1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I have asked Allah, Jesus, Jahve, Krishna and Buddha for Help

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

If it were nonsense I wouldn't be free. I got to know 2 people who being in prison and not knowing if God exists or not said in the middle of the night being in a deep depression a one sentence short prayer " Jesus if you exist then rescue me" . And after that they soon experienced deep peace and consolation and their lives begann to change gradually.

2. Instead of looking externally for help, look inside. Explore your experience. Realize that all you need to be happy is within you. Only you have forgotten you have it. You can go to that place right now. Just find who you are at your core. Are you your body? Well parts of your body can die or be replaced and you still live. So you aren't your body. Are you your thoughts or your feelings? Well, your thoughts come and go. They are fickle. They are impermanent. So you aren't your thoughts.

What are you then? You are the awareness observing all of this. Your thoughts, your emotions, your body, your breathing, the entire world. So whatever thoughts and feelings are troubling you, they aren't you. They are phenomena passing by like a red car would pass by your house. You wouldn't get upset by a red car passing by your house, would you?

The great thing about this method is that it doesn't rely on faith. You don't need faith to practice it. You don't need to try to force yourself believe in a god you are not sure exists. You can try it. And it either works, or it doesn't. It's basis is your own experience, not faith.

A daily meditation practice has helped me greatly to separate my thoughts and feelings and realize that what ever I am feeling is a temporary phenomenon. It will pass. It doesn't have anything to do with me. So why should I be so concerned that I am experiencing this feeling? It's just a red car passing by.

If you are interested in giving meditation a try, I would recommend starting with a basic concentration meditation (samatha). Focus on the feeling of the air going in and out of your nostrils- or the rise and fall of your stomach when you breathe. Whenever your attention strays, bring it back.

I've also found self-inquiry, non-dual meditation to help a lot in allowing me to see that I am beyond all the troubling thoughts and feelings. Here's a guide, if you are interested:

Prophet Harry likes this.
  3. Hey mate! Why don't you read the muslims' book "Quran" in your language? I think answers to all your questions can be found in it. All the best!

tawwab1 likes this.
  4. mykola_IL

mykola_IL Fapstronaut

This could just be acceptance and surrender. Eckhart Tolle teaches this.

5. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

This confusion whether there is God or not and provided He exists what is He like - this world of confusion and evil blended with good was the choice of the first people as you can read in the Bible.
    God created people destined to plan A - no evil, no death, illnesses, life in the presence of God (so no confusion if He exists or not and what is He like) but God gave them free will and the choice. One day came the snake and gave the people the choice. To have free will you must have a choice. No choice , no free will.
    As you know from the Bible the first people chose to live in plan C ( they thought they would be gods, totally independent, self sufficient and really happy) but it turned out that that snake told them some rubbish (they chose to believe in it) and from that time on people have been living in plan B.
    What does plan B look like you know very well - broken families, wars, growing old , death, rapes, pain , lack of hope tens of thousands of false religions etc. but all this mixed with true love, good people, true religion , hope in brief - plan B is a mix of hell, heaven and all states between them.
    Most, maybe all people who don't believe in God tend to think (believe) that God created the world in plan B. But the truth is that He created the world in plan A which had been rejected by people.
    He could have said one word - '' finish'' and all the evil , bad spirits, death would have vanished in one second or less but He chose that Jesus had to be brutally killed to rescue us in this chosen by us plan B.
    If He had done it (said the word - '' finish'') it would have turned out that He hadn't given people and angels free will because whatever bad would people and angels choose God would nullify the next second in order to save us and angels from any bad and painful results of our choices.
    So if God thinks so He should have created us and angels as animals in human bodies because animals have no free will and are totally unable to chose between good and bad. They have only some instinct so whatever they are doing they are always not guilty (consequently - no hell for them).
    The little problem is that God wanted / wants some intelligent creatures having a free will to chose whether they want to be with God or without Him.
    That's why we continue living in plan B in order to chose (with or without God).
    In order that the choice could be free we have to live in a state of not being sure.
    Let's take Jesus after rising from death would stay in this world and 40 years ago He would have come to you, talked to you in His human body, drink and eat with you and the same could He do anytime (always the same, without aging process, immortal, showing thousands of miracles seen by you).
    What choice would you have in this situation? You would be forced to believe because it would be no hesitation that God exists and what He says is all true. And you would be really afraid to go to hell if you didn't do what Jesus says. And who wants to go to hell?
    It would be like you are forced to reduce the speed of your car if you can see that directly behind you is a police car following you. No choice you have to keep the rules because the police is watching you right now.
    But what if you are not sure whether God exists or not? You can do what you want to (the only limits are the earthly law, your conscience but you can always modify your conscience by reading for example books and some people chose to break the law - they have only to avoid police and witnesses of their evil deeds.
    So we are free with our choices in this plan B, not forced to believe in God (at least in the countries we live).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  6. mykola_IL

