1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Trans Pronouns

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Toaѕт

Toaѕт Guest

You've never heard of shortening a name? Most people with a name like Desdemona will already prefer to be called the shorter version of their name or even a nickname.

I don't understand why others are acting like this would be a difficult thing to do, especially when the times you would be doing it are few and far between? It's not like you're doing this with everyone. It's just an option for those who are uncomfortable with using certain trans pronouns.

2. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Okay, let's call Desdemona "Des". Then, let's use her name in place of pronouns in a random story's paragraph.

Here goes:

"I stepped forward to comfort Desdemona, but Des shook me off, angrily wiping Des' tears away as Des let the traitorous charm fall back against Des' chest. Des Des-self hadn't expected Des to react that way – Des wanted to hurt Des-self, but Des didn't think Des'd succeed so effectively. Des couldn't remember the last time Des felt tears down Des' face – Des wasn't sure if Des had ever seen Des-self cry in the mirror before. Seeing Des' anguish, I scurried away before Des could regain Des' composure and flame me for my retreat."

Quite the mouthful, is it not?

3. Carlossheen

Carlossheen New Fapstronaut

I'd adress them as they wanna be adressed as a sign of respect. But if they aren't respectful in the first place I wouldn't talk to the person anyways.

SilentJay313 and Deleted Account like this.
  4. Toaѕт

Toaѕт Guest

Great. I was referring to when you are talking face to face with the trans person, not talking about them to another person. If you're talking about them to another person then why would it matter if you use their pronouns or not? They're not around to get offended.

5. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Third-person can still be used whether they're there or not. For example, if you're introducing them to others. Otherwise, you'd be over-abusing the second-person in certain cases.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

I'll call a person whatever they desire. I believe that all humans deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. If something simple like using the language someone requests extends to them the dignity they desire I am not one to withhold it. I personally believe that we should be willing to go much farther than that with people, no matter our opinions about their choices or our beliefs that their issues are entirely self-propagated.

If someone ever asks me my opinion, I'll be honest. I agree with the sentiment that clothes, makeup, surgery, medication, haircuts, whatever will never solve the internal problems that are the root of this issue. You can get breast implants or take hormones that make you grow breasts, and in the end you'll be a man who got breast implants or took hormones to grow breasts.

However, I am also willing to accept that this is merely my opinion, based on my experience and learning, and it is not for me to judge anyone or not extend to anyone the dignity that I would afford to any other person.

7. Plutonium

Plutonium Fapstronaut

What happens if a person doesn't stop at special pronouns? What happens if they want to dictate which adjectives you can use with them.? Would you do this if it is what that person desired? At what point do you stop and say this is nonsense?

As an aside I completely agree with Jordan Peterson on the question of respect. It is not deserved, it is earned, otherwise the word has no meaning. While you should treat everyone with civility, the level of respect you show a person must reflect an assessment of their particular worthiness in your eye.

8. Honestly I called what sex they identify as.

9. TheLoneDanger

TheLoneDanger Fapstronaut

Yes. And maybe uncomfortable isn’t the best word to describe how I’d feel when approached with this issue. When someone just decides that they’re the opposite gender without even going through the effort of transitioning, and then to tell us to go against our instincts of calling them the gender they really are (or still are), it’s like we’re unnecessarily kowtowing to the notion that their progressive view on nature is right and we’ve always been wrong. It’s like swallowing what we know to be true just to call Rachel Dolezal an African-American, which is just... silly.

At any rate, you captured my thoughts better than I did with the following statement:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  10. I'm fine calling a person whatever they want: he, she, they, it, Sir Ticklefeathers, Madam Swishytale, Mortimar or Gertie.

But honestly I don't know any transgender people.

And please don't expect me to change my entire vocabulary to accommodate your worldview. I am accepting of anyone who is not an asshole or a total fucking idiot, as long as they don't push their own personal beliefs too hard. We're all people in the end, right? Does the gender make that much difference?

Spiff and TheLoneDanger like this.
  11. I think the issue here is that there are two different common meanings to the word "respect." Some people use that word to describe someone they hold in high esteem, or see as more worthy than your average person. Such as how you respect your parents, or a wise elder. Other people use respect as a synonym to common decency. Technically, that's not what respect means. The definition of respect involves the words "highly admired."

So, by that definition, you're right, respect isn't something everyone inherently deserves. But you said you should treat everyone with civility, which I believe is what most people mean when they say you should treat everyone with respect. It's just arguing semantics.

Plutonium likes this.
  12. I think this comes back to the question "what does it mean for you to use their preferred pronouns?" Because if I felt that using someone's pronouns was admitting that their views are correct and I agree with them, I would not feel comfortable doing that. But for me, I've come to realize that I don't think it has to mean that. I think it can simply mean "I don't want you to feel uncomfortable with me not using the pronouns you like, so I'm going to do that to be nice."

