1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What way do you take your cold showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Bingles, Apr 5, 2024.

What way do you do cold showers?

1. Gradually lowering the temperature

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Full-max Cold

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I have been getting into cold showers more recently, usually I do it gradually but I have been wanting to set it to full-max cold. It gives me so much energy and motivation for the day so I take two: one in the morning; and one at night. Never slept better.

2. Ghost️

Ghost️ Fapstronaut

I don't feel clean if I don't have a hot shower, so I will wash on hot and at the end I will turn to extreme cold.

HenryforwardV2 likes this.
  3. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

DO IT. That's how I do them--it sucks and I love it, haha. If you're like me, you'll spend the first minute trying like crazy to control your breathing, which is a challenge, because every time you turn and move and expose a new part of your body to the water, it's like a fresh shock of cold. But there comes that moment where your breathing calms, and you can just relax and stand there in the water.

4. Itsuki

Itsuki Temporarily Suspended

Do you fellas who enjoy cold showers have a little more heat insulation than the average guy? Asking for a friend.

5. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

It's an illusion, you get so accustomed to the cold that you feel the warmth wrap around you like a blankie.

6. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I will try to set it to 80% cold first, since my shower temp goes to like -20c and I don't want to get hypothermia lol.

7. Ghost️

Ghost️ Fapstronaut

8. Pauley

Pauley Fapstronaut

I've been doing cold showers for a long time i.e. probably for more than 10 years. Some months I never do them because I'm in a too "confortable" state.

Their effects get weaker for me when I'm used to them, something like my body gets used to them and desenticizes. But generally speaking, they raise my mood immediatly.

Cold showers are supposed to be very benefitial, but to my knowledge there hasn't been that much scientific evidence for those claims. Therefore, don't take the following benefits as 100%:
    • Improves immune system
    • Improves blood flow
    • Stimulates your bodies brown fat to regulate it's heat, which leads to weight loss (frankly I feel that this effect only takes place if you are for a substantial time under water)
    • Hot water leads to dry skin
    • Psychological benefits, overcoming an unconfortable situation, getting out of your comfort zone
    Whether the effects are true or not is unclear. I feel like cold showers aren't that hard to implement into my life so I just do them as often as I can.

I generally go for max-cold. If it's cold in the room and they are hard to do, I start with the legs, then the shoulders and then my head/hair. I may repeat this cycle multiple times until I go for the full cold shower on my body. Other days I find it easier to simply start with my back (imo the hardest part).

9. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

This is brilliant, thank you fellow cat pfp user. I'm gonna try this method from now on. I think my main issue is that in the morning, I need the hot water to clean my body thoroughly. Gets rid of dirt and sweat easier.

HenryforwardV2 and Pauley like this.
  10. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

How is that possible? That would be -4F which is below freezing ...

But yeah, don't get hypothermia.

11. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

Two words: council house

Also, when you live on a drizzly island like Britain, 13c is considered warm so the tap water is cold as standard.
    The pain from the cold numbs my thoughts.

12. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Wow that's wild. We have a wide variety of climates across the USA--when I lived in Austin TX in the heat of summer (where we had 43 straight days of highs over 39c), the shower might only get down to 21c ... but now in the pacific northwest in the winter, my shower gets down to 10c. It was a definite shock to my system when I tried to just jump in the same way I'd done in Texas, hahahaha ... that was one rude awakening for sure.

13. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

39c would be deemed a national emergency in the UK, I would probably die of heat stroke. 10c is nothing. Matter of fact, it's 13c now and has been raining the whole day, and yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. It never ends. The cold is a bitter friend that reminds us to survive and cherish the warmth.

14. UlyssesResists

UlyssesResists Fapstronaut

So what are the medical and personal benefits of cold showers? I've done them, but I kind of consider them a placebo now. I know some guys swear by cold bath plunges for 5-10 minutes. What are the benefits?

15. Itsuki

Shrinkage, DUHHHH

Wolves of Wisdom likes this.
  16. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Here are some of the supposed scientific benefits.

Honestly though, I just do it to help me build discipline. I have a really hard time resisting instant gratification and choosing comfort over adversity, and being intentional about cold showers just helps me push back against that a bit. Also, I've historically been a cold water wuss, so the fact that *I* can take cold showers now is a victory for me and ever-so-slightly helps me with my self-image.

17. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Here's an interview with an academic that has done in depth research into cold emersion. It convinced me that cold showers is something I should do. The interview is long but has a lot of good information in it.

18. shorty1

shorty1 Fapstronaut

maybe he's refering to immunity issues...if you sucumb to cold weather it probably affects your immune system...casa by case.....

19. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I live in a naturally cold country, -5c is mild. I don't think it's the cold but the strength you gain from pushing yourself. When I take cold showers, I do notice that I get sick less frequently.

20. Itsuki

How to tell if what you are saying is a troll or not?