mykola_IL Fapstronaut

Well, God put the snake in the garden, so the snake was part of his plan. And, this God knew with certainty what the snake would say and what it would lead to. So, Plan A was probably what we experience now

And then, look at God's law given to Moses. Look at the pain and suffering caused by this God. Death penalty for working on a Saturday? Slavery being condoned and host of other things.

But "Plan Jesus" doesn't work. Even according to Jesus himself, narrow is the path that leads to life and few find it. This means the plan is a failure. Unless God doesn't really want people to find the path to life.

7. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

First of all God didn't create the snake = satan. God created a good angel, the most powerful after God and that one decided to be independent of God. Satan has free will and decided to choose what he chose. So it wasn't the snake in God's plan A. The most angels didn't go with satan and they stayed with God which shows that the decision, choice to be with God or without , against Him was not God's plan but a fatal choice of the snake and his followers.
    Deciding was the intention - God didn't put the snake in the garden to ensure the fall of the man. The man had had free will and God allowed the snake to enter the garden. What would have been if God hadn't allowed the snake to enter the garden (so as to protect the man from the possible fall)?
    It would mean that in reality the man has no choice (choose between evil and good). It would mean that God didn't make a man but another type of animal (much more intelligent, being able to think and talk but being unable to choose something evil, being unable to reject God). So God would create an intelligent robot programmed to always be good and to always be with God. Such a robot wouldn't be a free person, only an animal - robot of new generation.
    And what with the idea that God risked to create a free person who had the ability to choose to be good or bad to be with God or ignoring Him or even to be against Him. The same with angels. God could have created angel - robots that would have never been able to think a thought against God.
    But such creatures He made - animals. They cannot be against God because they have been created not able to do this. So it seems God decided to risk, knowing that some of his free creatures (angels and humans) will reject Him. But this rejection has been the free choice. It seems you are rejecting God , I am choosing God. In 10 years or so it can change. maybe in 2030 I will be rejecting God and you will be choosing Him. The funny thing is that the man can always change their mind (until their death at least).
    I'm not a Protestant believing only in the Bible. I'm a Catholic. We believe in the Bible which can interpret only the Catholic Church plus we believe in so called Tradition equal with the Bible.
    That's why we Catholics believe that Moses' law was rather Hammurabi Codex changed in initial phases of Judaic religion to some monotheistic ideas. In brief - Moses' law - a human invention of those barbaric times when people killed and hated one another even more than today. And that human (Hammurabi) invention was a bit modified by Moses (if he existed) or some group of people having been inspired by God to start a way towards in future coming Jesus (so development of Judaic religion under God's inspiration) who founded the Church.
    So the Bible (especially Old Testament) has had two authors - the man and God. And as you know the man can err so the brutal punishments of the Moses' law were human invention but what was really good was God's inspiration. I can hear you laughing now but it's Catholic belief in general.
    The real problem have Protestants, especially those who believe that the only author of the Bible is God, the Bible coming down from heaven and written by God's finger. They have multitude of problems how to explain God being always good with 'His' brutal punishing decisions, even calls to murder some groups of people and cattle and other 'His' strange commands in OT.
    You know, Jesus' plan works in case of people who want to and choose to do what Jesus said and His Church (Catholic) teaches. (Yes, anew I can hear you laughing). But the one who rejects Jesus' plan (taught in apostolic Churches, so not only in the Catholic but also in the Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox) decides to destroy His plan in the world.
    The Jesus' plan isn't failure only the lack of implementation of this plan in the life of individuals is a failure.
    It's like someone seriously ill who came to an excellent doctor. The doctor prescribed him the best possible and really working medicine. The sick man after coming home decided not to buy the medicine in the chemists thinking that it won't help him and that the doctor is a character from fairy tales written for babies to advance them going asleep.
    So who has failed? The doctor, his medicine or the patient?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  8. mykola_IL

mykola_IL Fapstronaut

God has the perfect foreknowledge, correct? So God created Satan knowing full well what will become of him and then, after Satan rebelled, God allowed Satan to roam free (figuratively speaking). Sure, there are limitations as the book of Job shows, but Satan can tempt and cause problem. He's not locked up in hell.

