1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do to survive winter?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 10, 2017.

1. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I just looked up he study, and here's what it says:

In other words, it indeed shows that tanning does increase the risk of melanoma. Even if it's by a tiny bit, it's still significant statistically (meaning 0 isn't in the CI). The other 2 cancers aren't near as deadly as melanoma due to the shape and functions of mutated melanocytes.

Poseidon likes this.
  2. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Melanoma is quite deadly. I lost a family member to that. She used to tan a lot too. Go figure.

MLMVSS likes this.
  3. I can relate with your weather conditions, but mine usually is more managable! Regarding the weather but the sunlight conditions are pretty much the same! As I’ve been photographing a sunrise at -25 degrees I pretty much enjoy magical winter mornings, but I only get those conditions when I visit other parts of Sweden where I not usually live. ;) Otherwise I handle them like many others have said, working out do regular everyday things like studying but ofc everything gets a little bit worse when its dark n stuff but I kind of enjoy it in some way. You just got to accept it, but I guess Im lucky as Im not living 90km from nearest town, maybe my opinions would be different then. I like winter where I live, I just wish it was more snow over the winter month, it variates a lot.

4. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

Relative risk, not absolute risk. It compares the risk of one group to the risk of another group, instead of saying what the overall risk is. It's a sneaky way of making statistics appear more relevant. In this instance, 0.003% of the group who tanned developed melanoma compared to 0.002% of the group who didn't tan.

That's a statistically significant relative risk, because 0.003% is larger than 0.002% by 1.5 times. But the overall risk of melanoma from tanning is just 0.001% greater than not tanning. In other words, it's negligible.

Plus, the studies don't compare people who safely tan and people who overdo it and burn. That's an important factor. I bet that if you did that comparison you'd find that even the tiny 0.001% difference disappears.

Higher vitamin D levels are protective against all internal cancers. Tanning is a great way of raising vitamin D.

5. Opportunity For Better

What makes you think that?

One study of people in the US navy ('Occupational sunlight exposure and melanoma in the US Navy') found that sun exposure seemed to be protective against melanoma. The people who developed melanoma were the ones who spent most of their time out of the sun. The people who worked on the decks all the time didn't get it.

If you read the medical article 'Benefits of Sunlight: A Bright Spot for Human Health' it says:

"...continued high sun exposure was linked with increased survival rates in patients with early-stage melanoma in a study reported by Marianne Berwick, an epidemiology professor at the University of New Mexico, in the February 2005 Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Holick also points out that most melanomas occur on the least sun-exposed areas of the body, and occupational exposure to sunlight actually reduced melanoma risk in a study reported in the June 2003 Journal of Investigative Dermatology."

Humans have spent basically our entire existence in the sun. There's no way we're not supposed to be outdoors in sunlight. It's not logical.

6. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Except for the fact that it can kill you.

7. Opportunity For Better

So can drinking water.

WreckTangle likes this.
  8. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Still a 50% increase, which further proves my point.

Tanning beds only give UVA light, and Vitamin D is produced by UVB light. Even so, as I said, you only need 10-15 minutes of unprotected sun to produce all the Vitamin D you can in a day.

Humans also spent basically our entire existence dying at age 40 until a few hundred years ago. Many cases of melanoma occur after those ages.

9. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

There's a difference between just drinking water, and drinking litre after litre of it in one sitting. With tanning beds, you're doing the latter.

10. Opportunity For Better

Actually, most tanning beds provide 95% UVA and 5% UVB, which is about the same ratio as natural sunlight.

This depends on the time of day and the pigmentation of your skin. Also, vitamin D is not the only beneficial thing gained from sunlight exposure.

This is a common myth. Humans died more often in birth and early childhood, mostly due to lack of sanitation, accidents, and famines. But once people got to their late teens they lived about as long as we do today.

11. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

12. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

No one's saying the Sun is bad; certainly, I didn't. From your arguments, however, you are advocating for an industry built on overexposure of radiation that, in turn, becomes toxic.

Life expectancy takes into account the average lifespan from infanthood. Is it skewed due to childhood? Sure, but it's not a myth. It just means for every 1 infant that died, another lived to be around 70.

13. Opportunity For Better

14. I absolutely love it too! I actually get up in the dark so I can take some quiet, beautiful walks with my fiancé, especially when it snows. I've never had a problem with the dark and find it brings out the beauty of my city.

MLMVSS likes this.
  15. Happy you are having a good time with the darkness, cant say I am or was but its going better this winter so far. You live in England so you get around 6-8 hours of daylight during the darkest hours of winter or something also you live in the city where there are lights and things are alive not out in the wilderness next the to arctic circle where we get 2 hours of daylight.

Going out in the cold -40 1.5m of snow not a light in sight just you and the wolfs, sound cosy right over exaggerating a bit haven't seen a wolf in years. Like I said happy you enjoy the darkness, don't know if you would if you lived out here though, I still enjoy winter in the beginning I was just out for a long journey on my skis and it was nice, I love snowfall and it is peaceful here but its early and we still get around 4 hours of daylight atm also have been enjoying the stars and the northern lights, so its always positive thing.
    Maybe the winter wont be as bad this year or my view of it, its all in my head anyhow so.

Im actually happy I don't live further north cause just 200km north of where I live they go months without daylight total darkness 24/7.

MLMVSS likes this.

16. Honestly I'd love to get away from the city and be at peace, that is too cold for me though. I actually don't get any sunlight as I get up when the sun goes down and go to bed before sunrise so I dunno, I love it and don't have a problem with darkness and whatnot.

For some people it does bother them, like you and that's okay.

RainbowShell and MLMVSS like this.
  17. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I love the dark too, and I got used to it when I was doing grave shifts. It's peaceful during the dark here (most nights, though we have... rather interesting student parties here). It just sucks in the winter because I'm sure nobody has heard of insulation here before.

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. Im starting to feel it, Been having a real hard time getting up in the mornings the last few days and im tired 24/7, I still get up at the time I am supposed to but It takes every ounce of willpower I got to get myself out of bed. Like this morning It was cold in my bedroom, I was under my cover and it was warm and comfortable so cosy, I was like "just 10 more minutes, dam it!". But im going to stay positive and hope it will pass.

Been going out during the day, just no direct sunlight cause the sun cant go up fully its under the horizon. So vitamin D goodbye, going to have to figure something else out to get my daily dose of Vitamin D. Got a few good suggestions but think with the money I have supplements might be the only choice ATM.

Anyway Hope you all are having a great winter, its not all bad I still enjoy it more this year then I did last so maybe things will be ok.

19. DarkwingDuck

DarkwingDuck Fapstronaut

Fly South.

Seriously. I go to Florida.

20. RecoveringFapaholic

RecoveringFapaholic Fapstronaut

Snowbird, eh? (Sorry I couldn't resist)

DarkwingDuck likes this.