1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any nofap programmers?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by anproducer, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Fomo Sapiens

Fomo Sapiens Fapstronaut

Python mainly. I love projecteuler.net for their programming and maths problems; it's an addictive way to get better at both simultaneously. Also Free Python Games is superb - you can reinvent all the sh*t outdated games you used to play like Snake :D

http://swcarpentry.github.io/shell-novice/ is great. But it depends on your skill level.

2. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

Started learning Java at home, I started a while ago but because I'm still a high school student so unfortunately I don't have much time. About to complete an high school diplome in teleproccessing (I feel like it's underrated).

3. Right here. I know Lua. It's for game creation on the popular platform "Roblox". I know, at first it seems kind of childish, but there are great income opportunities with it and it's been a great learning experience.

L1ster and stayHard like this.
  4. desmondmiles

desmondmiles Fapstronaut

I've done quite a bit of coding over the years. Interestingly enough, I actually started out writing Batch scripts when I was maybe twelve or thirteen. Since then I've become fairly proficient in several languages, but most notably Python. I prefer Python as a general-purpose language because of the availability of modules for it and its inherent flexibility.

recon117 and stayHard like this.
  5. stayHard

stayHard Fapstronaut

Hii Guys ,
    I am application developer I'll write code in swift language, worked on Xcode IDE
    iOS Developer.

desmondmiles likes this.
  6. desmondmiles

desmondmiles Fapstronaut

That's interesting. I gave Xcode and Swift a try a while back, and I just couldn't seem to wrap my head around it. I guess I'm just a Windows kind of guy at heart.

stayHard likes this.
  7. stayHard

stayHard Fapstronaut

It's take time to learn that main thing is about logic that's all bro in our environment

desmondmiles likes this.
  8. I've dabbled in several languages. Java, Python, C++, HTML, CSS.. even BASIC back in the day.

Currently doing some C#.

Does anyone have any favourite books, tutorials etc. for programming?

Sputnik I and desmondmiles like this.
  9. Thank you! I have been out of the game for a little bit now and didn't know there was such an awesome and free way to learn some of these great languages for free these days.

L1ster and desmondmiles like this.
  10. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

I use udemy, it's really great (alot of courses detailed from 0 and for a reasonable price. I don't know about the platform mentioned above but I'll suggest checking it out.

Arbiter007 likes this.
  11. Fomo Sapiens

Fomo Sapiens Fapstronaut

Ha. BASIC. I was schooled in Canada for a year in Grade 10, and I'll never forget my computing teacher - introduced us to BASIC and to coding very primitive games.

diaspar and Arbiter007 like this.
  12. BASIC had its good points. Or maybe I should say "has" its good points, since people still use it today. And now it's been improved in some ways, such as eliminating the need for "spaghetti code".

I liked how you would turn on one of those old computers and they would instantly load, and you could type away in BASIC.

When I started learning Java years later, I thought, "What is this crap? BASIC was much better!" lol

Thankfully there are a lot of convenient options nowadays. One thing I find very useful is online compilers, such as this Python one:
    https://www.onlinegdb.com/online_python_compiler

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2020
  13. HitoriJanai

HitoriJanai Fapstronaut

Hi! I make scripts every now and then, used to be really enthusiastic about programming in the past.
    To be honest, ever since I starting doing NoFap I've been meaning so start working on a certain idea for an app.
    Might just download Android Studio right now and start working on it, actually.

Oh, and I can do basic-intermediate level NodeJS / PHP / ECMA 7

Arbiter007 likes this.
  14. Zexiant

Zexiant Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Currently, I'm focusing on Python, but I'm also interested in web development, so I learn HTML, CSS & js too. Can you all recommend backend language?

15. If you want a job, PHP.

Arbiter007 likes this.
  16. What's the process of actually getting an app into the App stores though? Isn't that kind of the harder ordeal than the wire-framing of the app itself?

17. I've always kinda had a secret crush on PHP, but never took the leap thus far into trying it out.

I did some basic level HTML and that was about it for website languages.

For my job I did C# .NET, VB .NET, VB6. I learned C / C++ in school, but could use a refresher. Took one class in Java, but since forgot it lol (all I remember is how much of a pain it was and that is when I knew I didn't want to use it anymore haha). Did BASIC in high school and used it every now and then in college / work. Oh, and then there was Labview...

My favorites were definitely C# .NET and VB .NET though. I could play around a ton with that stuff. I am surprised nobody else brings up Visual Basic.

diaspar likes this.
  18. HitoriJanai

HitoriJanai Fapstronaut

Nah, that's the easy past really.
    In Android you don't even need to put an app on the Play Store, lotand a of people who make FOSS or technically illegal apps (like Clover for 4chan or YMusic to play mp3 directly off YouTube), choose to not even upload their apps to the store, and just share the .apk on their GitHub, or somewhere else.

19. Dalian

Dalian Fapstronaut

Ahh, real life got in the way and I haven't been back here in a while. Hopefully this is still relevant to you!

The biggest thing that helped me was getting comfortable in the terminal. Use the terminal to do everyday things like move files around and connect to wifi. Whenever you see a command you don't recognize, do `man command` and read up a little bit about it.

I like to send this video around when people ask about programming. I know it's a long one, but it has some really good bits of information in it. I've been programming for 6 years and this changed the way I look at programming when I saw it last year.

Last edited: May 8, 2020