1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A prodigal son who has still not returned to his Father

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Thomassawyer1914

Thomassawyer1914 Fapstronaut

I am a 23 year old Christian male. I am addicted to masturbation since the last four years. The following is the my confession:

God had given me so much to start my life with, but I had ruined all of that because of my behavior. I had a very beautiful and memorable school life. I could even say that I almost did not have anything to complain or whine about. I was always shown love wherever I went. I read the Bible and prayed everyday with my family. I shared a good bond with my family and friends. However things began to change when I enrolled at college.

The first year I remember being addicted
    : My grades dipped like never before, my concentrating power began to dwindle, and my memory was destroyed. The urge to watch 'something' grew too strong, and I skipped responsibilities at home, skipped studies and possible social gatherings just to do it. I learned that I had lost my identity and was no longer the beloved guy I was at school. All of the guys at the college were new to me, so there was no one who actually noticed the 'change'. At home, my mother did notice that I was showing less interest at everything, but it did not go very far nor did I want anyone to know the reason behind all of this. I stopped reading the bible, and I skipped prayers.
    I began searching online for solutions and that was the first time I learned of addictions and how difficult they were to overcome. I signed up for a Christian website (I want to mention it here, but I have forgotten it) that was aimed at helping people like myself. I was also allocated a guide pastor who I communicated by e-mail. I struggled to hold the desire even for a day. Somehow I managed for two days and I failed on the third. I was ashamed that I had failed him, I had failed God and I quit responding to the pastor's mail. That was the end of it.

The second year: Things followed suit, only this time I indulged in watching more extreme sources for masturbating. The same side effects began to take over me with more vigor. I began isolating myself from my family. Soon I became oblivious to the things I was supposed to take care of. I attempted to stop myself once in every two weeks, I would abstain for a max of two days and then I would fail. Sometimes I would want to cry over my helplessness. When I could not even do that, I would put my earphones on and listen to some song about hopelessness and that song would be my crying aid. I continued searching for help online. I studied content related to habit formation & breaking. They made sense, but i thought it would fail practically. After a few months, I decided to follow the advice that most sources gave me. I looked for a doctor and found one. I had no money to give the doctor for consultation (I wasn't earning back then), so I sold some stuff uselessly lying around the house to make up for it. I went to the doctor's clinic, and with a heavy heart blurted out everything in shame. He told me that my decision of visiting him was not well thought out (he considered that If he was going to prescribe drugs to me, I would have to consume them without anyone's knowledge, which could lead to even more trouble). I asked him if he can set me on the right path to freedom without prescribing drugs. But that was not his line of work, so he refused saying that there cannot be freedom without administration of drugs. I was shattered on this statement and the remaining of that day was a complete blur with my eyes moist most of the time. To this day, his words haunt me.

The third year: I became lifeless. I was doing less to control my urges, and I just let them take over me. After college, I got a job at a private company after many days of hopelessness. I understood that God still had mercy on me. At office, my condition grew even worse. I felt that I was a dead-weight dragging my co-workers down. They were far more intelligent and hard-working than me. They earned respect, while I earned everyone's scorn. I lost interest in work, in creativity and in learning new things. That eventually fueled my interest more towards masturbation, and I began to do it more now. I felt like my co-workers were letting me tag along out of mercy for a lost soul. The immense pressure to masturbate, when i abstain was demotivating me. I was sometimes ashamed of calling myself a Christian as that would become a blot on the name of Christ. I was afraid that others would consider myself an 'example christian'. I would love to be given that honor, but not now.

The current year: Add all the effects of despair and sorrow from the above, and multiply that sum by ten. That is what my life now is like. I do the things I hate. I am not interested in the things I loved. My whole life has become a huge paradox. I do the opposite of what I believe and what I speak.
    I have a very few friends, and none that know about half of what I am. I have lost the bond I shared with my family. They seem more like outsiders to me now.
    I fought, but I have failed. I often have mood swings, I have learned to control my emotions too much that people think I am happy when I am crying inside.I stay silent in all group conversations afraid of people judging me. I have stopped watching movies, television shows, sometimes even abstained from reading newspapers- afraid that it might contain things that would make me stumble. But all of these decisions I sometimes suppress when an urge arrives.
    I have gone beyond the point where i did it for pleasure. Now I do it because I have time, and because I am not good at doing anything else.When I do not have time I even dare to make time for it, cutting out all the essential activities. A lost- hopeless-hollow soul I am now. If someone who knew me from my schooldays would meet me now, he would puke in disgust at what I have become.

I knew about Nofap before, but I was afraid that what happened in the first year might repeat. Now I have gathered courage, and confessed everything out here. I have never done this before. The longest I have gone on abstinence is three days at home, and ten days when I am not at home. I have come here searching for hope and freedom. I would like to hug you and shake your hand with a warm smile if you have taken the pains to read the whole thing.

I have come here searching for freedom. I want freedom from everything that is holding me down. I want my old self back. I have a few questions for the Christian brothers here:
    #1 - Do you know someone who was in my condition or worse and has recovered successfully ? If not is there hope for me ?
    #2 - Can I fully recover without any medical assistance ?
    #3 - I would like to join an AP group. How can I do that with members of this group ?

brilliantidiot likes this.
  2. theManinBlack_1882

theManinBlack_1882 Fapstronaut

Hey there! I don't think I can adequately answer the questions you've laid out but I'd like to suggest two ways of coping with your struggles.

1) Join a local church. Hebrews 10:25 says to not neglect meeting together, but rather encourage one another. An authentic Bible-believing church will have the resources and loving people that can help you overcome this addiction. Before addressing the addiction, try to find the root cause of it.

2) See a psychotherapist (MFT, Psychologist, Psychiatrist, Social Worker). If you're still under your parent's insurance or under your work's health care insurance I do not think this would be too hard to do. I was diagnosed with a mental illness (not saying you have one, but it seems like you're definitely struggling with authentic depression and perhaps social anxiety) and being able to talk to a healthcare professional allowed me to use healthy coping mechanisms, as well as to hear someone else's perspective on what's going on in your life.

May God continue to bless you and cover you with His grace. Seek Him and you can never go wrong with going back to scripture reading.

3. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Fapstronaut

@Thomassawyer1914, it can get worse. You can continue your path until you cannot even achieve an erection. You can get to where no form of P will give you any physical reaction, and then it can continue getting worse. I am glad that you are stopping now, before you experience how bad it can get.
    You can check out the Christian Group, and the Forum for AP's to find a support group that fits your needs. There are a variety to choose from. On his threads, @D . J . has a great selection of suggestions for beginners.
    Unless you have other issues, you should be able to do this without medication. But, however you do it, it is not easy. With commitment, you can do it. If you stumble, do not panic, get back up quickly, and keep going. You are on the right path. Do not turn back.