Please Hollywood, stop remaking/rebooting movies ALREADY!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 15, 2017.

1. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I still have hope that we will never see the long rumored Magnum P.I. movie. Leave it alone!

I'm glad The Equalizer movie was so different from the TV show. The remakes tend to be poorer when the try to capture the spirit of the original.

I've still got my eye on you, upcoming Death Wish reboot! What's with the hoodie?!? Don't let Charlie down!

2. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

Do what the Japanese sometimes do, and that's to make the series either continuous (Dragon Ball), or ongoing across different times and places (Gundam). Then there will be less talk of remakes and more talk of "When is this freaking show going to end?!"

3. I didn't know that was a show! I loved that movie, maybe I should check out the show.

LEPAGE likes this.
  4. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

It's one of my favorite shows of all time.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. The Amazing Spider-Man was shit. I passed the second one and I'm glad I did.

6. I disagree. I've enjoyed all the Spiderman movies.

7. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

We'll see how it goes. I am cautiously optimistic for a change. The first had Lauren Bacall. That is huge for me. On top of that, it also featured Bergman, Redgrave and Bisset. It will be different for sure, but I am willing to give it a chance, which is surprising even to me. Maybe it's the ensemble cast. Nobody really has time to screw it up, as long as they don't deviate too much. The only one who can really screw it up is Branagh, who is both the starring role (Poirot) and director.

Past history says I'll be wrong here. We'll see in a few weeks.

8. I don't really understand the aversion people have to remakes, honestly. I mean it's annoying when that's the only thing ever coming out, or if they do a poor job, or if they do it too soon. But personally, I have really high hopes for Muder on the Orient Express. Although I don't remember if I ever saw the first one.... My mom is a huge Agatha Christie fan, and she's excited for it too. There are some big names in the film, people who, in my opinion, have shown themsleves to do really good work. I think it'll be great.

LEPAGE likes this.
  9. Also, the teaser trailer was filmed in such a neat way. One of the coolest trailers I've seen for a while.

10. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Due to piracy and the onslaught of entertainment competition by the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime, people just aren't going to movies as often. Why would a family of four spend $80 on tickets and snacks when they can get a movie on their 60-inch at the press of a button?

It's sad to think that a movie like Back to the Future probably wouldn't get made today. And The Breakfast Club? Forget about it.

Generally speaking, my rule is that if more than 1/2 of the shots in a film are VFX shots, I'd rather not go.

Speaking of great movies with minimal effects ... did you guys see Green Room? Badass movie.

11. I don't really understand what you mean by this. Why do you think movies like that wouldn't get made these days?

12. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Generally speaking, they wouldn't get made because there isn't a built-in fan base to guarantee a big opening weekend. That's generally the reason studios have relied more and more on sequels, reboots, and adaptations to fill their production slates. When a movie like Twilight already has several million hardcore fans of the book who are guaranteed to hit the movie opening weekend, the studio is much less anxious about box office returns.

The studios are just under a lot of pressure to maximize their profits. All other things being equal, a studio will greenlight a film with a built-in fan base over a completely new, original screenplay almost every single time.

When you look at the top-grossing movies of the 80s, then the 90s, and then the 2000s, you see the trend heavily skew toward sequels and remakes.

So I'll revise my comment--I suppose the movies I mentioned could get made, but they'd be less likely to get made, and it would require a particularly ballsy executive to give the greenlight.

Case in point:

[​IMG]

13. Gotcha. That I can agree with more. But there have definitely been some really great original pieces lately that were really well received.

14. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

I don't mind reboots,though I likely won't watch them. The biggest issue I'd have id rebooting them too soon. Not that it'll be much of a concern to me. I see myself watching TV and movies less and less as the years go on. There's just so much out there and I've already indulged deeply.

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. Death Wish? Why the hell do we need another remake/reboot?

LEPAGE likes this.
  16. todaysresolution

todaysresolution Fapstronaut

its called the media blurring effect

17. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

That's why I loved breaking bad. When they pitched the series they said their would only be 5 seasons. Sopranos had 6 good seasons, but since it's a little older people forget about it.

sev94 and Deleted Account like this.