1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help stopping excessive internet/cellphone use (Solved!)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mara is back, Nov 24, 2023.

1. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

Hi
    I've a recurrent problem with this. From time to time my internet use becomes disproportionate.
    I have been going to bed after midnight for more than a week now. I went to sleep at 2:30 am last night:emoji_cry: I was reading and answering tests
    I've tried several apps to block distracting apps or whole phone screen but they don't detect all and eventually I bypass them...
    I need to do something to go to sleep earlier. I don't want to feel tired, sleepy and unmotivated all day because of lack of sleep

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  2. aa aa aaa

aa aa aaa New Fapstronaut

Although sometimes I also get caught up with my devices, I like to go out in nature occasionally without my phone and it helps me out.

3. TheLinari

TheLinari Fapstronaut

You could consider buying a mobile phone lock box with a timer. It can help you build some discipline.

4. Try to make arrangements in your schedules to try to seperate work from rest.

During work you focus on your work & remember to take small breaks every hour for 10 to 15 minutes to relax your brain.

During Rest you focus only on resting : your phone and whatever you do to relax.

Try to work during the day and create a bedtime routine so as to relax before bed.
    This will make you sleepy and eventually fall asleep.
    Aim for 7 - 9 hours of sleep.
    The next day you should feel refreshed.

The advice of the other guy is very nice too, going out in nature helps with whatever addiction you have.
    The sunlight, the cool breeze will revitalize you.

Mara is back likes this.
  5. Dying Light

Dying Light Fapstronaut

Sleeping is not a problem. Try to stop your addiction slowly than to push yourself. Like try to sleep one day and using the internet the other day. So u can improve slowly. May be three days to one. Think I'm using the internet today but will not use it tomorrow. Get up early like 7 or 8 am. Keep an alarm. This will automatically force you to sleep early at night.

6. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

Thanks for your answers!
    It's great! I love it, but it's not easy to go out in nature because of the place where I live and there is no parks near here :-(

I didn't know such devices exist! Are they expensive?

One of my greatest challenges is making schedules. My job is mainly domestic chores, so I spend most of time at home... with my phone near. I try to assign times for different activities but it usually doesn't work, it's a constant struggle >_<
    The problem isn't falling asleep. I can do it very easily. The problem is I stay stuck on the phone until late at night despite being sleepy...
    I've noticed I need to sleep 9 hours, I've tried to get at least 8, but sometimes it becomes very difficult.

Interesting. I'll think about this

I already do it. I have my alarm and wake up at 8 am every day, but since I don't get enough hours of sleep, I'm sleepy and tired all day...

7. I have the same issue. The problem is not about feeling tired or not. But that we have formed the HABIT of being glued to these devices. I have found this phone lock to be useful
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teqtic.lockmeout

You can make a password so that you cannot change the lock.
    It can also completely lock you out of your phone and just show your home screen.

Mara is back likes this.
  8. My solution, which you will not like, was to get a flip phone and relegate my internet use to my laptop. I tried the focus apps, the pin codes, the screen times, but I would easily circumvent such restrictions and be back to wasting time on my smartphone. With a flip phone, there is no escaping its boring design, since it wasn't designed to compete for my attention; it was designed to do what I need which was call and send texts. Nowadays, they even come with a little more like weather and maps.

The added bonus is I get to hang-up on calls like this..

Mara is back likes this.
  9. SilentWolfSong

SilentWolfSong Fapstronaut

You have an Android, not an iPhone, right?

Mara is back likes this.
  10. SilentWolfSong

SilentWolfSong Fapstronaut

It would be a tough ask to ask you to switch to an iPhone, because everything is different and they cost more, but the iPhone Screen Time feature is actually pretty good and hard to work around - or you can't work around it. @Vicit_fidem likely has the best ideas for Android. Methods besides that probably require self control, which is what we're struggling with already.

11. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

I searched and saw they are expensive. Thanks anyway

Yes, and we now need to develop the habit of self discipline and self control...
    Good! If it can detect the apps I use with Samsung secure folder app, then it will be useful! The problem with other blockers has been they don't detect or stop such apps

Before I had a smartphone, I got stuck on my laptop! And on my desktop PC too :emoji_see_no_evil:
    When I was a student I had a possibly severe episode of internet overuse with my laptop. Well, then I lived alone in other city but now my circumstances are very different. I think it would be more difficult now to stay more than 4 hours a day seeing the laptop, but at night it would be very easy...

I use the phone very often during the day, but my main problem right now is going to sleep too late because of being stuck on internet at night, maybe the used device is secondary...
    Anyway I'm going to consider this option, thanks!
    That's good.
    I'm glad you've found a helpful solution for you!
    Right
    An iPhone far exceeds my budget, is too much expensive and I have no money :-(

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  12. If you have a budget to spend, what is it? Knowing this could help others offer advice.

