1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Body hair is gross

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Bingles, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

Been sick the past few days but I will make this mini-rant post. I have never liked body hair, it's gross, rough, itchy, and doesn't feel nice at all. Don't understand how you're seen as "less of a man" for wanting no body hair. Most bodybuilders and athletes shave in order to achieve peak performance. Imo it's aesthetically nicer and more masculine. I'm always clean-shaven as I'm a clean freak and it fits my skincare routine. Am I weird for being like this? People kept saying it could tie into my sexuality but I don't get what they mean. Wouldn't consider myself a masculine person at all but I want nice smooth skin, not coarse hairy sandpaper skin brushing against me. If I don't want to age like milk and look like a sasquatch then I have every right to do so. Much rather be pretty and soft than a hairy ageing balding wrinkly giant.

2. EmperorLaStrang

EmperorLaStrang Fapstronaut

Everybody has their preferences.

I like body hair. In fact I never intend on shaving my face for the rest of my life. I get bad razor burn no matter what method I do and I don't like the bare feeling of my skin after shaving anywhere.

So it's up to you.

3. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

Most of my friends shave pretty much everything under their neck. I’m kinda the only one who doesn’t. I like being in my natural state, not because I think it’s more manly. All the “manscaped” ads over the internet are kinda overkill for me and it feels like society is pushing men to shave all their body hair off. With tattoos, piercings, dyed hair, shaving, and modern fashion, body hair is something we can relate to our ancestors with.

I agree though I think nobody should feel forced to look a certain way, as long as they maintain good hygiene

4. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Sadly, shaving body hair doesn't prevent balding and wrinkles.

5. Kn0wbie

Kn0wbie Fapstronaut

Nothing wrong with shaving if that’s what you like… my woman always liked me smooth when she was interested in such things!! I’m keeping everything shaved so it’s as she likes it in the hope she still likes it that way and redevelops an interest in some way!

Use to feel really self conscious in the locker room… as being shaved doesn’t seem that common! But kind of getting use to it these days and it’s just how I am. Got nothing to do with anyone else!

6. I live in the American Gardens building on West 81st street. My name is Bingles. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion. There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me. Only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our life styles are probably comparable, I simply am not there.

7. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Not at all. I have the opposite view and I am not weird for thinking body hair is cool. :cool: It is just personal preference mate.

Kn0wbie likes this.
  8. My upper body is not very hairy but my legs were pretty bushy and I didn't like it much. I used cycling as an excuse to shave my legs. It felt so nice in comparison and I just stuck to it for a few years. Now my hair grows back very thin and I don't need to bother with shaving anymore.

Im also a neat freak so I guess it has something to do with that and we have definitely evolved to be less hairy. Its a personal preference.

9. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I try to be extra careful when shaving, the trick for me is to rinse after each stroke and do it at each angle up, down, left and right applying a new coat of shaving cream each time. Leaves me with a smooth face and no razor burn. Exfoliating and moisturizing afterward can help too.

I hate tattoos, dyes, and piercings too. Shaving and skin care are more about looking after your body rather than modifying it in unnecessary ways. Wouldn't say I'm fully religious myself but growing up in a Protestant background and learning of the Orthodox faith, I do agree with the sentiment that the body is your temple. I exalt my body in praise and testament to God by looking after it. Most older folk around me in their 30s and 40s look much older because of a lifetime of poor diet, no exercise, stress, and no skincare. Maintaining good hygiene and health will be rewarded.

Having a skincare routine does. Mines is relatively basic right now but I'm planning on adding to it. Sadly British high street shops are absolute garbage at the moment. Apparently decent hygiene products are a luxury reserved for the rich. My lifelong goal is to replicate what Bryan Johnson does as that man is a literal vampire. Looks like he's in his early 20s in his 60s. Insane really. Some considered it clinging onto youth but if I had the option I would keep as healthy as possible.

Some people have very gross and ungroomed body hair like sideburns, leg hair, and chest hair. Never understood the appeal of that. To me, it's grotesque. Don't mind it so much on others if it is trimmed and groomed correctly, in some cases it can be attractive. But for me personally, I do not want to look like an ape. Even Tarzan was cleanshaven. That says it all really.

Sounds about right. I wake up at 6:30, do 40 push-ups, make breakfast and a packed lunch, take a cold shower, use an ice balm on my face to remove any rough texture from pores, put on a honey face wash, then toner, essence, and serum. Occasionally do face masks, nose strips, and eye strips to clear up my face. Then in the afternoon take another cold shower for ten minutes, ice balm, moisturize then serum. And despite all that, yet somehow those Korean bastards wake up in the morning looking like porcelain Ken dolls with glass skin. Don't know if it's plastic surgery or what but it makes me fuming. How do they do it? What voodoo magic do they use?

Suppose everyone has their own tastes. The clean-shaven look suits me a lot more than what facial hair would.

Leg hair is the worst. I was cursed with very bad leg hair and it annoys me every time I sleep. Could feel it brushing against the fabric of my clothes. I want to get one of those electric laser thingies that burn out the hair from the follicle root. That way I don't have to deal with it anymore.

10. I knew it.

[​IMG]

11. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

OMG, what a palaver. o_O

12. If you want to prevent wrinkles, protect your face from the sun, don't smoke cigarettes.. basic stuff like that.

Moisturising and and so on is fine but doesn't have a permanent effect. It might make your skin look better temporarily. That's how I understand it anyway.

13. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I've been wanting to improve my diet but my parents, no offence to them, are trashy and eat whatever's there. We cycle through the same 10 meals, get a takeaway once or twice a week, and complain about it. None of us have actually learned how to cook. My dad is the type of person to drink shitty beer on the couch watching football but hasn't exercised let alone kicked a ball in years. He's unemployed but fully capable, yet says he would rather leech off the government because of r/antiwork. Thinks he's hacked the system but really he's just fueling it. Ashamed to have a redditor for a father. I'm gonna learn how to cook soon to improve my skills. British cuisine is known for being grim and unhealthy.

Bateman maxxing. Having a balanced routine increases your productivity and overall well-being. Only people who say skincare is dumb look like my grandad by their early 20s. Take care of yourself and that will be reflected in your daily life.

It's not for everyone but I love it.

14. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

You are absolutely right! Skin moisturizers and essences do nothing for skin health and wrinkle prevention, you think you are doing something cause your skin feels nice and shiny, but it's useless for 99% of the people. They are not completely useless though, because there are some niche uses for skin moisturizers, such as when a person has unnaturally dry skin due to some type of skin condition or drying medication, such as Accutane treatment, but for rest of the people the skin naturally produces all the moisture it needs, so you would just be wasting your money.
    And toner is a scam too! It does literary nothing for the health and anti–aging of your skin. All it does is smells nice and makes it feel and look soft and smooth for about 30 minutes, then the effect goes way, they are a useless gimmick, even more useless than moisturizers. So save your money on moisturizers, essences and toners and rather invest in a good sunscreen and serums.

You should apply vitamin C serum in the morning and vitamin A serum in the evening after washing your face, these really help with skin health and anti–aging; these are two things things that actually work, most other stuff are gimmicks designed to scam money out of people. Same goes for fancy and expensive masks and face washes, literary any alcohol free face wash will do, just get the cheapest one. As far as face masks you want to use one once a week, but don't spend tons of money on fancy ones, I get a clay mask which costs me 25 bucks and lasts me 9 months, and it cleans pores and removes dead skin cells just as well as some overpriced gimmicky mask that has only 4 servings for 50 bucks!

But 95% of your wrinkle prevention will come from sunscreen. Always wear sunscreen, SPF 50 will last you for whole day, unless you intentionally spend time in the direct sunlight, all though to be safe it's not a bad idea to reapply once during late afternoon. Also have sunscreen on even when you are not leaving the house, and even during winter, you might think that it does not matter, but there are UVR even indoors and even through cloudy winter sky—over many decades it adds up!
    No, it's just that rich people like to splurge. And beauty industry knows this, so they meet that splurging demand with overpriced gimmicks. You can get good skin care on a budget if you are smart about it. Like I said, 99% of it is good vitamin C and A serums, plus a good sunscreen. The rest of it can be either gotten for cheap or completely excluded.
    Bryan Johnson is not in his 60s, he's in his mid 40s. Also I disagree that he looks like his early 20s. Well, maybe his body does from the neck down, but his face could pass for a 35 year old at best.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    pointless detective likes this.
  15. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

He's 45 and looks like 30.

Also:
    lmao

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  16. Hey, do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

17. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Not really, no. That says what Edgar Rice Boroughs liked, not the way it should be.

Body hair, if anything, protects skin from chafing. Some say body hair is an evolutionary holdover, others think it’s an important adaptation. Appreciation for and disgust with it move in and out of fashion, depending on your place and time. The Egyptians are the first culture we can identify as having an aversion to it. They shaved everything; chest, back, arms & legs, groin, face, head, and eyebrows. They used wigs and makeup to create the illusion of a natural state, but stylized in the shape they wanted. You have to know it was still obviously fake, though, so I’m thinking the pretend was part of it.
    Other people seem to be more selective about who shaves what. Feminists love to point out the double standard of furry troglodytes stomping around, expecting their women to look like slippery seals. They wanted to let women be hairy, like modern Europeans, but as you pointed out, we seem to have gone the other way and started holding men to the feminine standard, and branded it “manscaping” to make us feel better about it.

I don’t actually care either way. Men and women both can shave or not and that’s their choice. I do think you have a strong point about self care. Obvious grooming indicates a person who values themselves. While you don’t want to be around a narcissist, you also don’t want to be around a person who has no regard for themselves, or the image they present to other people. If you don’t value your own self, why should I value you? That said, you can groom while keeping your hair.

Shaving, even plucking, risks ingrown hairs that can be unsightly on their own, and even develop into cysts. You’ll also have a lot of skin-on-skin friction that can chafe, if you shave places like your pits and groin. Wear a tight shirt and shorts with a good liner, though, and that problem goes away.

Do what you wanna. As long as you wanna take care of yourself and look like you care for yourself. Otherwise, you’re not going to be as successful as you could.

Kn0wbie likes this.
  18. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

No, sorry. Please excuse me, I have some videotapes to return.

Meshuga likes this.
  19. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

I think the answer he was looking for was
    "Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically."

Know what? Neither of you ever change. Just keep shining, you crazy diamonds.

LostSon267 likes this.
  20. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I wanted to do a variation of it relating to Mr. Bungle but I gave up and went with the easy option. :p

Meshuga likes this.