1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

7 Day Vegan Challenge

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by I Free I, Jun 2, 2017.

Would You Do A 7 Day Vegan Challenge ?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. @I Free I I just wanted to apologize for somewhat hijacking your thread. Keep doing what you're doing man. If it's making you feel better then that's what matters most. I would agree with Red Eagle on the time frame and extend your challenge for longer than 7 days to really give a diet time to produce results.

Also mad respect on 285 days, wow.

I Free I likes this.
  2. I Free I

I Free I Guest

I appreciate you man but there's no need to apologize, I don't mind you guys discussing between yourselves... If anything, it's very interesting for me to read the information you guys are sharing in this thread, thank you & keep it going if you have to . :emoji_thumbsup:

3. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

1. Is bullshit. The majority of endurance athletes have always been on carbohydrate rich diets not on ketogenic diets. You will always find one who fellow follows a weird diet for good performance, but 98% will follow the normal dietary standards, which are high carb for endurance athletes. Give me a link that shows that people on low carb have set world records please.

2. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Since the 50s and Ancel Keys 7 Country Study we know that high intake in cholesterol and high blood cholesterol causes cardiovascular disease. Diabetes is caused by intro myo cellular lipids. google it up if you don't know anything about it. But basically it's fat that is stored in muscle cells that prevent glucose from entering and thus keep blood sugar levels high and force the body to produce more insulin. Animal protein is carcinogenic. High protein intake increases growth hormon levels in the body such as IGF-1. Growth hormones of course support cancer growth. You 'starve' the cancer cells to death. Man you're a genius. Please give an acutal example how ketogenic diets stop the progression of cancer.

3. Of course we need cholesterol. But we don't need to consume it since our body can produce it on it's own. Any intake that is above what our body naturally needs increases blood cholesterol and thus the progression of CVD.

4. Good fats are NOT saturated fats and trans fatty acids which are primarily found in animal foods. Good fats means consuming mostly unsaturated fats in a healthy Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio. This means plant fats.

Then why do we have evolved to produce more amylase than apes. Amylase is the enzymes which breaks down starch into glucose. We have several times the amount of amylase producing genes than apes.
    Starch=Grains. We have the body of a starch eater not a frugivore like an ape.

This is the starch solution. I'd recommend everyone to watch it.

If someone is interested in diabetes, I suggest watching this presentation by Neal Barnard.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  4. microsmurfen

microsmurfen Fapstronaut

I try t be short and answer your numbers.
    1. Yes majority endurance athletes are on High carb diet. "Carbload pre-races". It is the norm and has been for 70 years. But can't the "normal" dietary standards be wrong? But time is changing now. Here are some athletes following Ketogen diet.
    Zach Bitter, Ultramarathon world record holder.
    Sami Inkinen, Ironman champion
    Chris Froome, won Tour de france 2013, 2015,2016
    LeBron James, pretty good basket player.

2. I am very clear about what Im talking about.
    *Good that you bring up that study "Ancel Keys 7 Country Study" from the 50s. It shows that he only picked data from the 7 countries that supported his theory that animal fat was the main cause of coronary heart disease. What about the other 22 countries he took data from, that he choosed not to publish... Google it.
    *I am a medical student so Yea I should know what diabetes is and I know what Im tlaking about...
    Diabetes Type 1 is due to pancreas dosent produce insulin thats why people need to take insulin shots.
    Diabetes type 2 (which I talk about), which is a huge problem in todays society due to over eating sugar. Drinking soda..Pancreas is constantly producing insulin and over prolonged time our cells becomes insulin resistant. Leading to high blood sugars. Leading to cardiovascular diseases. Insulin is a hormon that works like a key, opens the door to the cell so it can use the glucose for energy. I never heard your explanation before.
    *Yes I do agree, high intake of protein is carcinogenic. But Ketogen diet is not a high intake of proteins. It is high in fat.
    *Research continues to show that sugar is the main source of fuel which feeds cancer and contributes to an inflammatory environment.
    Here is one link you can read:
    https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/ketogenic-diet-weakens-cancer-cells/
    Google it.

