1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any ideas on how to find new friends?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by nomo, May 4, 2023.

1. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Hello All,
    Being lonely sucks and I find myself often wishing I had more friends that lived close by. I need the human connection and find that phone calls are not enough. My current friends rarely call me to get together and I don't have enough friends to say that I have an active social life.

Do you have any recommendations on how to find friends?
    I've been doing the following activities for a few years and realize that I have not been aggressive enough to build friendships from these activities. If I'm doing these things, I guess I need to focus more on the goal of making friends and less on the activities that I'm pursuing. This is what I do today and I hope that it leads to opportunities to make more friends: Pickleball, Meetup.com (mostly for hikes, sometimes to meet out at a club to see a band) thinking of joining a couple of clubs such as a car club, the Elks club.

What do you do to find friends? All suggestions and post are welcome.

Thanks,
    Nomo

neworder91 and hantyumi like this.
  2. larry9102z

larry9102z Fapstronaut

Friends are hard to find. When I was in school I had lots of friends because they are pretty much forced upon you. When I was working, I sometimes had friends (but not always) because I was around people all the time. Now I am retired and have a very hard time making friends. But I think the way to get friends is to get involved with things that interest you--a club, doing volunteer work, a church, a service organization, etc. Have you met anyone playing pickleball? If so, try suggesting you go get a beer or something one day. I doubt that is something I would do, but apparently that's how it is done. I wish I could be more help. Best of luck.

3. I think you are on the right track with joining clubs and doing things you enjoy. One modification I would make is to try and make these activities that occur on a regular basis. For example, is there a Pickelball league that has teams? This way you have that set time and place every week to spend time with the same people. As the league goes on and you spend more time, you can make friendships that way.

tim slim and Buddhabro2.0 like this.
  4. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Great answer, and yes it's a shame we are not around people as much as we were when we went to school or jobs that had offices. I agree that I need to take the next step and ask a person from one of my activities to do somethin
    Good idea, one problem I have is not showing up at a consistent time or day for my events (pickleball) and sure that would create the familiarity needed to create a tighter friendship.

tim slim and Buddhabro2.0 like this.
  5. jt850

jt850 Fapstronaut

One of my music writing friends uses the tactic of talking to anyone and everyone under the guise that it's for networking. See that guy at the store? He might know something about music, let's talk to him. If he doesn't? Fine. If he does? Fine. Either way, you have an opportunity to make a friend. He'll do this anywhere and everywhere. He'll even tell me "Yeah, it's terrifying. But it gets less terrifying the more that you do it." I'd say that's the boldest but could be the most effective approach.

6. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

I also have a friend who talks with everyone, the thing about him is that he seems absolutely fascinated about the person he is talking to. It doesn't matter who the person is, a person serving coffee or the president of the USA, he talks to everyone with a deep interest in them. I find people interesting, but I don't have that level of curiosity about strangers, and right or wrong, I feel I will not see them again so there's no reason to get so deep with them.
    Thank you for the suggestion, it probably would help to up my conversation skills, and most people would be very receptive to talking about themselves.

tim slim likes this.
  7. Bloodstream

Bloodstream Fapstronaut

This is a hard one and also one I am struggling with. It's really hard as an adult to find friends. And most of my friends are married with children which basically means they have no time to hang out so that leads to a lot of loneliness for my part. Therefore I need new and more friends. Social clubs could be an answer but it's also hard to join something just because. Like for instance these "find friends in your town"-clubs. What do I have in common with these people other than they have no friends? I would then rather go after a common interest or a sport?

tim slim likes this.
  8. FormerLeatherneck

FormerLeatherneck Fapstronaut

You just gotta go out and put yourself out there and socialize.

9. BenjaminWalker736

BenjaminWalker736 Fapstronaut

I’m coming up on retirement soon. I should feel very excited and happy but I actually feel the dread. Working sucks, but I have work people to talk to and distract my mind away from the loneliness and life problems. Friends from spiritual stuff on Sundays. Hobby friends on Saturdays. The occasional date night with my wife.

That’s sorta the problem If I retire now. What am I going to do for the five days out of the week that I’m not working?

