1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How does someone socialize who doesn't know anybody?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Paulie G., Sep 13, 2022.

1. Paulie G.

Paulie G. Fapstronaut

I know all the memes like "just go out, bro", "just talk to people, bro", "just be yourself, bro"... but hands down, how does one do it? how would someone who doesn't know anybody meet new people?

Somehow everything already requires that you know people to do it with. Let's say you go to some event or to a club, or to a park, or whatever. It's already weird going there alone, but even if you go... then what? everybody is going there WITH someone. Are you just supposed to go up to a stranger and start a conversation? what do you say?

The friends that i did have are not living near me anymore. i feel like i missed the phase to build a social circle and now i'm pretty much fcked... Some weeks ago, I made the resolution to talk to 5 people every day. I basically just ended up asking 5 people for directions every day. Initially i thought i would move past that at some point. But what is there to say? Nobody walks up to people and starts talking to them (i know that because nobody does it to me), everybody already knows eachother. Isn't that weird? is it because i don't have social media? what am i missing here?

Put differently: Let's say you spawned TODAY in some city. You don't know ANYBODY. How do you get to know someone? (that's literally my situation lmao)

MarcelProust and OhWhenThe like this.
  2. I was alone too. I went to high school this year. New environment, new friends, new teachers. Frankly, I was afraid at first, but my environment turned out to be very friendly. The second day of school went very well. I hope it will always be like this.
    You can go to a place and socialize there. I don't think you should go to places like bars. Then I think you will be worse. You may be embarrassed at first or you may have anxiety. But these things don't happen without trying.

3. SayfoDias

SayfoDias New Fapstronaut

My friend recommended me to make compliments to girls I see on the street. Like: "You have very good smile" or "You are sunny as the Sun".

It helps you to acquire self-confidence.

Conqueror_J47 likes this.
  4. I'm in the same situation and also don't have social media. Just accept it and let the solitude strengthen you. I've tried all the usual advice too, nothing helps. Naked a man comes from the womb and naked he returns

5. SayfoDias

SayfoDias New Fapstronaut

Why don't you have a social media?

6. waynebruce

waynebruce Fapstronaut

Pretty much make all my friends at work or school. Also a couple off dating sites. Have had some good friends leave recently too & live in a tiny place so kinda dealing with the same right now.

7. Coub

Coub Fapstronaut

There are activities in which you can get to know people like team sports, language courses, other courses. I would find it also difficult to get to know people, I understand you(depends individually). There are also dating apps, groups in social media. I saw some new students that came to the town just straight forward looking for someone to show them city and hang around. You can also try to just propose to come to neighbour? Maybe he wouldn't mind additional company for an evening?

Those are the options I find I would be looking for in the first place. For more brave souls(not me for sure) you can try to poke people on the street, in the local shop or park, if there's any.

8. ELN

ELN Fapstronaut

I had asked myself the same questions, because I have problems socializing.
    Last year I moved to anither city. At first, I was alone. Then I searched for activities on the Meetup website and found people who met to play boardgames. I also went to take salsa dance classes.

I hope it helps you.

ekoile likes this.
  9. TheRisingShogun

TheRisingShogun Fapstronaut

Pretty much all of my friends I have met have been through school, work, some organization place (Political, religious, etc.), social events, or online. Usually a website like Meetup can help with finding such an organization place or social events in general.

I won’t lie and give you a happy dance here. It’s challenging to make friends. Especially when you become an adult. You don’t know whether or not the people or strangers you meet are trustworthy or good people in general.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  10. I socialize on the internet. I wish I could get out and meet flesh-and-bone people but it takes way too much energy to muster up the desire to do so.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  11. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

I'm the same, I try not to think about it because the negative thoughts often lead me to the crutch I'm trying to escape.

I made friends very easily when I was a kid but that's a whole different world. Being in school is like being in the Big Brother house, it's an artificial environment that doesn't exist in the adult sphere. Those who stay in their social bubble just can't relate to what it's like to not have that.

BigStevie87 likes this.
  12. Paulie G.

Paulie G. Fapstronaut

Man, that's sad... but i completely understand, sometimes i feel exactly the same. Do you feel like this all the time?

