1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Progress Is My Progress Is Our Progress: Understanding The Underlying Causes Of Addictions

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Sekhmet the Fury Bringer, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Back to Step One, I admit I am powerless over sexualized pixels. To look or not to look, if I want to succeed or even survive the answer is I will do everything in my own personal POWER to no longer look at sexualized pixels intentionally for stimulation.

2. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Ok. Gonna get it out of the way right now. Higher Power. This is a paramount concept in the 12 Steps. Since I'm Buddhist my higher power (not all Buddhists rely on the same powers) is Kuan Yin Bodhisattva. So wherever they talk about God this is the power I will apply to myself.

3. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Getting to know your own mind. Recommended video that spawned this thought, this is what recovery is really all about, understanding yourself:

4. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I know from reading people's journals around the forum and from my own experience, PMO can seem like a 'soul prison' that is almost inescapable. It's not though. Education and understanding are things people just do not strive after thinking they can 'brute force' a reboot with mere abstinence.

It works for some but if you want go read journals in different age sections and calculate people's time in a cycle of relapse and you'll see what's working and what isn't.

5. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Step Two: "We came to be aware that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

This site actually does a good job of breaking the Steps down (I'm capitalizing it out of respect for the program) if they genuinely interest you, I'm just doing them once and translating them to all my addictions (drugs, booze, and erotic crap including P): www.alcoholic.org/research/aa-step-2

Yes I have become aware of this. I am also aware that my own efforts are needed to cause this Power to bring me aid.

6. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I like it how some young guys come here wanting to become an 'alpha male', here's an alpha male for ya guys:

Shoot while I mention this let me just shed light on why humans should not be referred to as alpha or beta for that matter:

The Alpha Male Myth | The Art of Manliness

The 'Alpha Wolf' Is An Outdated Myth - KnowledgeNuts lol then this opposer: What Alpha Wolves are REALLY Like | The Art of Manliness

Are Alpha Males a Myth or a Reality? | Psychology Today

Move Over, Alpha Males. Why Being a Beta May Be Better (at Least for Baboons)

Humans are a little more complex than animals bros.

If you're the testosterone obsessed ego fueled type of individual you're probably in over your head with this thread but I have nothing but love towards your condition.

7. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Some people take muscle as their God. Their physique becomes everything to them and others even.

8. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I love good strength training for the sake of keeping in amazing shape don't get me wrong but there's a line that some people cross, if you're an athlete you probably know what I'm talking about. There's training for function, and then there is training for the sake of appearance.

Wanting to be comfortable in one's own skin is great. We all should really, should love ourselves that is. When your fitness goals turn into ego driven obsession and it starts eating away at your mind and character this raises cause for concern.

9. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I think we need to amp up the music therapy in here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I stopped taking cold showers. I wanted to ask someone with mastery of Qigong about them as they are not suitable for every type of individual. I have no problem standing under ice, I have a problem doing something that may not be wholly beneficial for one's energy systems.

Never tried an ice bath but they look legit:

11. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

It's funny how some people try to push strategies onto you who are not experts.

12. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

I just love how much people have to talk about things on YouTube:

Hey they pay you. Can't beat it if you can build a solid audience.

13. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

14. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

I feel like a rogue guerilla user on Imgur. Just rampaging images from the internet, cropping them sometimes from their original to suit my eyes better, snipping off a website name here or there. By all means necessary. Here and there.

I'm looking forward to transitioning my use of the internet to solely for building my mind and interacting with people professionally. I've deleted Facebook permanently and will not open a new account except for professional reasons in the future.

[​IMG]

15. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

16. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Step Three: "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him."

Holy cow. Turn our will and lives over? Does that mean one no longer relies on willpower? I don't buy it, Bill.

17. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Crap I'm not a quitter Bill, I'll turn my will as in ego over to the care of my higher power and will rest assured that I will ask for guidance in my life to do what is proper not what my ego tells me I should do without thinking of what is right and wrong.

18. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Step Four: "Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves."

Will do today buddy.

19. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

20. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut