1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Spilled on water on my Samsung S6..

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Tell me about it, my stupid Sony Xperia is super glued so it's "waterproof" and I have no way of removing the battery without using a heatgun on the back. If it makes you feel any better I dropped my new Samsung Galaxy in a running sink back in the day, that was only a week into a three year contract. :D

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

That would be perfectly fine if they didn't deliberately release updates that slow the older models to a crawl. They deny this of course but I don't believe their lies for a second

3. TwelveFoot

TwelveFoot Fapstronaut

I have a flip phone. The good old days are alive and well :p

4. In the states there's a place called "you break we fix". Don't know if you have one in your area or something similar. I just had my phone repaired. They replaced my screen after I dropped my phone and shattered it. They also replaced the battery. I still had to pay over $100 though, even though I had insurance on it. Phone insurance doesn't pay shit for repairs and I found out that I would've been better off tossing my phone into the ocean and telling them that it was stolen. They then would've replaced it.

5. I've never heard of that nor do I believe it, I haven't had slow downs or problems in that area until the two or three year mark from wear and tear. Besides, most phones stop updating after a year of being released anyways.

6. plus whether that's true or not, a phone is a phone. If it can make, and receive calls and also text messages that's all you really need it for. Social media and data is just extra these days.

7. I use Facebook sometimes but mainly that's just with my SO, and really I'm not even on a plan anymore as I was paying $100 a month for that rubbish. Luckily my area has lots of WiFi hotspots so I essentially get free Internet and don't have to pay a monthly bill. lol

Having Internet is essential to me, especially for this site but free WiFi nowadays makes it even easier to get off of high priced plans and that's great for people like me.

Also, I hope your phone is working and is okay mate.

8. UPDATE
    Thanks @Sarah Walker and everyone for all your help, but after getting it out of the rice today the damn thing still won't charge! And since, the battery is inside the S6, it just might be a battery issue not a charging port problem. I probably have to bring it in to a repair shop when I can afford it, in the meantime I'll get my service added on to my s4! i'm just happy I have a backup phone!

9. I hope that goes better for you. I wonder if water made it to the battery at all, and since you couldn't remove it maybe that shorted or something. I hope it's something that can be fixed!

10. If it shorted is that usually expensive to fix?

11. TwelveFoot

TwelveFoot Fapstronaut

It's probably the motherboard, which is essentially the whole phone, so unfixable.
    Or it could be the battery.

12. It depends, although I think it's worse though as one would assume it's the battery but I remember you said water got inside the charging port. That's unfortunately the motherboard and I think they'd have to replace that. If it was the battery I don't think the phone would start and there'd be other problems as well.

Depending where water lands on electronics it usually fries that area because of the conductivity, and unfortunately it's not usually a piece you can take off, so normally the whole mobo is essentially useless. Hopefully the labour and cost of parts aren't too bad, can you get a quote before giving them the phone?

13. fuck its like 21.. either blackjack or bust! but hey 50/50 odds bud

14. oh okay, there's a few places here that will look at the phone for free and give a diagnosis. It's definitely a charging issue before the phone completely died I gotten a system maintenance error regarding the charging port. i think it said charging port, i was half awake and then the goddamn thing died!

15. UPDATE!

so today I called a repair shop, and asked them how much it would cost to fix they said $100-$135, by an off chance I plugged my phone into my charger and the WHOLE GODDAMN THING CHARGED! I am so fucking happy right now. I haven't touched this phone for about 2 weeks I'd say and I really thought it was done for good. I swear, lately I been having all this good luck and I can't explain why!

16. Bloody hell, 130 to fix it? That's pretty outrageous... I'm glad it's working right now, maybe it completely aired out or something.

17. yeah I was just inquiring about the prices, I had no intention to having it fixed anytime soon. I called my cell phone provider and got it switched back to S6!

18. Lucky for you the S9 is coming out soon. Time to upgrade.

19. no thanks, this phone is great and has been brought back to life! With the S9 I'm sure it's going to be a great phone and all, but I'm not going to pay out my contract and then pay an additional $500 or whatever to get the S9. I rather just sit out this contract, shop around get the best deal possible before I sign another contract again.

20. I live in the US and they've discontinued the contract thing down here. Now everyone pays full retail price for the devices, but in monthly installments of $35 etc depending on the phones cost. Probably only a matter of time until they do that shit to you up north.