Apparently, snake in the garden DID lead to the greatest tragedy imaginable. And God knew it would happen exactly as it did happen. So this makes God responsible. If I know with 100% certainty that if I scare my neighbor as a joke on Halloween (for example) and she will have a heart attack and die, and I decide to scare her anyways, then I'm responsible for her death even if I only frightened her as a joke. Because I had the perfect knowledge, that makes me responsible. If I didn't have the perfect foreknowledge, then I have an out. If God doesn’t know the future then he’s not responsible to the same degree but he’s also responsible for providing such a terrible choice. Is a good parent letting their children play in traffic or is a good parent one who limits their kids choices? Even Jesus said that a father would not give a stone if a child asks for bread. Why not give the kid a “choice”?

And there is really no free will either. We are conditioned by our parents and our circumstances that are often beyond our control. I didn’t chose my gender, I didn’t chose my parents, I didn’t chose the time and place of my birth, etc…. How can I have free will? I was born in the USSR to a religious family. Life was ok but nothing compared to the US. When I immigrated to the US I felt very happy. But this decision was guided by a not so good experience in the USSR. Would I chose the US if I was born in Norway or Switzerland? Probably not. And this example applies to other choice too.
    Why aren't you a Muslim? Chances are you don't have Muslim parents. If you had Muslim parents, there is a big chance Islam would make the most sense to you and you'd be a Muslim by "free choice".

Except a more correct example is the doctor giving the patient a bunch of pills and telling them one is so deadly, if they eat it, their whole future generations will be affected.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  9. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

We talk about our beliefs. We Catholics believe that satan 'created' himself - this means he had been created as a good angel but decided to rebel and so his deeds and way of thinking created him.
    We Catholics believe and so called exorcism cases show distinctly that satan has precisely limits of his 'roaming'. Every detail of his freedom is decided by God. For example if satan could roam really free then we both had been dead because of his hate at every man. But the limits to satan are given not only by God but additionally by us people. What the practice of exorcists says is that we can 'invite' satan giving him some rights to influence our life. For example somebody living outside of sacraments, outside of prayer is in the territory of satan. Somebody who chooses to live a life of a self centered person, doing mostly or even always

things for himself , not for others they give satan some rights to influence their life. Not mentioning so called satanists, thiefs, murderers, adulterers, (PMO, drug, alcohol) addicts too etc.
    The limited roaming of satan was chosen by men when they chose plan B (which occurred plan C in fact). The strength of temptations in plan A was much lower and the immunity to temptations in plan A was much higher. that's why we are so weak (as a result swimming in the PMO mire for example). As catholic Church says temptations give the opportunity to choose so their purpose is to give the men the opportunity to exercise their free will. You are to some extent free to choose a good or bad deed - there are of course addictions ( when our free will is on a very low level but the Church gives some working means - for example me having been PMO addicted for 33 years, I have been PMO free now for 10 years thanks to the means my Church gives me).
    We people decided in the past to invite him to our world. If his temptation in the garden had been rejected then he would be locked up in hell now.
    Yes, but it doesn't mean that the people of that moment weren't able to reject his temptation. They were. Free choice, no determination. I assume you were raised in Calvinist faith ( a heresy telling that all was determined , planned by God, so He created bad and good people and angels) but we Catholics and all apostolic Churches have always rejected this thinking as a grave heresy.