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    nomo likes this.
  10. larry9102z

larry9102z Fapstronaut

I think that is something everyone worries about when they retire. What will I do with myself? Some people don’t get along with retirement, but for me, sometimes I feel like I am busier now than when I was working. The difference is, though, that your days are not structured and you have to your own fund. It helps to have hobbies or other interests that you can spend time on. One of the smartest things I did when I retired was that I went out, bought myself a good camera, and taught myself photography. This developed (no pun intended) into something that I love to do and that I have spent hours and hours doing. The other thing I did was to do a lot of volunteer work. This allowed me to interact with people and feel that I was contributing something. Your interests are undoubtedly different, but the point is that you CAN find something, you just have to figure out what that will be. What is a bit harder for me, as an introvert, is meeting new people and that is something I have to work at constantly. I love being retired and once I stopped working I never looked back. So plan for it, but do not fear it. It can be the best part of your life.

hope4healing and MindfulWarrior like this.
  11. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Hi - Consider yourself lucky to have those work friends. I've been working remotely for about 35-years and I didn't realize how bad that was for my social interactions. Early on I had more friends outside of work, but as time went on and I moved to another state I really missed not having work friends.
    I'm trying to connect with more "hobby" friends, I need to take them to the next level and start doing things with them outside of the hobbies.
    Thanks for the response.
    Nomo

12. Superadders

Superadders Fapstronaut

I understand the frustration. You seem to be making some positive steps. I find that what has worked wonders for me is taking up meaningful hobbies and meeting like minded people that way. e.g. two of my hobbies are languages and salsa, and some of the best friends Ive made have been via language meetups (Spanish and French) or salsa classes/parties. With cultural connections/awareness and many values shared, other interesting people were drawn to me. Its important that you take up hobbies that develop you as a person and that you actually ENJOY on a CONSISTENT basis (weekly) as this gives you more positive energy that others can resonate with. Hope this helps.

How old are you btw?

nomo likes this.
  13. Mr. Unhappy

Mr. Unhappy Fapstronaut

I agree. Most of all it's hard finding people that will stick around and want to talk to you for the sake of talking. The past friends I have had just don't communicate anymore, sucks most of all because I find them online on messenger and I won't see another message of just wanting to talk. Friends are very hard to get by with even though it makes us feel connections. I felt allot back then now I barely have any connections with anyone.

14. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Thanks for the suggestions, my hobbies are enjoyable. My plan is to be more consistent with showing up and I'll be looking for an opening to suggest meeting someone outside of the hobby.
    I'm 64-years-old. This means "If not now, when?" in almost everything I do.
    Take care,
    Nomo

15. larry9102z

larry9102z Fapstronaut

I am 72 and know how you feel. I tell people that I thought that by the time I reached this age I would have had it all figured out. I guess it doesn't work that way, though. All the best to you.

nomo likes this.
  16. rkingqueen

rkingqueen Fapstronaut

My experience: You need to meet people 1:1. Then a conversation can get profound which may result in trust which can result in friendships.
    I was/am doing sports, art, and language-learning in groups and I didn't get closer to anyone. The only times a friendship started building was when e.g. an art course was cancelled, I was the only attendee plus another person and this person said "Hey, then let's go in a cafè to still get some drawing done!".
    Other than that, dating was a great time to meet friends. Because usually you date people alone and sometimes it would not fit on an armourous level but a friendship formed.

17. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Sage advice for sure. My group adventures have led to very few friendships, only able to make friends when the 1 to 1 takes place. Dating would be fun, but my wife would probably protest. lol.

hope4healing, JustinX and rkingqueen like this.
  18. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

I haven’t had a real friend since I left high school. Most “friends” in college and work were out of Convenience and proximity and they were short lived. Friends are only there when you benefit each other in some way. Friendships nowadays are mostly based on conditional transactions rather than simply enjoying each other’s company like it used to be back in high school.

19. Bloodstream

Bloodstream Fapstronaut

Well problem with dating is. How do you date in 2023. You swipe and never get swiped. It's the only way tbh, there is no real dating matchmaking real life events happening anymore

20. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

I'm not dating because I'm married, but I would say you are not 100% correct. I'm trying to improve my social life and use Meetup.com to find hikes, pickleball, and other things to do and meet people. I've seen and met several single women who I could have dated if I wasn't married. Sometimes it temps me and I'm a bit jealous that I can't date these women, but the grass is always greener on the other side.
    Good luck, and try Meetup.com to see if you can find some women. It works because it's not a dating site.

hantyumi and rkingqueen like this.