1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Volunteering

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by FormerFapaholic, Nov 3, 2017.

1. FormerFapaholic

FormerFapaholic Fapstronaut

SINCE quitting PMO, but also quitting social media. I have a lot more spare time and energy in my hands. To combat boredom and loneliness, I have been looking to find hobbies and activities to do. To keep me busy and pre-occupied.

I've been going out on walks. Been reading books, but also writing a lot either in my journal or on my motoring blog. While I enjoy doing these, at times, I don't feel like I am giving purpose to my life from doing these things.

Of which is why I've applied to do some voluntary work in my spare time involving something creative. Volunteering at an art and craft workshop in a hospice. Something which can use my creativity skills, but also giving something back to the community, and giving purpose to my life.

But it's also something to keep me busy and pre-occupied in my spare time. Whilst I still work in a mundane job stacking shelves or being behind a till. Where I'm feeling increasingly stagnated. Feeling stuck in a rut and not getting anywhere in life at times.

It's giving me something to look forward to. Not only use the skills I have, I can learn new ones, gain experience and meet new people. Who knows what it could lead to?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. I think it's awesome volunteering your time like that.

3. Karimtolstoi

Karimtolstoi Fapstronaut

Volunteering is the right choice because you do it for others. I used to volunteer in an educational project where we tried to help poor children and orphans in their studies. It helps you to learn self humility.

FormerFapaholic likes this.
  4. DainTrinity

DainTrinity Fapstronaut

I recently went to Missions Store to volunteer there, a thrift store that maintains 2 homeless shelters, 1 addiction help centre, and donates about half its stock to those in need. I figure getting out of the house, being around people, is a good idea. Focusing on something else that's completely separate from you helps give you perspective.

5. FormerFapaholic

From experience, I tend to learn a lot more from doing voluntary work than I have done in college.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  6. I am looking to get into volunteering. I think I want to help out at the mental health clinic.
    Thanks for sharing!

7. FormerFapaholic

Awesome stuff @WorthyVeti. I hope it's what you'd like to forge a career in doing.

WorthyYeti likes this.
  8. MrCAllen301986

MrCAllen301986 Fapstronaut

I thought about volunteering at an animal shelter. I use to volunteer for the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization for about 5-6 years until I lost contact with my little bro. I really enjoyed doing things with my little bro. It help me think outside myself and think about another person.

9. PapaTango

PapaTango Fapstronaut

I am so glad you posted this! I have actually just signed up as a volunteer tutor at a local high school! I will let you know how it goes.

10. FormerFapaholic

Excellent stuff PapaTango. Yeah I hope it gets you the experience you want or need, but hopefully forge a career path that you'd want to go into.

11. It's a great idea to be a volunteer.
    5 years ago I was a volunteer as a concierge and maintainer of the computer network on a primary school.
    It was a great time actually.

Since I started my new job 2 months ago, I felt lots of stress and minor satisfaction.
    I am thinking about doing voluntary work for homeless people. In the past I always met such people or they reaches to me.
    My heart is always braking when seeing these people, knowing: it could be me.

12. FormerFapaholic

It helps put things into perspective considering we are recovering PMO addicts.

13. DeProfundis

DeProfundis Fapstronaut

@OP
    Good on you! Keep making a positive impact on people in your community!

14. FormerFapaholic

15. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

I've never done much volunteering out in the "real world", it's something I'd like to do. Where I have, in a sense, volunteered is on the internet. Finding the place and making the time I find is the hard part.

16. FormerFapaholic

To find out what I wanted to do. Was carry out a brainstorm, but also get out there, and do things to see if it's what you really want to do. What I want to do is get out and find purpose in life.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018