God had given the man enough means to reject the temptation in garden. Catholic theologians say if the man had started to pray to God during the temptation in garden God would have given him enough strength to reject the temptation and pass the test. The same was the case with satan - he decided one day not to pray which led him to fall into the temptation to be equal to God and he chose what he chose. So the guilt and responsibility were on the side of satan and the first people.
    For example who is responsible for a car accident. The road had been wet and icy. The road sign said - (30 km per hour (no more!). And the driver was after alcohol consumption, had old worn tires (ignored the car producer) and travelled 100 km/h. If you can make the car producer responsible for the accident (his guilt would be to produce fast cars for people) then you can make God responsible too because He could stop the man
    from getting in the car (He could cause the drunk man to fall asleep at the company party)
    but believing Catholics would make the drunk man breaking some rules responsible.
    This is not an apt comparison - children are silly because of their age and very limited experience. Catholic Church teaches that first people were far more intelligent, much stronger etc. than people after the fall in the garden. And they knew what to do - so they were not in such confusion, weakness (mental and physical) as people today in plan C. So the first people had much more recourses to reject the temptation than we have nowadays. And the resources were really sufficient.
    It's like if we met in a situation in a staircase and I would tell you don't enter the door on the left because there lives a murderer and lair, enter the door on the right and there lives an 18 years old miss of the world who had said that she dreams of being with you. But you don't believing in my words entered the left door ....
    If a child asks for bread so IF the child prays to God. Above I wrote that it would have been sufficient for the man to pray in the temptation to receive of God bread (the strength and motivation to reject the temptation and to pass the test for good and to remain in plan A forever).
    The free choice in the meaning of Catholic religion is not a free choice to be able to choose anything. If it were so than we would be gods. The free choice we have always but it's not unlimited. it's a limited but sufficient to rescue free choice.
    For example - living either in the Russia or in the USA or in any country you are able to try to be a good person, parent, worker, husband etc. or you don't care and are able to live only for yourself. Being a Muslim you would be able to either be so called radical (and doing what they do - look at Moscow these days) or a good Muslim treating all people well. Being in prison you were able to be a good inmate helping others or you could beat the weaker and robe them. Having a cancer you could choose to be good for your family members and thank for their help or you could choose to be aggressive, extremely unhappy cursing other people in your pain and quickly finishing life.
    Have you read Alexander Solzhenitsyn's 'Gulag'? You could read there about prisoners and guards - some of them chose to be good, some bad and some a mixture. So we have always some choice - in every situation. There are lots of things and situations we can't change but there are lots of circumstances in the same situations we are able to change.

Sometimes there are things we can't change now but after some struggle we will be able too. 13 years ago I thought I would be a PMO addict until I die and I weren't able to change this. But after implementing some information I read I became able to change this.

Still it's my choice. If I chose the deadly pill I would be simply an idiot. And what do you do taking antibiotics in flu? Do you drink alcohol during the cure? The instruction says you must not because of possible health complications. What do you choose. Do you believe doctors say truth here? Or how many antibiotic pills do you take in flu? 10, 20 at once to quicken the recovery or you keep doctor's instructions - one pill every 8 hours? If you take 20 at once then who is responsible for the fatal results the doctor or you?
    The same with people. He had known that they wouldn't reject the temptation. But not all angels chose the hell and not all people chose / will choose it. I think if God had known that all the created angels would be damned plus all the created people would be damned then He wouldn't create them or He would create them unable to reject Him. So He would have created them as not free. No free will.
    But what with the damned angels and people? They chose the hell. God didn't throw them there. One exorcist asked an evil spirit during an exorcism - Why won't you ask God for forgiveness God would forgive you and you could go out of the pain in hell. The devil screamed angry - NEVER!!!
    The same tell Catholic theologians about people in hell - they don't want to be with God and don't want to ask God for forgiveness. And this will never end. So they don't want to go to heaven and be good and be with God. They hate and curse God. What should God do? Take them to heaven against their will?
    Even if He did it the people and former angels not wanting to be in heaven they simply will continue commit sins and the condition to be in heaven is no sins. Their choice. God is the owner of heaven. He said there is one main condition which results in some known conditions. The main condition - you have to obey God - other resulting from this conditions - you can't steal, murder , lie ( in brief - you can't sin there).... etc. if somebody doesn't want to keep God's conditions they mustn't be in heaven.
    If you think it's unjust - such conditions - then imagine you are the owner of your flat, house and you say to a group of people - everybody is invited except for murderers, thieves, pedophiles etc. As the owner do you have the right to decide so or would you let in all the people knowing that in your flat you have your children, wife?

