1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by thatsingleindividual#K-13

There are at times when I can get pretty cynical with the sexual teachings of the Catholic church, despite having chosen to become a member of it (I've been in it for only over a year). You see, my main concern at times is that some of these sexual teachings go far back into the past, into medieval times, and further back than that, and then also, of more recent times. I get put off when I hear the church says masturbation is a "grave evil". I think, grave evil? No, no, no--Jack the Ripper is a grave evil but masturbation is something....well, and then I draw a little blank. It is definitely not a grave evil, I think at times. I get the C.S. Lewis analogy about how one becomes a prisoner inside of themselves but at other times, it seems like it is a perfectly natural activity. You hear, here and there, people, professionals, claim it is perfectly normal and masturbation actually has some health benefits to it. If they mention religion, it is cynical: "Masturbation has gotten a bad rap. The Catholic Church teaches you go to hell if you do it willingly", and at times, I sympathize with their cynicism, especially since we do have an institution that has a problem with its sexual teachings. I want to be a catholic and yet, I want to wank off and not feel bad about it. Not all day, not all the time--but, from time to time. Words, anyone?
miXhal more_vert
miXhal
You have chosen to become a member of it? May I ask on what basis, please? (Just curious here, I´ll try to adress the rest after this)
Sleepless island more_vert
Sleepless island
C.S. Lewis talks about sexual morality in Mere Christianity. He says that we have instincts to think sexual sins are normal. This means that either Christianity is wrong or our insincts (as they are now) are wrong. He then says that our sexual instincts are wrong because if we were as obsessed with food as we are with sex (eating more than enough not just for one or two but for many persons, looking at pictures of food all the time, putting food in our mouth without swallowing) we would consider our instinct wrong. He explains it better than I can so you should probably just read his chapter on sexual morality.
miXhal and dlansky like this.