1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by thatsingleindividual#K-13

There are at times when I can get pretty cynical with the sexual teachings of the Catholic church, despite having chosen to become a member of it (I've been in it for only over a year). You see, my main concern at times is that some of these sexual teachings go far back into the past, into medieval times, and further back than that, and then also, of more recent times. I get put off when I hear the church says masturbation is a "grave evil". I think, grave evil? No, no, no--Jack the Ripper is a grave evil but masturbation is something....well, and then I draw a little blank. It is definitely not a grave evil, I think at times. I get the C.S. Lewis analogy about how one becomes a prisoner inside of themselves but at other times, it seems like it is a perfectly natural activity. You hear, here and there, people, professionals, claim it is perfectly normal and masturbation actually has some health benefits to it. If they mention religion, it is cynical: "Masturbation has gotten a bad rap. The Catholic Church teaches you go to hell if you do it willingly", and at times, I sympathize with their cynicism, especially since we do have an institution that has a problem with its sexual teachings. I want to be a catholic and yet, I want to wank off and not feel bad about it. Not all day, not all the time--but, from time to time. Words, anyone?
miXhal more_vert
miXhal
You have chosen to become a member of it? May I ask on what basis, please? (Just curious here, I´ll try to adress the rest after this)
Sleepless island more_vert
Sleepless island
C.S. Lewis talks about sexual morality in Mere Christianity. He says that we have instincts to think sexual sins are normal. This means that either Christianity is wrong or our insincts (as they are now) are wrong. He then says that our sexual instincts are wrong because if we were as obsessed with food as we are with sex (eating more than enough not just for one or two but for many persons, looking at pictures of food all the time, putting food in our mouth without swallowing) we would consider our instinct wrong. He explains it better than I can so you should probably just read his chapter on sexual morality.
miXhal and dlansky like this.
dudeface more_vert
dudeface
A careful reading of the Catechism will show that the church acknowledges that masturbation can become a very deeply ingrained habit, and that it is one easy to fall into. That fact alone MAY reduce one's culpability and thus for a particular individual it may not actually be a MORTAL sin. However, it remains a grave sin and it is my opinion it should always be confessed and one should be constantly making the effort to stop.
miXhal likes this.
dudeface more_vert
dudeface
Additionally I want to comment. The AGE of a doctrine alone is not indication of its truth or untruth. Keep in mind the majority of westerners at the moment think abortion is acceptable. Something their grandparents would have thought an abomination. If anything I would argue that the older a doctrine, the MOORE likely it is to be true. At least if it appears in the teaching of the church very early on. Because, the further back you go the closer you are to the time, place, language and culture, of the people who actually received Christ's teaching.
Delirious 1 2018 more_vert
Delirious 1 2018
it puts our desires and will ahead of what God has planned and called us to do. It is a selfish act and a form of idolatry. The Church has withstood time because its teachings are based on the words and actions of Jesus. And yet, even if we gravely sin, we are still forgiven if we repent...
thatsingleindividual#K-13 more_vert
thatsingleindividual#K-13
To miXhal: There was at one point in my life I was a Methodist. Well, the family had a falling out with the church (especially the Methodist conference) and so they turned Baptist (my mom and dad are not really baptized). I did not like the Baptist church (it was a First Baptist church). Too simpleton. I did not like its teachings or theology, basically that of the Protestant fundamentalist-type.
I've been curious about Catholicism for quite some time. I am the only Catholic in my family. I found it to be a unique form of religion. There were many things that captivated me--one being, Catholic means "universal". I saw that it goes back all the way to the beginning and so there was that, it being around for nearly 2,000 years! I was attracted to its emphasis on the saints and holy people, the commemoration.
But I admired very much its ability to, on one hand, remain conservative, yet also remain open-minded. It was an intellectual attraction that I saw, and so I drew nearer and nearer. I like how it is formed and shaped, the rituals and traditions, and the continuation of holding these things firmly without ever letting go of the important things (though a traditionalist might argue against that).
Sadly, now, I'm starting to become a bad catholic. I'm going to write more about this in a new post and see what you guys think. Maybe you can sympathize. Keep your eyes open!