Theoretically God could annihilate them in hell - they would stop existing. Why God doesn't do it? And what if evil spirits and people in hell don't want to stop to exist? We don't know. It's only some speculation, mind gymnastics. No right answer here. Catholic theology doesn't say. There are simply some or better said many things we have no information because God hasn't told this either in the Bible or in the Church.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  10. mykola_IL

mykola_IL Fapstronaut

I respect your beliefs, but will counter that God still created satan because God knew with 100 percent certainty how Lucifer will turn out before he created him and still chose to create him.
    Foreknowledge makes God responsible for the outcome.
    Perhaps Adam’s children would not reject the temptation? Sounds like having a snake in the garden is a nuclear option that did not have to be there. Whose choice, btw, was it to put the snake in the Garden of Eden? And if I am responsible for my choices why isn’t God responsible for his?

God could have created Adam and Eve with an even better intelligence than what they had, and yet he chose to give them what he gave them. Also, I suggest you read Genesis 3 carefully. What is curious to me, is that the snake turned out to be speaking the truth. God said in the day you eat of the tree of knowledge you will die. Snake said, you will not die, but your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. And God said the same thing after people ate of the forbidden fruit. He said the man has become like one of us. What was the next thing? God was worried that with this new knowledge, the man will eat of the tree of life and live forever! This could not be allowed, so God evicted the people from the Garden of Eden. Amazing “choice”, right? So, God prevents people from living forever but doesn’t prevent their talking to the snake. What kind of “free will” is that?

11. Ghost️

Ghost️ Fapstronaut

One of the biggest issues I see in these kinds of discussions is an inconsistency in fairness. You’re accusing God of something based on the nature of your reality. If God is perfect and unchanging, then he’s not subject to time so there is not past or future events with God. If you’re going to accuse God of evil you need to do so according to his reality, not yours. With that said, how is God responsible for Lucifer’s choice?

Also your argument of foreknowledge making someone responsible for the outcome isn’t logically consistent. I have foreknowledge that the sun will rise in the east and set in the west; this knowledge doesn’t make me responsible for it. Likewise if I created a being with free will and had the foreknowledge they would abuse their free will, I’m still not responsible for the choice they made to abuse their free will.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  12. mykola_IL

mykola_IL Fapstronaut

In that case, why call God good and Satan evil? Perhaps they should not be judged by human standards at all. It’s very strange to me that God can be good even if he does things we call evil. If humans did what God does, they’d be evil. But God remains perfectly good.

You don’t know that the sun will rise and set. You assume that it will. Scientists say the sun will explode some millions or billions of years from now. You don’t know if this will happen. Besides, you didn’t create the sun. If you did knowing that it will explode killing everything on the earth, then you would be responsible for that.
    In short, knowing the future doesn’t make you responsible for the outcome, but creating something knowing 100% how it will turn out makes you responsible.
    If I know that the child I conceive tonight will, with 100 percent certainty, become a serial killer, and I conceive him anyway, then I’m responsible for conceiving him!

13. Ghost️

Ghost️ Fapstronaut

But this is where you stray since you didn’t conceive a serial killer, you convinced an infant who through their own choice became a serial killer. That doesn’t make you responsible.
    Why call God good? Because God is perfect. That which is perfect is good. Satan is evil because he rejects that which is perfect.

God shouldn’t be judged by human standards because we lack the capacity to judge Him accurately/correctly. Satan can be judged by us as evil because like us, he’s not God.

14. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

But what with the argument that satan and people in hell still have the choice to ask God for forgiveness and get out but they don't want to do it. Somebody is attacking you with an axe you say to him - stop! don't do it! but they are still attacking you, you repeat stop! and they are attacking you over and over again. Do you think you are responsible for his attacks?
    In the world of nature we ( you and me) bear consequences of the lives , genes and culture of our ancestors and the societies and communities they lived. And this will continue in the lives of our children and their children and so on. Such is the law of nature. The first people hadn't lived in the law of nature ( for example they had been immortal) , The result of their fall was that they entered the world of laws of nature. So they chose for us such a world. It's like your parents chose for you to leave the USSR , chose for you your schools and religion. Such is the law of nature. Older generations decide about almost all conditions of life of their future generations. The law of nature is a typical feature of plan C but God had prepared for us plan A - being independent from the laws of nature.
    Growing up in the USSR you wouldn't have any contact to porn ( strict censorship) so it's much more possible that you wouldn't be a PMO addict. I think you don't make your parents guilty for your addiction because of them having left the USSR.
    The situation seems to be like this - God created angels and people having known that some of them end up in hell. God gave them possibility to choose where they want to live forever - either hell or heaven. But the damned in hell still choose living in hell. They choose it because they don't want to ask God for rescue and don't want to change themselved from bad to good. Why is God responsible for their choice?
    Producers of knives know that each year there are thousands of murders where the produced knives are used. I assume you don't make them responsible for the murders because of their knowledge that their products are sometimes used to very bad things. You won't find a court of law in the world who would accuse knives producers because of their foreknowledge and produced knives.
    God is not responsible for the first fall because it was not His choice. Like in the case of knives producers.
    He did it in the case of angels whose intelligence and strength are far higher than the humans'. Both angels and the first people had enough intelligence to ask God for help to withhold the temptation.
    In the language of the Bible there are two or more different meanings of the word death. One of them is not living with God , so spiritual death. Satan didn't tell the truth because he suggested you will still live in happiness, even you'll be more happy because you will be like God. The result was that we often live like animals and after the first death we can possibly experience the second death - hell. Satan didn't suggest this for sure.
    Catholics don't take the OT literally. Taken it literally it could seem like you wrote but for us it's only a tale which explains why we people have to experience so much suffering in our lives. We don't believe in sola scriptura. In the tales of the OT not every detail can be analysed as God given truth. These could have been human invented ancient tales ( from old pagan times) which then were changed in some elements by some people inspired by God. So what often counts in such a story is so called moral. The story itself can be something like a fairy tale ( the man who for 3 consecutive days travelled in the stomach of that fish without oxygen inside it ) but it's not true what the story says but it's true the moral. And the true inspired by God morals of the story are for example:
    1. It's devastating for a man not to obey God ( Jonahs' calamities which touched other people too , it's like in case of addicts, not only they destroy their lives but they destroy or make worse the lives of their families, communities they live).
    2. It's profitable for a man and the all living with him when he starts obeying God. ( The second part in Niniva)
    3. When a man or a group of men repent, change their life then God changes their presence and future.

15. mykola_IL

mykola_IL Fapstronaut

Normally, you'd be right. Because a parent has no way of knowing how their child would turn out. However, my argument is, that if a parent knows with 100 percent certainty (which no human can possibly know) then that parent would be responsible for giving birth to a serial killer.

. How do you know that? the Bible gives us a picture of a God who changes his mind, who resorts to death penalty for trivial crimes (such as working on a Saturday) who's very inconsistent, saying "though shalt not kill" on the one hand, and they saying "go and kill every Amalekite, including women and children".

At the end of the day, why would God give us capacity to judge and then create an exception for himself?

Religion of my youth did not provide for an option to change one's mind after death. If there is a choice for people or demons in hell to change their fate, then I think that's fair.

And whose choice was that? Couldn't God just create a situation whereby we are automatically saved, heaven bound and if we want hell, we'd have to actively seek it? With such a condition, I believe most would just chose not to do anything and would, by default, end up in heaven. Why did God make hell the default state instead of making heaven default?

I was an early bloomer. There was no porn, that's true, but there was sexual imagery similar to lingerie catalogs. Also, I remember some classmate brining playing cards to school with fully nude women, similar to Playboy imagery. So, while porn wasn't as easy to access there as it was in the US, it was there in much milder forms.
    Also, my addiction is not really PMO, but more the porn. I have an urge to collect highest definition of videos I could find of women I find attractive. I resent not being able to have relations with them in the real life. I partly blame my upbringing for my situation, because of my ethnic background and the prohibition on sexual relations, I felt forced to chose less than optimal woman to marry. My wife is a great person in many ways, but I seldom found her sexually attractive. She was not my type, but she was, as I must admit painfully, the best option for me at the time. I would advise my younger self against marrying my wife knowing what I know now, but, at the time, I was a believer, trusting God to give me the right feelings and to make things work. When I was getting married, I actually wanted to break things off, but my former faith in God kept me committed. This, I now believe, is what made me irresistible to my wife too, because women don't like needy men, but men who don't need them.