Maybe i will pick up a sport, i'll try to register next week. I've tried dating apps several times, but i only ever met one interesting person... so i think it's a waste of time and i don't know if the right woman would be on there anyways. but i don't know where she would be...? it makes me sad to think about it. Probably less then 5% of women nowadays are decent enough to even think about marriage. so even if i somehow got to know a woman, it's very unlikely she fits my criteria. i would have to get to know 100's of girls to find the right one for me. but how? i barely get to know one every couple of months and without tinder maybe it's 1/year or even less. how am i going to meet hundreds?

This is why i think the only way would be to approach women on the street, but i don't think i can do that. today i walked around for 2 hours in the city and i talked to one (asking for directions). I feel so pathetic doing it. But what's the alternative? just join some clubs in the hope that there are women there? go to bars and clubs where there are the type of women which are not exactly "marriage material"? just give up?

It's so weird, you'd think that if you get to the point where there is literally nothing to live for, nothing to get out of bed for, nothing enjoyable to look forward to,... you'd think that at that point you are able to say "fck it, i'll just go talk to her", but nope. It would be easier for me to do something extremely dangerous, like going to war or something, than do this. how is this possible? there is literally nothing that can happen to me if i go up to a woman and ask her something. literally nothing. even if she starts screaming at me... i would totally survive. so what exactly is it that is holding me back?

It's not like i made negative experiences either. The only time i approached a woman in my life, she literally fell in love with me in 4 days. and she was hot too. so.... i don't know. What is it? am i just retarded at this point? (sorry for the rant, just had to get that one out)

13. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

At least once a day I'll read a post on here from a guy saying "I met this girl" but they never say how or where they met.

14. Most of the time, yes. PMO and using Internet too much are the only things holding me back from living like a monk. I work out a lot, read books, and try not to think about the loneliness.

15. TheLightOne

TheLightOne Fapstronaut

Guess what ? People feel the same. Especislly after corona.

Activities
    Shelter
    Lang lessons
    Sports
    Facebooku groups
    Dont focus on finding people, focus on the activity so u dont look needy.

16. That's my situation too. I really don't know anybody here after over 4 years in this city.

At first, I fought it, and I was trying desperately to talk to people, make friends, get a date, anything. It seemed like the harder I tried, all I came up with was snake eyes.

During the 3rd year, I ended up doing 233 days on hard mode. Something broke in me. I just didn't care anymore. I didn't feel lonely anymore. I was alone, but it didn't bother me.

Being alone didn't motivate me at that point to change it anymore. I wasn't unhappy by myself. It was good enough to be at home working on music, reading, on fitness, or relaxing.

And now two years after that point, I'm cool on my own. I can go out or not. Talk to people or not.

Because if you meet dudes in public to become friends, almost every time the reason they are talking to you is for money. Sooner or later, they are going to ask for something. You can set your watch by it. And I don't need that crap.

BigStevie87 likes this.
  17. You aren't on social media either? I don't know what people get out of it. I left in 2020. FB kept trying to make me come back to delete my profile. Then sending me a code, then it wouldn't delete, over and over. So I abandoned it.

BigStevie87 likes this.
  18. ARCEUS

ARCEUS Fapstronaut

I am too in no social media, have even banned youtube for dopamine use, only imp videos I see. Am trying to be physical and working to enhance my personality by observing my extrovert friends, thats the best way acc to me, cuz just scrolling the articles sitting alone in the room and not practicing physically is just waste of time. You should push yourself to go out and force yourself to hear boring talks of your extrovert friend, everyone have them, thats the best way to enhance your talking skills.

19. I don't understand it either. I left in 2013/2014 sometime around there. Everyone puts up a fake persona of how their life really is and hides all the mundane or messed up parts. Also hate how everyone just stays in their little bubble, they make friends in grade school and keep the same friends all lifelong. It's gay and retarded. The world puts out all these messages "blah blah blah we're all connected" when in actuality we're all isolated, alienated, and it's like we each live on our own little islands away from all the rest. Hate it.

20. Totally agree. I struggle to see the value in getting the information that media offers. Do I care what a celebrity thinks? Do I care about what random people on social media think or do? What is there that is of value? There isn't, but there is incredible freedom without it.

ekoile and BigStevie87 like this.