1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do to survive winter?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 10, 2017.

1. So I live a stone throw from the arctic circle, we get 2 hours of daylight during winter, and at coldest winter yet -50c. During this time of the year, is when I used to be the most depressed.

First of all, its dark when you get up and its dark when you get home, then cause the lack of sunlight vitamin D is low, which just adds to the depression and the feeling of isolation.

One might ask "Why would anyone want to live there?" Well first thing first its my home, secondly during summer we get daylight 24/7 and the summers are great. This however is not what I want this discussion to be about.

This thread is about helping people get through winter I myself take vitamin D supplements, and I go out to ski during daylight when I can.

My question for this discussion is "What do you do to survive winter?"

TIMMY0110 and Gone Airbourne like this.
  2. (exuberant californian laugh)

summer must be pretty damn nice for you to tolerate living where the air hurts your face

3. Its the coldest recorded temperature. Temperature ranges from -15c to -40c an average around -25c.
    Like I said not what the discussion should be about.

4. Winter can be depressing at times where I live too...although it's not as extreme here. Are there any group activities that you have access to?

5. S777

S777 Fapstronaut

Hmm. Metaphorically speaking, to survive through the winter I’d need to do quite a bit of reading to stave off cabin fever. If your interested, I’d recommend Jack London.

vibemaker and RainbowShell like this.
  6. I turn on the heater.

You’re welcome.

7. WreckTangle

WreckTangle Fapstronaut

Now that is what I call winter!

I'm in southern Ontario. I actually prefer cold (that's -15 to -20 here) winter days to hot, muggy days of summer. I have experienced -40 a few times out west and that didn't bother me, but it also didn't stick around for long.

My winter experience is easy for me to handle. I love snow storms and go out with my dog in them just for the experience. I enjoy driving on snow and ice too. I used to ski and skate when I was younger and really enjoyed that. I would definitely have to acclimatize to arctic winters. I suspect the long periods of no sunshine would wear on me after a while.

Saskia Simone and RainbowShell like this.
  8. nerd_lean

nerd_lean Fapstronaut

You guys are so lucky to have snow. We dont have winter here in Indonesia. We have the sun throughout the year shining and burning. There were some moments where I couldn't sleep at night because of the hot air. PMO was my way to make myself sleepy. I know this is kinda out-of-the-topic but yeah I just wanna share haha. I have nothing to and responding to the threads is what I do to kill the boredom.

WreckTangle likes this.
  9. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Being somewhere with -40ºC winters, I can empathize with how it can affect a person.

I deal with it by embracing the cold and the dark, winter is my favourite time of year. I love getting bundled up, going out into the crisp air and lying back in a bed of snow...looking up at the winter stars. When the snow falls, I go outside in that too and enjoy the wonder of how similar the multitude of snowflakes falling around me looks like the stars are falling to the ground. It is hauntingly beautiful. With a little imagination, I can feel like I am out in space (if it only weren't for the gravity).

I feel amazing in the winter, even without vitamin D supplements, because it is simple a shift in perception that dispels the weight of darkness.

10. Supermarron

Supermarron Fapstronaut

Look at Russian people thriving winter Mr Putin hunting and fishing and being commander in all things buy workout machines so u can use some hormones and stay on nofap

11. letter

My Journal
    I just thought of a bit of practical advise along the lines of what @Supermarron was saying. Beyond finding a way to love something about the season you are in, you can get a special high intensity light that mimics the light of the sun. You sit under it for an hour or so a day and it helps with SAD (seasonal affective disorder)

Check out this for some general info (all wikipedia, safe to visit):
    Seasonal Affective Disorder
    Light Therapy
    Artificial Sunlight
    Full-spectrum Light

If you're tight on money, with a little technical know-how, you can DIY an LED light that will do the above for a reasonable cost. Be prepared to have to dig a little into electric theory though.

I still maintain that a solution that you find within yourself is best, but it can take time to find and develop that. Until then, artificial light is an excellent remedy.

WreckTangle likes this.
  12. Build fires. Hunt furry things. Check the mail/take out garbage in boxer briefs to get that nipply feeling.

jet_vet3003 likes this.
  13. I live in a small village, closest town or store/town is 90km away, So I live quite isolated, no real activities that I can go to, but I will figure something out, Got a lot of good tips here, and a few jokes ha ha, The sun lamp not a joke though but amusing could be a good idea if it works.
    Any who, Im not sure this winter will be the same for me, cause im on nofap so might go easier this year, cause im not depressed atm, before I was heavily depressed going into winter so guess that kind of stacked on top of things.

WreckTangle, LEPAGE and letter like this.
  14. letter

My Journal
    @RainbowShell... If you get stuck trying to figure out a sun-lamp, shoot me a PM. I may not be able to help you with everything, but I may be able to at least point you in the right direction. Some people close to me use one for SAD and I've seen it help them. Combine it with a good book and you've got a wonderful hour to look forward to everyday.

WreckTangle and RainbowShell like this.
  15. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

Well I live in a city near the sea in the "lukewarm" zone of the world, so winter's not too cold and summer's not too hot, however, unlike most of the world, here winters are "wet" and summer is "dry" so it rains a lot and sometimes it's very depressing. When I'm not seeing my friends I usually just stay at home on the couch lol reading, playing bass or listening to music really, I hate working out when it's not sunny and I'm busy with school.

16. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

Tanning (not bad for you if you don't burn) gives you both bright light and vitamin D. Exercise is a good way to balance hormones and not feel stressed.

17. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Tanning is bad for you, get your vitamin D from a pill instead. Most calcium vitamins have vitamin D included.

18. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

Nope. There is no scientific evidence that tanning under low-pressure UV lamps without burning has detrimental effects.

Vitamin D supplements don't give you bright light exposure, which has also been shown to be beneficial for moods and circadian rhythm. In some studies, vitamin D supplementation was actually associated with higher health risks.

I can't post links yet, so do a search for these titles for more info:

Vitamin D Pills Are of Little or No Benefit and Some Harm. So What to Do Now?

Review Article: Vitamin D, sun, sunbeds and health

A study titled 'A Prospective Study of Pigmentation, Sun Exposure, and Risk of Cutaneous Malignant Melanoma in Women' followed over 100,000 women for eight years and found that tanning increased melanoma risk by only fractions of a percent. The trade off is that it greatly reduces the risk of other cancers--by up to 40%.

19. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

There's no such thing as a healthy tan. 15 minutes of unprotected skin in the sunlight gives all the vitamin D you can produce in a day.

Deleted Account likes this.