I've been thinking about it a lot, and there are plenty of other things that people do that I disagree with, but I don't constantly tell them "hey, by the way, don't forget that I disagree with what you're doing." And I kind of feel like purposely not using the pronouns someone prefers would be doing just that. Every time I would call a trans woman "he," it would just be to make the point that "I disagree with what you've decided to do to your body." Which I think is just unnecessary to continuously point out. I mean, my best friend lived with and had sex with her boyfriend long before they were married. I disagreed with that behavior and she knew I did, but I didn't walk in her front door and say "hello, my cohabitating, living-in-sin bestie!" every time I visited her house. That would be rude, and if I did that, she understandably wouldn't want to be my friend anymore.

I know that's not a perfect analogy, but to me that's kind of how I feel about it. Like what's the point? What is it going to accomplish to refuse to use their Pronouns? As long as you know that using their words doesn't mean you agree with their beliefs, why does it matter? Not to say everyone has to feel that way. I don't judge people who choose not to use the words, because that's their choice and I understand it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2017
    TheLoneDanger likes this.
  13. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

To all readers: please note that I'm not trying to push my worldview, merely expressing my personal ideas. I can not explain my position on this topic without at least briefly mentioning my faith.

The idea of who deserves or doesn't deserve respect is largely based on one's worldview. Mine, which is based largely on my Christian faith, is that all people are created in God's image and therefore inherently possess a certain dignity and deserve a certain respect. Before I had this foundation, I also shared the view that respect was something entirely earned and was something I reserved for certain people.

I also see humility/ pride as a key component here. Fundamental to my worldview is the idea that humility is the greatest virtue that a human can possess. I believe that it is a prideful action to refuse something as simple as using someone's preferred pronoun. I believe that it is also, most likely, a prideful thing to go around demanding that people use certain unorthodox pronouns when you refer to them, but I'm less concerned with other people's flaws than my own.

Ultimately, verbally expressing my disapproval for someone else's life choices is most likely not going to change them in any way, and may even harden their position. I believe that the best way to go about my life is to only express my opinions about how someone else lives their life if they solicit it. And even then, I try to express my opinions as merely my ideas and recognize that others have the autonomy to make up their own minds on the topic.

I agree with the sentiments of this post.

14. TheLoneDanger

TheLoneDanger Fapstronaut

I agree with that. Which is why my initial reaction was that I’d probably try to avoid the use of pronouns for as long as possible.

For me, it would feel weird going in either direction on this. I wouldn’t want to make it look like I’m trying to prove a point by calling them by their biological gender, while at the same time, it would feel just as awkward using gender specific pronouns for someone who obviously isn’t what they want you to say they are. This is a very nuanced issue, and I don’t think there is enough of an absolute to claim anyone is right or wrong on where they think the line is.

15. Totally agree

16. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

What happens when humility comes at the expense of truth?

That's my main problem when it comes to this issue. I'm not willing to acknowledge falsehood as if it's truth. If a man wants to live his life as a woman, that's his prerogative ... but he shouldn't expect me to change my behavior to make him more comfortable.

My other problem with it is the hypocrisy of it all. Generally speaking, this is a group of people who rages anytime someone like me (a Christian) dares to "push" my beliefs onto them. But insisting that I use a specific pronoun--how is that not pushing their beliefs onto me? Demanding that I use a particular pronoun isn't much different than if I 'demanded' they acknowledge Jesus as Lord.

17. Totally agree. The attitude of the person is a huge factor. If it's a request, that's one thing, but a demand is completely different.

18. Honestly, I've never thought of it that way and thats an excellent point. As Christians we are supposed to share the word with everyone and I really feel Im lacking in that area. I'm very selective when and who I share with out of respect and the fact that people have criticized church people for being too pushy and judgemental. (for good reason in many cases). Forcing a pronoun on me is no different then me preaching at a non believer all crazy without their consent and condemning them to hell for not conceding.

19. Cojo

Cojo New Fapstronaut

I can't see any reason not to use whatever pronouns people prefer to go by. Common courtesy costs me nothing.
    I'm not sure why is this a debated topic at all, to be honest.

20. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

I hold the truth in high regard - and if solicited I will not hesitate to offer it. I've generally found that people are not open to unsolicited truth from those they don't know, and it's not really my style to ram it down anyone's throat. If it was a person that I've already established a relationship with and who has a certain understanding of me and my character, then things might be different. The reality is though, that I don't actually know anybody who has ever created any fuss about the pronouns I choose to use.

As for hypocrisy - sure, it exists in just about every corner one peers into. Someone else's hypocrisy is not really my concern though, nor my responsibility to resolve. I simply concern myself with being as consistent as possible with my own worldview, which is no easy task.

I guess I would choose to see the pronoun thing kind of like a name. If someone wants me to call them a particular name I generally have no problem with it.

SuperFan likes this.