1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Codependency

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by TryingHard2Change, Jun 7, 2018.

1. TryingHard2Change

TryingHard2Change Distinguished Fapstronaut

"A codependent person is one who has let another person's behavior affect him or her, and who is obsessed with controlling that person's behavior."
    from Codependent No More: How To Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring For Yourself by Melody Beattie, chapter 1.

Kenzi likes this.
  2. TryingHard2Change

I am finally reading this book / listening to it on my Kindle/Audible on my 6 hour drive home today. I listened to chapter 1 this morning .. and it's good!

hope4healing likes this.
  3. TryingHard2Change

This book is so good!!!!!!

hope4healing likes this.
  4. TryingHard2Change

Finished the chapter about detachment. It was really good.

The crazy thing about this book is, I thought I was reading it mostly for myself. I feel that I am too co-dependent on my wife. But, I'm also seeing tendencies and aspects of how my wife behaves and some of her codependency patterns in her relationship to me.

5. I read her other book "Codependents guide to the 12 steps" and used some of it as a guide for working the steps in CoDA. They have a workbook, too. Although it's not as good as AcOA's. I was a "compliant" codependent. I let myself be controlled out of fear of abandonment. That in itself is a controlling behavior because. Anytime I try to manipulate outcomes or "win" love in a relationship, I am being codependent.

-Quinn