1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My wife has a chronic illness

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by TheMightyQuinn, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Hello friends in recovery,

My wife has a chronic illness. She has been out of remission for about 6 months, more than half our daughter's life. Our daughter came to our family through adoption, pregnancy did not affect this.

The past 2 months, however, she has had acute symptoms. It is painful for her and causes depression and despair. It is hard to experience joy in pain or with a sense of dread. Although we are very happy generally and I post a lot about being at peace and loving my life, that doesn't mean I don't experience sadness and in this case fear.

I know that getting fears off of my chest is key to staying sober. They say in AA that resentment is the #1 killer of an addict. In SAA, they say it is fear.

I'm afraid. She is afraid. We know she will be out of remission when they change her medication at least for a while, but she does not respond well to medications. Her body rejects them, builds immunity to them, and she experiences side effects more harshly. They also have long term effects like causing cancer. This scares the hell out of me. She has told me she thinks it is likely that I will outlive her. This saddens me so much. We met late in life, me early 40's, her late 30's. Our time together is limited. I know that's true of everyone. It just saddens me that to live life fully, to experience connection with another, that that vulnerability eventually inevitably leads to loss.

It's been hard logistically as well. I've had to pick up a lot of slack with baby care and keeping the household in order as well as my job, etc etc. For my part, I'm practicing good self care as much as possible. My FIL is coming over today and I'm going to meet a friend for lunch for 2 hours before I come home and get to an afternoon of baby proofing the house. It's worth it to take the 2 hours.

I don't know where I am going with this. I guess I am just asking for support. Asking others for support is how I ask G-d for support. I pray as well, but to me G-d in is the community.

My covenant to you, the community, is that I will be sober today. I ask for your prayers and well wishes during this time.

Peace to you,
    -Quinn

2. TryingHard2Change

TryingHard2Change Distinguished Fapstronaut

Thank you for sharing your story, your life with us. I am sorry that life has dealt you these difficult circumstances. I will keep you in my prayers.

3. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I will light a candle for you and your family. We all can receive hope.

4. I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's health struggles. You have been so much help on here to me and I'm sure many others. I have appreciated your comments very much. I hope knowing that we have you in our thoughts and prayers helps you to feel supported.

5. Quinn, sending you very best wishes.

You and Mrs. Quinn are in my thoughts. Take care.

6. You have provided this community (and me) so much support with your thoughtful advice and heartfelt comments. Being here for you, too, is the least we could do. I'm so sorry for the struggles you and your wife are facing. Wishing you strength and peace through this challenging time.

You and your family are in my prayers.

7. newlife1975

newlife1975 Fapstronaut

Take care mr. You seem to do really well in horrible circumstances. The fears might reasons for relapse. But this situation, as *explicitive* hard as it is, can also be an opportunity to grow closer to eachother. This is not meant as a comment, to make the whole situation less bad. It is what it is. But to show that it might me a risk factor for relapse, but also an opportunity to grow closer.

I wish you two all the best.

Deleted Account and Trappist like this.
  8. mcgrim

mcgrim Fapstronaut

Getting those fears off your chest is a wise thing to do. You will make it through this and no matter what try to enjoy the time you have together.

Even if you weren't experiencing this challenge you don't know what tomorrow or even later today will bring. The advantage to you and her at the moment is that this brings all that forward in your mind and you can realize what you have and enjoy it.

I can understand how you must feel right now and we came to this realization. I pray that you and her have a long and happy life together.

9. Hi all, thank you for your well wishes. I had a bedtime conversation with her last night about "being the rock", how I am often the one to say about whatever "it will be ok". I told her last night that I had my own fears for her and for me as well.

I remember when we were going through the adoption process, which is arduous to say the least. She used to lie on my shoulder at night as ask me if it would ever happen and I used to say "yes of course it will". But when I stopped being the rock, one day I said to her "I don't know. I hope so. It probably will but it might not".

I think I still really struggle with being vulnerable around uncertainty with my wife, in all my relationships really. Even with my friends, I'm more the rock to them than vice versa. Even here, on this forum, I have noticed I have adopted that posture. I started to box myself out from my own struggles, my own fears. I focus so much on the solution that sometimes I forget that I need help, too. I need it just as much as the next person.

One point of clarification, my wife's illness isn't terminal but it is life impacting and could shorten her life below the average. There is something about having a child in the home that has opened me to the vulnerability that time will run out. Seize the fish as they say.

Peace,
    -Quinn

10. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

As a cancer surviver, I never wanted to hear "it'll be OK"
    Honestly?
    It made me think 'what if Its not?' & I was internally angry.
    What got me finally through was "even if it's not ok, we will be. I am here"

I know it's a difficult position and very unfair to be "the rock"
    But you saying "you got this" instead of "life's just going to magically work out" will give her some strength (possibly - it did for me) and help her stand a little taller and take some of the weight off of you.

My two cents.

11. mcgrim

mcgrim Fapstronaut

I can totally understand how you feel. This is how my relationship has been over the past 18 years and it's not easy.

The hard part to obtain and maintain is striking a balance between being the rock but yet admitting that there are things you want. Life will always throw us challenges and we simply need to face them head on, not lose sight of what we have and enjoy what we have plus every day to its fullest.

Have a great day! :)

hope4healing and Trappist like this.
  12. Thank you all.

My wife isn't asking me to be the rock. I'm a recovering codependent so I tend to do that from time to time. Like addiction recovery, it is something that I am always working with. It is natural for me to slip into old behaviors and patterns. Every day, I am a little bit better than the previous. Over a longer period of time, I see the change and growth.

And thanks, @Kenzi. You are right that it is not helpful to "fix" someone's emotions or feelings. And who am I, who are any of us, to guarantee certainty in an uncertain world?

Peace,
    -Quinn