Learning a new Language Challenge Join now!!!

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Ignis Divinis, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

Early morning pracice for Spanish and English - anki memrise, Spanish dict, duolingo (about 30 minutes)

2. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

All the routine for Spanish but the work day was shorter. Tomorrow it will be more challenging.

MindfulWarrior likes this.
  3. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

About 30 minutes of Spanish right before going to work.

4. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

Spanish - anki, memrise, duo, Spanish dict.

Not sure, the best way is probably immersion. Living in a target language country - you are exposed to the language all the time, you are motivated. I remember the time when I was at university - all lectures and classes in English, plus textbooks. It was similar to immersion. Currently I don't have so much time. There's also some mental block in me: Whenever my brain begins to think and process in Spanish I worry if it doesn't interfere with my English fluency. But I will have to level it by using both languages. But it's only my perspective, some people with a gift for languages make faster progress with way less effort. Also it depends on the native language. If your native language contains the sounds, it's easier than when you have to learn foreign vowels and consonants.

5. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

Spanish - all the apps + Learning Spanish with TV series on youTube. I enjoyed learning the channel Learn English with TV series. They choose a scene and play it with subtitles, then explain vocabulary, grammar and culture references. Finally, you watch the scene without subtitles. It worked for English and is more enjoyable than Destinos.

@MindfulWarrior, do you add your own materials (websites or other stuff) to LinkQ or do you use ready lessons. I decided not to use it because it's pretty expensive for me. I use plenty of free to use materials.

As for what you said, consistency is key but also the time of exposure and focus. Also the progress depends on what you do - I don't think that the apps I use are very effective yet they offer variety:
    anki - great for memory retension, I also add funny meme and photos so that makes it more enjoyable. My rating 10/10

memrise - is just for vacabulary, you can race against some other users you follow, that keeps me motivated, I use it as a vocabulary resource / game. My rating 3/10 (limited vocabulary)

duolingo - there's some structure of the course, grammar, teaches grammar / vocabulary / listening / reading / writing. It's game-like. Contains stories, graphs, some challenges. It's constantly modified. But it's good for the most widely-spoken languages. Some courses eg. for Japanese are not very good. It depends on the language.
    My rating 8/10.

Destinos - a youTube course. There's a storyline, grammar and vocabulary explanations. Yet somehow it's a bit old-fashioned and requires a little determination to fight getting bored. My rating 6/10.

Learn Spanish with TV series - it's a worse version of Learn English with TV series but it's still effective and it teaches the modern language. 7/10

6. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

I managed to do the reviews early in the morning. But the energy level is low.

7. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

Spanish in a lot of ways and another 6-minute clip from Learn Spanish with TV series.

8. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

Anki for English, Spanish, Spanish-dict vocabulary, duolingo - morning practice.

9. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

anki, duo, Spanish dict, memrise

10. recoome

recoome Fapstronaut

German language question:
    in the sentences:
    das Student schreibt das Wort in die Tafel
    ich schreibe in das Buch

Shouldn't the die and das be in dativ form as 'in' uses dativ if there is no motion involved.?

11. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

German is not the language that I'm learning so I can't help @recoome

recoome likes this.
  12. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

Spanish reviews, all of them. I also did a movie lesson. They advertized fluentu. It seems cool. You watch movies with subtitles and can check the meaning of each word as you click on them. But then again it's so expensive. I can learn with duolingo and memrise for free. There books and free materials or movies with subtitles (which require googling the meaning). That's enough.

13. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

No requirements, I believe.

Today I joined fluentu 14-day free trial. Mixed feelings about it. I've done all the reviews - anki, memrise, spanish dict, and watched a short clip en español :)

Update
    I deactivated the account on fluentu. 96 bucks for a year is pretty pricy. I can learn Spanish for free.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  14. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

What are you watching?

15. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

anki, memrise, duo, spanish dict; It takes me 30 minutes to do them. I guess I should implement it. Learning only vocabulary and listening to sentences is not enough. Although they make me write a sentence every now and then.

16. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

Just Anki, Spanish dict and one session of Duolingo. I want to maintain the streak.

17. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

Another round of Spanish.

18. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

anki, memrise, one session of duolingo, spanish dict

anki is good but can be annoying and overwhelming. You cannot skip a session. I have almost 20,000 flashcards (sentences, words) for English. I usually get 80-120 reviews a day. For Spanish I have "only" 2000 flashcards - so I get 30-50 reviews per day. However, I ACCEPTED the toil, I know it's just an app but spaced repetition is way better than reviewing words from a notebook (it has never worked for me)

19. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

I've just done the reviews for today and some for tomorrow. I enjoy starting the day with Anki reviews so that I have a sense of accomplishment (I've started the day with something useful for myself). I sometimes do reviews ahead. I check the forecast - how many reviews are scheduled for the next morning if it is over 90, I do them in the evening. As a result, the next day I have only 30-40 reviews in the morning and I can do them before going to work.

Ignis Divinis and MindfulWarrior like this.
  20. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

I managed to do all the targe reviews for duolingo. For the last two days I have been slacking with that.

anteojos = before eyes => glasses Languages are funny.

Ignis Divinis and MindfulWarrior like this.