1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Spilled on water on my Samsung S6..

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 5, 2018.

1. 2 nights ago, I spilled a small amount of water on my phone, and instead of turning it off I just left it on and went to bed. I noticed that it would charge up to 60% and then it stopped charging. Then it said no sim detected, and then there was also a system error saying problem with the charger. When I woke up phone battery was drained, and when I plugged it in it didn't charge whatsoever. I took the damn phone and put it inside rice, I'm gonna leave it for another day. Am I shit out of luck? Did I fry the motherboard or is there a possibility my phone would work in a day or so?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. J4220

J4220 Fapstronaut

I'm no phone doctor but this doesn't sound good to me.

cabbagE_, Noelle, Knighthawk and 2 others like this.
  3. Ragnar.Lodbrok

Ragnar.Lodbrok Fapstronaut

I thought that being water-proof was a standard feature in most smartphones these days. Is that not so with an S6?

Do you have a warranty?

4. the s6 is not waterproof unfortunately. I think I have 1 year warranty but it doesn't cover water damage go figure.

5. I would think that it would be ok unless it had become completely submerged. Give it some more time.

6. thanks man!

7. Yeah it's best if you can leave it a day or two in the rice. If you have still have problema make sure

Knighthawk likes this.
  8. Yeah it's best if you can leave it a day or two in the rice. If you still have problems make sure there are no grains of rice stuck in the phone somewhere!

9. I'll leave it for 1 more day! and see what happens, thanks bud!

10. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

You're 2 (soon to be 3) generations behind bud. This was a blessing in disguise

2525 and Deleted Account like this.
  11. hahaha, it was a free phone on a 2 year contract, and to me it was still an upgrade from the s4!

2525 likes this.
  12. TwelveFoot

TwelveFoot Fapstronaut

Or perhaps he's someone (like me) who doesn't buy into the new tech hype.

13. id settle for a flip phone like the good old days!

Knighthawk likes this.
  14. I just use whatever phone works, I have like one game I play and just use it for the Web. I laugh whenever I see people spending hundreds, up to a thousand or get stuck on contracts for years.

The main thing is where exactly did you spill the water on it and how much? Because that's really important in telling how bad off it might be.

15. ahaha I agree! You will never see me lineup for a new phone. I had a blackberry after it wasn't "cool" to have a berry anymore. Phones are so goddamn expensive to buy outright here, $700-1000 that I end up signing a 2 year contract for a free phone. Usually the phone is 2 or 3 years old but hey its free since I'm going to stay with the same provider anyway. The only thing being under contract is that you can't go to a cheaper provider unless you buy out the phone. So say my phone is a write off I'm still stuck with the same provider for amother year. But at the end of the day having the new Samsung S9 or IPhone 10 won't make me that much happier even if I had the money to afford it!

I barely spilled a cup, but it went inside the charging port. I dried it off and put it in the charger, and that's when it started acting weird. In the morning, it completely died and wouldn't charge. My girlfriend told me to put it i the rice and it has been there since yesterday afternoon. I'll take it out tommorow afternoon and I hope it works! It's the first I been without a phone in a while.

16. I did! Hopefully it works I'll take it out tomorrow and check it out then it has been 48 hours!

Knighthawk likes this.
  17. I really want an IPhone, it's one of the smaller cheaper ones but I really like it after being able to preview one. I've had five different android phones through the years and have had problems and annoyances with all of them. Phones are a bit cheaper than they used to be but I'm still not paying $300, that's outrageous.

Hmm, any idea how much went inside the charging port? That's the weakest area for defense against liquid, as that goes straight to the motherboard and bypasses the glass and everything.

I used to fix phones and learned a thing or two from people about various repairs, and unfortunately most of the time if liquid has reached the motherboard it can ruin it but usually if you immediately do a battery pull it can be okay. The problem is when water sits inside the phone it creates moisture which obviously isn't good for electronics, what's even worse is if a phone is left on it heats up everything inside making it like you just had a hot shower. Can you take the phone apart at all? Your safest and best bet is to disassemble it and wipe away water from everything inside and clear away possible rust which is quite common, because the faster you do that the better the chance of saving it.

That's just my opinion, I had a phone and a bit of water spilled inside it so I immediately pulled the battery and threw it in a ton of rice over a day or two. It worked okay for three/four months until I had severe problems with the screen like the pixels were burning out and the colours were shot. After taking it apart I saw that not all the water evaporated and there was a ton of rust and damage behind my screen and on my mobo. While I hope there's no damage to yours, unfortunately if you don't take it apart it could take months to see any possible damage. :(

18. Unlike the Samsung S4, there's no removable battery :( I'm really nervous to see if this damn thing charges or not by tommorow. It would have been 48 hours by tomorrow afternoon. If it doesn't work I have my old S4 to use which works perfectly. I gotta find the silver lining in these types of situations. But goddamn, the S4 is so slow in comparison! Oh well shit happens!