1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do women play hard to get?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Namekian23, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

For the last year, I've been improving my interactions with women as best as I can. Like most of the other Fapstronauts suggested, I've worked very hard on improving myself in other ways that accompany the skills and confidence necessary to talk to women (working out, taking opportunities to meet people, etc.). I still have a long way to go, but I've made some progress. However, for some women, it's really hard to get their attention. And right now, I'm dealing with someone who goes to my temple. This is by far, the most difficult woman I've ever came across. So here's the question: Why do women play hard to get?

I mean, I've made female friends along the way, and even though I was very shy around them in the beginning, I've realized that women have always liked my charm. But this lady is different, and it seems that she's playing hard to get. At this point, she probably doesn't like me, and I might just talk to her every Sunday until something happens. However, I think it's time to give up. I really think I shouldn't keep approaching her if she's not responding to my ques.

She's always nice by the way, but every time I talk to her, she folds her arms, looks at her phone, or doesn't pay close attention to our conversation. One time at a friend's birthday party, we sat next to each other, and she had her face away from me the whole time. She's playing hard to get for sure, and I'm getting to the point of just being friends with her. She's kind of wild from what I heard from her friends, but she seems really reserved to me. Especially when I'm talking to her.

If she doesn't like me, that's fine, but it's weird seeing her every Sunday, and none of us is making a move. I know I've tried, but now I just want to know her rather than date her. Even if she doesn't like me, should I still talk to her and be friendly? Because like I said, if I can't get with her, is there at least a way to get to know her as a friend? She is different, and maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a female friend that's a little wild.

Skull crusher likes this.
  2. Maybe she is not playing anything. Maybe she's just not interested in you in any way, as a man or as a friend? I don't know. Sometimes people act closed, either because of their personality or because they really think they don't like you. But if you keep constantly showing up while at the same time showing that you have value for them - cheerful, funny, helpful, whatever, then usually people who are open to getting to know us, they open with time. So if that haven't happened with time if I were in your position I would just give up. If you are sending all the signs that you wanna be friend and they are sending all the "no" signs then eventually you gotta give up, or else you will just turn to obsessed, creepy/weird, annoyance for them. There are plenty of interesting people around who might be interested in you, that are worth your time.

As far as why women play hard to get, I think for the most part it's just automatic reaction of protection in a way. Because most people are boring. They are not worthy of their time. Just because you're man does not automatically makes you qualified to hit on her and just because you are friendly does not automatically qualifies you as a potential friend. We have to provide some type of value to people. Make then lough, make them at ease, build the energy up, etc. If not you are just a waste of time for them. And because most people are like that the default position for most is to be skeptical at first, until we prove ourselves. So that's what playing hard to get or uninterested really serves for, it filters gold from sand so to speak.

And then of course there is also that hard to get game people play for fun. I personally don't want to deal with that crap. I don't enjoy chasing. A little bit is all good and fun. But if a woman is overdoing it I will just move on. At some point the game becomes boring to me and we gotta cut the crap.

Or you could try something else. Like maybe becoming becoming friend to her friends, making them wanting to hang out with you. So then she sees that you are valuable. That's the human psychology, we often want what others want.

3. NickMat

NickMat Fapstronaut

As Mr. Shugi Shugi said, maybe she's just not in to you at all, you can't win em all.
    But on the other hand, if you have a strong gut feeling she is just playing hard to get, than she very well could be.

Now this may sound a little strange and possibly even a little wrong, but what often works with those hard to get sassy women is being a little mean -- not straight up insulting her, but little playful things like "Ugh you're still here?" or mocking something she says. It's all about tone of voice and body language, something that might seem rude with the wrong non-verbals can turn the tables on the hard-to-get girls if said right.

DISCLAIMER: Do not try this on women close to you or your friends, women you work with, or spend large amounts of time around, etc...

Namekian23 likes this.
  4. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Your advice has always been great. Just to let you know, the reason why I decided to approach her was because I thought she had an interest in me. I know it sounds weird, but in the beginning, we were at another friend's birthday party and this is what happened: Her female friend asked me if I had a girlfriend. When I said no, the girl I wanted to date suggested she needed a boyfriend herself in a playful kind of way. She even said I looked cute when we took a group picture, and even shook my hand after I met her for the first time. I guess she was just being playful, but I took it the wrong way.

Furthermore, I guess one of my own reasons why women play hard to get is because they're insecure, and they take other people for granted. Sometimes they just don't know how to react when men approach them, especially if they'd been caught off guard like in my instance. Other times, they've been hurt by other men, and are afraid to try new things to comfortably engage themselves with different people. And since this can't happen, the chances of a relationship is unlikely. These are my own opinions, but I could be wrong.

Also like you said, I can't stand it when I chase women either. It's so freaking annoying, not to mention you look like an idiot after all that work. But the thing with me is this, I've noticed that being persistent helps, and maybe trying to change it up is a good idea. Like what NickMat explained, I was mean to her in a playful kind of way. And as for her friends, I'm glad you mentioned that. Her best friend actually knows me quite well, and for some reason she really likes me as a person. So there you have it, I could have something going on. As of now, I'll still talk to her now that I know she doesn't like me. However, I still think a friendship is doable.

5. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Believe it or not, I've actually tried this method before, and like you said, you have to do it at the right moment at the right time. However, on my end, it's sometimes a little deliberate and to get her attention. But of course for me, it's actually due to frustration as well. I usually follow up with something nice to make up for it, and depending if they respond positively afterwards, I then continue doing what I'm doing. If they seem to engage more, I know it's worth pursuing and then I drop the "mean" thing . But in my case with her, I have a feeling she's not into me at all. And since I was already a little mean to her, even though I did something nice afterwards, chances are is that it's game over. Besides, she's a little wild, and maybe that's not my type.

NickMat likes this.
  6. NickMat

NickMat Fapstronaut

Yeah, the kind of girl I would use the "mean" thing on generally isn't long-term relationship material to me. ;)

Namekian23 likes this.
  7. SupBruh

SupBruh Fapstronaut

Women play hard to get to seem more valuable and attractive than they actually are. They expect you to give them attention. That's exactly what you're doing with this girl and it's certainly not helping you.

Forget about her, if she's interested she'll let you know, and if not you've got (or should have) other options lined up.

8. Audere est Facere

Audere est Facere Fapstronaut

total waste of time. so many girls out there! It's not worth it to deal with emotionally heavy people like that. You'd rather have someone simpler like you seem to be yourself.

once you stop chasing, i guarantee she'll notice it, and even if she doesn't throw herself at you, she'll definitely respect you more coz right now you aren't earning respect for continuing the pursuit and it may even come off as desperate. Also it's not really about them respecting you but also about you respecting your own actions. Throwing yourself at someone isn't really self-respecting in my view.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  9. Tesslynne

Tesslynne Guest

Because the way a lot of men act ENCOURAGES this type of behaviour.

But I think it's time for YOU to play a little harder to get.
    To her.
    That is my advice, over and out.

Namekian23 and Audere est Facere like this.
  10. My advice is to pretend she doesn't exist for the next month and see what happens. The fact that you aren't running up and talking to her like a kid in a sweet shop will shock her and maybe spark her curiousity. Completely blank her dude; trust me

11. Tesslynne

Tesslynne Guest

Worth a shot. Try it and see what happens, why not.
    She might have to step up her game ;-)
    I don't know what will happen but...yeah!

Namekian23 likes this.
  12. Audere est Facere

Also OP be open to the fact that she just is NOT interested. It is not the end of the world, but at least you've stopped wasting your time on a deadbeat. A girl that plays hard to get romantically will be difficult as a friend, and even then she might drop hints and then step back. So being a friend doesn't have to be the next option. It doesn't have to be that way!

13. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Fapstronaut

My experience of 44 years tells me that women normally do not play ;)

Maybe you are playing - and then maybe it's your projection ?
    And maybe you just want to be hunter, hunting for prey.

Just take her as she is. It you feel that you are not compatible, then just let it be. In a few weeks, you will have forgotten her.

Namekian23 likes this.
  14. they are not playing hard to get, they have there own past baggage they are dealing with also. just like you and me.

Namekian23 and Audere est Facere like this.
  15. Nothing wreaks worse than desperation.
    A.) Because they value themselves.
    B.) Because if they didn't we wouldn't get off of our lazy asses.
    C.) Fucking with people is fun.

Audere est Facere likes this.
  16. Audere est Facere

keepin it 1000

17. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

What Audere Est Facere is true. From what I know, she has had a bad experience with a dude herself. And that is something that I can relate to and also respect. It is pointless to keep chasing her like this. Now that I know about this, I have other people such as friends that I can rely on. Some of them are females friends, so there's no need for me to do these things with the girl I'm trying to pursue. She is tough to get, but I realize my limits. In fact, I'm not even gonna try to be with her anymore. There are plenty of other girls out there.

18. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Exactly, like I said to Chef Boy, she has had a rough relationship with a dude that treated her like shit. So I can understand; it took me a while to figure it out from her side. Oh well, you can't have everybody.

19. Audere est Facere

You made the decision of a true self-respecting gentleman, and not that of the white knight!

MUCH RESPECT Namekian! I am sure you will feel better too, even though it may be disappointing, too, after all the effort you put in. A part of us wants to get that which we can't have. I've been there. When they reject you, you may feel that you lack something, and you want them to validate you. I've played the white knight way too many times. But once I decided to stop doing that and step back and respect myself, there's nothing more fulfilling then putting the reins in your own hands!!

You'll look back at this and be content with your decision. AND STAY FIRM BROTHER! We're here to help each other and bring out the best in each other!

Namekian23 likes this.
  20. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Good point. Throwing myself out there like that is not self-respecting. I thought she was giving me hints in the beginning, but I took it the wrong way. That just explains the some of the weaknesses that I have with women. Thanks for being honest.