1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

To those who dealt with narcissistic family members

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by she-dernatinus, Jun 8, 2021.

1. she-dernatinus

she-dernatinus Fapstronaut

As we know narcissists tend to be callous, unemotional, and lacking in empathy. It's impossible to live with them and not be the target of such malicious schemes.

I recently discovered my biological father to be a narcissist, with a strong inclination to Sociopathy. It made sense to a lot of traits and deeds he has done through the years, it also explained the reason he lacks points in the emotional department.

He has never shown any deep attachment to anyone, whether it's his family or friends. He also never cared about how his behavior might be seen, if he wanted to do something, he does. It doesn't matter how unethical, and shocking it might be.

Is there anyone here who has lived for several years under the same roof with a narcissist, in the case it's a family member ? What are the behaviors that marked your through the years ?

Fantareality likes this.
  2. ByTheRiver777

ByTheRiver777 Fapstronaut

Sad to hear.

I'm very fortunate in my world.

Have you distanced yourself from him?

Fantareality likes this.
  3. she-dernatinus

Actually, not exactly. He left the house because we discovered his affair. He's too scared to come back.

4. ByTheRiver777

ByTheRiver777 Fapstronaut

Great that life worked out like that.

she-dernatinus likes this.
  5. The best way to react is to only care about yourself and your feelings. Don't be rude but emotionally detach from them and keep conversation and contact to a minimum (only do stuff with them that you enjoy).

6. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

Read The Prince by Machiavelli and the 48 Laws of Power.

if you grew up in a tough situation there’s no better advice.

7. thelightfantastic

thelightfantastic Fapstronaut

I myself came to the conclusion that i had toxic family members that were very bad for my health, i realised they were inherently selfish people who only cared about themselves and were unable to see past their own selfish needs, and to be honest i cut them off.

People like that are not worthy of my goodwill or time. No more will they drain my resources to fuel their bullshit.
    I don’t have anything to do with them now, if we come into contact it’s minimal interaction with zero emotion and i move on.

Not as easy if it’s your dad maybe, but sounds like he deserves it

8. she-dernatinus

But are you sure those family members are narcissists ? Aside from their egotistical tendencies. Was there any hints they have antisocial personality disorder ?

9. she-dernatinus

I know the prince from Machiavelli. But I never heard about the other book. Those are works elaborating strategies for mass manipulation. I think it's better to have a strategy for small scale relationships, and interaction.

10. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

There’s a lot in those books but one of the best lessons to take away from it is that it also teaches you how to deal with narcissists and bad actors. One completely underdeveloped muscle in western culture is when and how to deal with people who will take advantage of you.

Fantareality and she-dernatinus like this.
  11. thelightfantastic

thelightfantastic Fapstronaut

Truthfully no i cant say they would be categorised as true narcissists, although in my opinion have some characteristics, if i could some them up I’d say they’re just a bunch of wankers

Fantareality and she-dernatinus like this.
  12. she-dernatinus

In my case, my biological father is a complete narcissist. Possibly even a sociopath. But he has antisocial personality disorder for sure.

He can't empathize with anyone. I am glad he left to wherever he is currently. Now it's in the court matters will be solved.

Fantareality likes this.
  13. pancakebaker99

pancakebaker99 Fapstronaut

My grandparents on my father's side are rich racists I feel the best way to handle family members with really negative traits is to just distance yourself from them. My grandparents spoiled me a lot as a kid buying me toys, taking me on trips, and great food. But I don't think they ever really cared about anyone but themselves they also gave my father and aunt bad childhoods since they abused them.

14. she-dernatinus

I cannot argue that distancing isn't good for this situation. But I think those who were abused deserve some kind of retribution.