3.Your are wrong again.The cholesterol is a myth.
    Look here:
    I recommend to look on the full documentary.

4. Trans fats are bad which is include chips, fried food, french fries.
    More coconut oil, butter, olive oil, animal fats and avocados makes me happy anyway :)

The problem is BigPharma and the food industry. Money.
    Never before did we have so much overweight, diabetes, cardio vascular diseases, chronic inflammatory disease as we have today.
    What is it due to?
    The "standard/normal" diet guidelines?
    Overconsumption of fat or sugar?
    What do you think?

5. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

1. Still no proof that ketogenic diets are better than high carb diets. Again, there is always one guy who may go on a crazy diet that works for him but the majority of people will do what is best which is a high carb diet. Glucose is the preffered fuel of the body not ketones. Ketones are second class energy our body only start burning when there are no more carbohydrates available. If ketogenic/low carb diets are better for performance the majority of athletes would have switched by now.

2. There are plenty of other studies available that show that high intake of animal foods increase cancer, diabetes, stroke, heart disease risk. While we're talking about ketogenic diets I have to admit that you're right in a way. Ketogenic diets do reduce risk of cancer but only when they're plant based. The problems are not carbs and fats and proteins but cholesterol (animal foods only), saturated fats (mainly animal foods), animal protein (animals only duh, methionine is proven to be carcinogenic and it's mainly found in animal sources. Also red meat is classified as a carcinogen by the WHO) and trans fatty acids (processed fats and animal fats).
    Typ 2 Diabetes (which I was talking about too) does not come from eating too much sugar/carbohydrates. If you would have watched the video by Neal Barnard that I linked you would know what I was talking about. High sugar intake is no problem for the body (unless you have a damaged pancreas) since the body can easily produce the insulin. The problem occurs when the body is unaible to lower the blood sugar levels. But why can't the body do that? Like I mentioned, Intro Myo Cellular Lipids. It's fat that gets stored in the muscle cell and prevents insulin from getting the sugar into the cells. So blood sugar stays high and the body is forced to produce more insulin. All countries who eat a high carb diet/ ate a high carb diet had few to no cases of diabetes. Ever heard of Asia? Ever heard that they started having an Diabetes epidemic since they started incorporating more meat in their diet? Well you clearly like to oversee the simplest of facts. Please show me actual studies that show cholesterol is no risk factor in heart disease. Not some insignificant 13 min video.

3. There are plenty of sources that say cholesterol is not harmful. There are plenty of other studys that show that cholesterol is the only risk factor in heart disease. Every saw what the pull out of the arteries of someone who died of a heart attack? That's cholesterol. It's clogged arteries that cause heart disease. But you keep on believing your meat industry propaganda.

4. Yes and they include animal fats too. Oils are processed foods with no nutritional value. They are not health foods. Saying oils are healthy is the same as saying pure white table sugar is healthy. it's an isolated nutrient and everyone who is concerned about health should avoid isolated nutrients as much as possible.

One thing. Just because you're a medical student doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. 1. Medical students don't learn much about nutrition at all. If you didn't know what Intro Myo Cellular Lipids are you just proof my point. 2. The medical industry is mainly controlled by the pharma industry which you claim to be the problem. Medical doctors are not there to cure diseased but to sell people pills and treatments. A healthy person, you can't make money off. Just like with dead people. Keep them unhealthy and you got life long clients. That's why veganism is so fought against in main stream media. It cures most modern chronic diseases and the Big Pharma companies can't have that.

Here are a few interesting studies:
    Heme Iron and CVD risk: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23708150https:
    Heme iron an cancer risk: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24243555
    Vegan diets lower cancer risk: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23169929

Also check out this video:
    He links several studies in the description.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. I Free I

I Free I Guest

Day 4
    So again, it was a pretty normal day as well . I felt I had all my energy, nothing too different . during the middle of the day I ended up with a headache & I hardly ever get those but didn't last long . As far as cravings, I'm kind of surprised that I have no cravings for meat at all.... yet I guess . All in all, another successful day on my way to complete the 7 day vegan challenge . I'll keep you posted as usual .

Completed

7. Hezeru

Hezeru Fapstronaut

This is probably the reason why scientists in this movie are so obese? :D
    Just look at that double chins!:eek:

Red Eagle likes this.
  8. Hezeru

Hezeru Fapstronaut

that's one of the signs you're getting better. You have to go through pain when you are addicted to something and stop taking it. The best but also scariest example are people addicted to heroin. They literally must go trough hell to be clean. I personally had 5 day headache when I gave up coffee. Now I don't have any at all. :emoji_man_dancing:

I Free I likes this.
  9. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

Haha, yes that's very common among low carbers/paleo/ketogenic supporters. Just look at guys like Robert lustig or Atkins (Dies obese with heart disease) or the Guy who wrote Wheat Belly.
    On the other hand all the high carb low fat supporters are slim even into their 60s 70s or 80s.

10. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

Sorry for barging in like this, but how do vegans get Vitamin B12?

I Free I likes this.
  11. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

Mainly through fortified foods. The problem with B12 is that it is produced by bacteria and since we kill of those bacteria with excessive hygiene it is difficult to get B12 from natural sources. However, animals in the animal agriculture industry also get supplemented B12 because they can't get it from the food. So it's processed either way. If you don't want to consume foods like soy milk or other processed vegan foods, I highly recommend to take a B12 supplement.

Chakra_Serpent and I Free I like this.
  12. Hezeru

Hezeru Fapstronaut

from the yeast. but not raw, you must pour a hot water on it to kill yeast bacteria, because it would start fermentation in your digestive system. And vitamins from the B group are dealing pretty good with hot temperatures. Or you can just eat vegetables from your backyard.

13. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Gatorade has brominated vegetable oil in it - BVO =bad for you!
    It's not in all of them, so check the labels.
    Look it up, read about it.... It's just terrible.
    Also, try couscous and polenta recipes. Polenta can come in corn and cauliflower.
    Yummy.
    Try it in steaks or as a mash on the side... I love it covered in sauces.
    Some people like it seasoned.
    It's very versatile.

I Free I likes this.
  14. I Free I

I Free I Guest

Day 5
    This was a great day, I had so much energy & worked a double shift... didn't feel tired at all and no headaches . I ate a nice lunch before work, brown rice with vegetables & some fruit afterwards . Still not having any urges to eat meat at all so i intend to keep my mindset that way for these last 2 days coming up . Grateful .
    Completed

Hezeru likes this.
  15. I Free I

I Free I Guest

hmm I heard gatorade wasn't that great for you but didn't know it was that bad . Interesting .

16. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Some soda has BVO and some instant food too... Like muffins in a box.
    It's just a ingredient I stay away from!
    Thought healthy maybe, not just vegan. :)
    That way after this week, you can continue being healthy in little ways.

I Free I likes this.
  17. I Free I

I Free I Guest

Absolutely. I don't drink soda or eat junk food as well as fast food . I workout, play sports,meditate,etc.etc. I take care of my body but I do eat meat though . I drink water,tea, & gatorade but now I'm going to have to do some research on how bad gatorade is for you .

18. I Free I

I Free I Guest

Day 6
    So today was pretty rough as far as my whole day aspect but as far as the vegan challenge, it was great . Hardly even thought about meat today so I feel like this "challenge" is really not that hard... makes me believe it's more of a mindset challenge than a willpower challenge . just one more day to go and I will have completed this entire challenge .
    Completed

19. Hezeru

Hezeru Fapstronaut

what I nothiced in my experience is that you eat even more if you're on vegan diet. That's because meat has plenty of callories and plants are not. So instead of eating chicken for dinner, I usually have a 3 plant based meals (which I won't be able to eat after eating meat)

I Free I likes this.