anemia so I was surprised to see my lab results! I'm pretty bummed about the delay but at least I'll be well enough to enjoy Christmas. Garnadaan and I are flying solo on Christmas this year - we're going to have a small dinner and spend the day either playing video games or playing Magic: the Gathering (why yes we're huge nerds, why do you ask? :p).

Garnadaan hit the 6-month mark on the 10th...I know it hasn't been easy but I'm so, so proud of him!

Emotionally I'm still a bit of a mess. The emotional impact of my cancer diagnosis has really begun to sink in, and to make matters even worse I've been dealing with frequent nightmares and almost-daily negative thoughts. This is typically a stressful time of year (yay holidays :confused:) and the holiday-related stress on top of the cancer-related stuff AND the PMO/trauma-related emotional stuff all make for one tired, emotionally imbalanced me. As much as I enjoy Christmas I'll be glad when it's behind me for another year.

Happy Holidays, everybody. Stay strong.

Handzfree likes this.