When a prophecy fails, alternative phrases and meanings and paraphrases can help the prophet. In the context of Genesis 3, God clearly said that in the DAY they eat of of the forbidden tree, they shall surely die. Well, people did not surely die in that day, Adam and Even had lived for years (or centuries if taken literally) afterwards. Again, they could have eaten of the tree of life and live forever (as in not die at all).

I'm open to the alternative meanings of the Bible. I like what Eckhart Tolle says about the Bible and the teachings of Jesus. In some ways, we may all be a reflection of the cosmic consciousness (God?) that lives in all of us, including all of the animals and plants. And we "sin" when we try to separate from the source, when we think that we are separate entities and act like separate entities. Perhaps this was what Satan's fall was about. He thought that he was separate from God?

16. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Yes, religion of your youth ( Baptists?) was right in this point. The choice after death still exists but for sure no devil and no human in hell will change their mind. I wrote about this possibility only to explain that it's not that angry God punishes humans and evil spirits in everlasting hell but rather that they in fact prefer the everlasting hell to the everlasting heaven with God. Why? They think God is a liar, don't believe Him, curse Him , they want to stay bad , they hate anybody and themselves etc. It's like you are physically able to kill a baby using a knife but we know that you won't do it for sure. Never. Because you aren't a psycho or someone similar.
    Yet He created such conditions in the garden. People were saved there automatically, heaven bound but they decided to actively to seek hell. Yes, they were lied by satan that they can find a better heaven with them as gods but their guilt was that they ceased to believe God and started to believe the lair. Salvation from faith but when you loose your faith then you are not saved. Don't Baptists say something similar?
    No option. We had to do something actively in the garden. Many tasks as you read Genesis.
    I see - the same in my former Communist country - Poland. But for sure children , youth and adults have much more possibilities to become sex addicts in countries where porn is legal and accesible after some clicks on the smartphone.
    Anybody involved in porn is / won't be able to be happy with their wife, partner because the core of porn addiction is to be like a god. This god can choose among the most beautiful women in the world - even hundreds of choices per day. Each race, age, facial beauty, body type etc. and they never get older. If they get older there come thousands of young beauties. You don't need to have an argument with them, they always smile, make no problems, no requirements, they are ideal sexual slaves. Even sultans in their harems didn't have such opportunities to choose the best one from hundreds of thousands girls.

What I mean is even if you had a miss of America as a wife she would bore you soon. There would come a day when you would prefer a girl from the internet than her. And PIED would turned up soon if you wanted to fulfill your tiresome duty with her.
    Where I know it from? From thousands of stories of sex addicts and from my life. Such is a curse of a sex addict.

In brief - you go to the kitchen really hungry and you can choose only one thing to eat. A 3 day's old cheep sausage from the fridge or a fresh rusty cruspy pleasantly warm chicken? We both know what you will choose for sure.
    They died spiritually in the moment of consuming the fruit or maybe in the moment when they stopped believing in what God had said because the rest was only a result of loosing the faith.
    In Catholicism the moment you comit a grave sin you die spiritually, fall of grace, you throw God away from your life and you remain spiritually dead until you repent, ask for forgiveness and decide change your life. This should end in the sacrament of confession. Then you rise from the dead. As you see life and dead have literally and figurative meanings in the Bible. For example Christians believe that after they died they end up either in everlasting hell or heaven. They will never cease to exist. So you could say that any Christian lies when they say that their grandma has died! She still lives but in another circumstances and conditions.

I tend to believe in only one true religion and one true interpretation of the Bible. At the most in some very similar variants of the one truth.
    The reality in this world tells me that there is only one truth but not many possible truths.
    For example - if I jump off my balcony I won't be flying up or sidewards or another possible movement beside directly downwards. The variant of it can be a really strong wind so I'll fall on the ground 2 meter sidewards below my balcony.
    The same with age. We , animals, plants spiders .... only get older with time. There is not possible for somebody or something to stop getting older or to get younger with age.
    When I train brazilian jujitsu I lose power gradually with any further lasting minute of the fight. Never I was in the situation that the hard fight lasted and I had more and more power and stamina. And I have never noticed it in case of other jujitsu adepts.
    The same is how to stop being an addict. There are some universal tools in some limited variants which work and ghousands of imaginary ineffective 'methods' which are false or at least much less effective.

mykola_IL likes this.