1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do We Have Free Will?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Yes, we have a free will to make decisions and choices, that is one of the points, that differentiates us most from animals. Even under the spell of hypnosis people deny doing things, that are fundamentally against their basical values. Denying the idea of free will means denying personal responsiblity or to excuse the lack of responsibility. Even under the terrible social pressure of gulags and concentration camps or in war situations people still made different choices.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
  2. Infinite spirit

Infinite spirit Fapstronaut

Unfortunately we don't have free will . It doesn't make sense whatsoever. WHT we call the ego which is "i" doesn't even exist. So who is in control? Nobody . Just read Sam Harris book on free will..it's will become blindly obvious .

3. @EthanW. here's a thread discussing free will. Getting back to the question in the other thread, how can humans take responsibility for anything if they don't have free will?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2019
  4. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

I forgot about this thread.

But, yeah, human beings function with an awareness of their own cognizance, in that way they express preferences for environments and behaviors which are influenced by a variety of stimuli. Regardless of influence, this consciousness is present and allows the perception to serve as an operator in addition to other stimuli.

I put it this way: We act as if we possess free will, thus free will, as an as-if experience, is an appropriate term. I've never spoken with someone who used the phrase, but was confused about specifics. You'll find theists who say it's source is spiritual, but the neurological processes are always understandable.

I don't know what you believe as an agnostic/atheist, so let me know what makes sense.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. So all we are is just a locus of self awareness or consciousness who are simply aware of preferences and choices but have no control over them?
    But acting as though we have free will would have been determined right?
    I'm an agnostic.

6. Do you believe in evolution? If so, why would humans evolve to have free will and not other animals?

7. Do I believe we have free will? Yes, how could I not?

EthanW. likes this.
  8. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

...Why wouldn't humans evolve to have free will? What keeps them from doing so?

You're asking a lot of questions so far without articulating anything concrete.

Do you think we should dismiss free will as an experiential phenomenon? Why?

If I aim at a dart board and nail a bullseye with a dart, what is the point in only addressing the various physical phenomena that made it possible for my muscles to move and for the dart to fly through the air? Isn't the perception and neurological responses just as important? Isn't the composition of these such elements noteable to the extent we can use a term such as "will" to designate, differentiate and potentially define what it is we are referring to?

9. Do humans have free will as in we could have acted differently if confronted with the same situation or not?
    Well since according to evolution humans are animals just like other animals and animals make decisions due to instincts, environmental factors etc, I find it difficult to believe that humans would evolve to be different from other animals but I don't know.
    I'm not saying we should dismiss it... I'm not making a claim about free will since I'm not sure if humans have it or not.

10. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Alright, fair enough.

Before we've acted, yes; after we act, no. It's a sort of Catch-22, because after the actor takes action, yes, we can theoretically begin to measure all of the influences that led to the action, from the beginning of time, if desired; however, before any action takes place, there is no measure of absolute certainty because of randomness. I agree that pure randomness does not seem to exist, but randomness as it is defined conceptually is valid to be worthy of being applied to actions taken by organisms.

Take the bullseye example again. If we measured all relevant influences upon the possibilities of how, why, when and with what accuracy I will toss a dart, we can make a numerous amount of models that detail answers to these questions. If, however, when the time to throw comes, I turn completely around and toss my dart out a window, what is there to be said about these models? Can we follow the avenues of determinism to define what influenced me to throw out the window? Theoretically we can, but anything close to proficiency or precision in designing such models only comes after-the-fact. I think even in physics, only hindsight is 20-20.

I began the last paragraph by saying "all relevant influences." Knowing what is relevant is the primary problem of theoretical determination being used as an instrument in analyzing actions in the universe.

I'll say one last thing: I think all organisms are on a "spectrum" with regard to their ability to utilize will, but since humans have adapted and evolved to fit environments we are able to call societies and civilizations, we exhibit a degree of will that is, in different ways, superior to other animals, so that there is some use in labeling our human will as "free" -- it is free in relation to every other animal on Earth that we know of, mostly, I think, because of the sophistication of stimuli with which it is used to understand.

11. One of the reasons evolution doesn’t make sense is because humans have free will but animals don’t. Or, at least, humans have such a high level of self awareness that it surely can’t just be due to a brain alone, but rather our sentience, consciounce and sense of reality are projected into our thoughts from something not biological such as a soul, if you will.

12. How have you determined that humans have free will? How have you determined that no nonhuman animal has "free will"? How have you determined that "it surely can't just be due to a brain alone"?

13. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

The aspects you listed all take place in the human brain. You will have to point to the exact positions of all aspects that comprise a "soul" before I would give credence to that theory.

14. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Did you read my argument above, on this same page of the thread? Besides having a soul, a think humans can be said to possess attributes dissimilar to non-humans which allow the utility of the phrase "free will."

15. @EthanW.

you study something hombre?

Also what does 20-20 mean? > "I think even in physics, only hindsight is 20-20."

Edit: Got it, hindsight is 20-20.

EthanW. likes this.
  16. Ideally we do but laws (man-made constructs) restrict free will. Also I guess the commandments restrict free will but I'm not getting into that

17. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

I get that a lot :D I just like to read, and think about what I've read. Some of the best advice I ever got was the "learn to listen," speech.

But, no, everyone tells me I need to go back to school. I had the American public school experience and all that inspired in me was to get away from civilization as fast as possible... I didn't get too far.

Right now, I was thinking about a two-year degree that would get me into a high-paying entry-level position. It seems lucrative.

Do you study? Your seem like you're a sharp tack yourself, from the threads I've seen.

18. Started out with physics, later switched to architecture, now I'm learning to code and build basic motorized contraptions. I have to say I was lucky to now be in a position to do the things I like, because it's not really about architecture anymore.
    What degree are you looking out for and what kind of field is it in?
    I would have guessed that you studied something like neurobiology, haha. That probably comes from your viewpoint on human behavior, when we were discussing free markets and monopolies. It seemed you looked at the whole species as if it was an organism and not the individual in that argumentation, I understood that perspective later on, didn't bother to continue on the topic though.

Anyways, I feel like I have to say something about free will now. Even if everything was said already.

I don't believe free will exists, as far as if it means that humans can change causality as if they are not part of the chain-reaction (more like a network-reaction) that reality is. Humans are a part of everything that is going on as an interconnected incredibly complex reaction. We are bound to this condition just like everything else. I also believe that humans are incredibly egocentric, they think everything revolves around them, may it be the sun, the stars or that the creator of the universe is listening to them, looking like them, as if we are close to being gods. As if we could change reality, being something that is lifted above it.

19. ProtagonistOfMyLife

ProtagonistOfMyLife Fapstronaut

You just contradicted your own position.

"We cannot "will" ourselves to stop. Instead, the best way to stop an addiction, is to set up "conditions" so that you won't give in to the addiction. You eliminate triggers, environmental cues, etc., so that these things don't influence your behavior."

I wouldn't call "free will" the ability to always be in control. Rather as the ability to "choose your own destiny" to "forge your own road".
    And if we can not do that directly, we will achieve it indirectly. Like, eliminating trigger, setting up other habits, introducing new routines etc..
    True, human is a custom animal, but if you control that customs, you are essentically in control. And you are free to choose and change those customs.

20. Sorry, I'm just done with any kind of philosophical or political threads on here, for the time being

Re:Born and Deleted Account like this.