1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping PM vs. PMO when married

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Biggles101, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Biggles101

Biggles101 New Fapstronaut

Hey, so I’ve been trying to stop PM for a liqttle over a decade now. I started when I was 11-12 years old, I can’t really remember now. I’ve been married for about 4 years now and my wife has been trying to help me get over PM since we were engaged. I’m trying to decide if I should stop PMO or just PM during my reboot. I don’t struggle with ED or anything and she doesn’t want us to stop having sex for a long period of time. We went a week without O and I felt really good and didn’t get any urges at all. I’m worried that if we do have sex then I might mess up.

My addiction used to be really bad when I was a teenager. I did PM many times a day. Now I only struggle with it a few times every 3 to 8 weeks in little pockets. I might be doing well for a month and then I mess up PM 2-4 days in a row and then I get good again. I don’t care about any of the health benefits of stopping PM, I just want to have my wife’s trust again.

So, should I stop PM or PMO? How can I get over these relapses every 1-2months?

mrtumnus likes this.
  2. You can try the 90 day PMO challenge. 90 days no sex isn't really a "long time" when you look at the big picture. But I think you should look deeper...

You go a few weeks PM free and then you relapse. Most people think a relapse starts when you PM but it doesn't. It starts as soon as the "fuse is lit" that gets you to PM. So, what happens before you PM? Do you stop confiding in your wife? Do you stop exercising? Do you get a little voice in your head that won't go away? Do you start making plans to PM? You get the idea. The point being, you don't go a few weeks no PM and then suddenly slip on the PM banana peel. There's more going on than that.

So, what can you do differently to tack the boat in a different direction when this starts. Can you go to your wife and say "fuse is lit, I need some help"? If you want to get past this point, you're going to have to be pro-actively honest with someone. It could be your wife, or a counselor, or a sponsor, or a friend, or an AP on this site. You're going to have to start telling on yourself. One of the best ways to tell on yourself is to keep a journal here. You will automatically get support and advice and wisdom without even having to ask.

Peace,
    And Welcome,
    -Quinn

3. I echo the recommendation to go PMO. I originally was trying for PM only, but then realized that my addiction to sex still encouraged me to treat my wife poorly when I wasn't getting it. That's a big factor in my 'addiction mindset'. Thus, the 90-day hard mode challenge has the dual purpose of resetting my brain with regard to the addiction, as well as encourage me to build healthier intimacy with my wife without sex being the goal. It really helps me to not objectify her and appreciate her sexuality in a different light, as well as enjoying all the non-sexual aspects of intimacy.

And of course, I'm sure someone is bound to mention karezza (oops, I guess I did). I haven't really tried it yet, except for a one-sided version of it where there was no O for me. It was actually really exciting, and I didn't feel like I missed anything. It was pretty special to just give a gift without any expectation of reward.

Whatever you end up doing, make sure that being open and honest with your wife remains an absolute priority. I made the mistake of lying and covering up my addiction for years. The opportunity cost is heavy.

4. Biggles101

Thanks for the response. I'll talk to my wife about not having sex for a little while. It's an interesting idea because I recognized how good I felt when we went without sex for just a week. I didn't get any urges at all.
    Honestly I have no clue how I keep slipping up. I've thought about it in the past but I just can't see any real connections between my relapses. Sometimes I see something, sometimes I think something. Sometimes we'll have sex and then hours later I end up watching P. I've been doing well for about a week now and that's just because if I ever get an urge I just come to this website and even if I don't read anything I'm here. I think I'll try talking to my wife. I feel like if we can have a good mental inventory every day that might help me get through this initial phase. That combined with coming here and stopping PMO for 90 days like you said.

5. Biggles101

Thanks for the advice. We've tried karezza twice before. The first time was actually really nice, but the second time was a little while after and we got carried away and O'd. I'll look into it again though.