In my experience, when it comes to wanting something that is going to help you control yourself, it's going to come with some sort of cost/fee/subscription.

13. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

Well, I'm not talking about a very detailed record of incomes and expenses. If I was an organized person, I would have one... But our monthly income of about $900 usd is insufficient to pay an iPhone... A few times it can be difficult to make ends meet...
    Also I'm distracted and forgetful, I cannot afford to lose an iPhone, have it dropped or stolen
    Considering this, the flip phone is a better option for me! XD
    Yes, and before paying for it, I need to make sure it really works for me. I think I can found something I can afford.

For now I'm going to uninstall the current blocker and make room to install the app @Vicit_fidem suggested. I'll see if it blocks app within Secure Folder.
    Ohhh! Wow! Maybe I need to install the blocker also within Secure Folder! Maybe this way it can detect my apps! :-D I will try!

Update: This is Samsung Secure Folder https://www.samsungknox.com/en/solutions/personal-apps/secure-folder

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    SilentWolfSong likes this.
  14. TheLinari

TheLinari Fapstronaut

Don't worry about it. You will find a solution. I personally needed to get a lock box because I have two android smart phones. My phone addiction is insane and used to use my phones a lot at night in bed until I had to make the decision to get a lock box. This has helped me greatly since 99% of my relapses occur at night, between 10pm-1am while using my phone in bed.

What I find about excessive phone use is that we are trying to escape from something. I know this is something you have heard before but maybe your issue is an emotional one. If you can find the source of your discomfort that makes you subconsciously want to use your phone a lot then that might be the permanent fix. Personally, I know from observation that anxiety, shame and anger are key emotions that make me spend an inordinate amount time escaping because I don't want to feel these emotions. Anyway, I am making major assumptions about you but I really hope you find a solution.

Mara is back likes this.
  15. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

Yes, I hope, thanks
    Glad for you!
    Yes, excessive use of anything, I think
    I've a history of getting stuck on screen devices, first TV, later PC and laptop, and tablet/smartphones in more recent years.
    I can spend hours on internet reading miscellaneous, interesting information and then time flies! I can say "only 5 more minutes", "this is the last page"...
    On the other hand, anxiety can make me to constantly check if I've notifications, likes, comments, new messages and so.
    It can be a way to procrastinate when I have to do something I don't like, make me nervous or afraid
    I've noticed anxiety is something I strongly try to avoid.
    Sometimes I feel like an urge to read or write or finish something "asap, right now", the feeling of "this can't wait". Or the feeling or urge to check randomly "to see what I find"
    In addition, I'm in too many groups and hundreds of messages accumulate...

16. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Maybe turn off your notifications. I only allow a few apps to send me notifications.

You could also set yourself a bedtime and try to get into the habit of going to sleep at that time.

Another thing you could do is maybe instead of looking at a screen before bedtime you could read a physical book.

Mara is back likes this.
  17. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

Yes. I sometimes activate Don't Disturb Mode. It can prevent immediate distractions, but anyway I can open apps and websites directly and check every 5 minutes what's new
    I've been trying it for years! But the success doesn't last long...
    In fact I have an alarm as a sleep time reminder, but I constantly postpone it :emoji_see_no_evil::emoji_sweat: This is why I started to use app blockers, ideally the blocker will close my apps or will block the screen at certain hour and then I'll have to turn lights off and go to bed...
    It's a good idea because I've a lot of books waiting to be read...

I need to find a better moment to use internet. At night is easier because I finished activities, people are sleeping and I no longer have interruptions, but it's the worst time of day to be on the cell phone.

Btw, I didn't it and... It worked!!!!! The blocker detected and stopped the apps I indicated!!! :-D I only need to make some adjustments.
    If everything goes well, you won't see me here again after my local midnight, lol!

18. xuledywo

xuledywo Fapstronaut

To improve your sleep routine and go to bed earlier, try setting a consistent sleep schedule, creating a relaxing bedtime routine, limiting screen time before bed, and experimenting with apps mindfully. Additionally, ensure your sleep environment is comfortable, limit stimulants, engage in regular physical activity, and consider seeking professional help if needed. Making gradual changes can help you establish healthier sleep habits.

19. Mara is back

Mara is back Fapstronaut

Thanks for your advice.
    This is precisely what I've not been able to achieve: consistently complying with the schedules and limits I establish... Relaxing isn't an issue, fortunately
    Yes, it's another thing I need to do consistently
    I already have it :) thanks

20. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    i use to leave my devices in my car over night, than afterwards i switched cell phone plans and opt in for only text and call no data, thou my phone can use wifi where ever i can get wifi but my residence i dont have wifi,

SilentWolfSong and Mara is back like this.