1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jul 14, 2020.

1. You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems

That is a quote from James Clear, the author of Atomic Habits. I recently finished reading his book and immediately that line stood out to me. It got me thinking of past goals I had and why I achieved some but did not others. It made me realize how important systems are. During the rest of the post I will be using systems/habits together.

But what’s the difference between habits and systems? A habit is something like meditation where you do it without even thinking about it. But a system is a sitting reminder to meditate but to do it first thing in the morning so you have no excuse. Systems can help form habits but your habits can reinforce your system.

There is a difference between systems/habits and goals. For example a goal is dead lifting 150kg in 2 months from now. But a system is showing up every day to the gym (habit), the technique used, the different variations of deadlifts used (system), the different expertise you do to strengthen your back and legs (system), how you recover (system). Another example is wanting to hit a revenue of $100,000 is defined as a goal. The system/habits is the customer service, the product R&D, Marketing, number of sale, etc. system is the support we use to reach our goals. The goals are the target.

Systems and habits can be either professional or personal. Working out and mediation will get you fit in and help clear the mind long term for personal healthy/reason. But you can have them for work as well.

Here is an example as told by James Clear click here, this is called the paper clip strategy. Another example is I have been using the same to-do list app for 2 years and I have built the habit of writing things I forget I need to do immediately by having the app on my phone and laptop. By having things to do everyday I have a sense of purpose which lowers my chances of anxiety and depression. Because of this I get bored of watching Netflix after two episodes, except when the show is good. 

If you want to achieve your goals you’re going to need system/habits; you can build your system/habits around your goals. Or have system/habits that allow you to achieve different goals. An example is that I want to become a life coach and for me, my system/habits is writing posts like this one, talking to people on this forum and other places to understand their problems, using the feed to adjust my coaching program. That’s building my system/habit to achieve my goals. But at the same time I work out 6 times a week, wake up at early, plan my day out, reduce time wastage, eat healthy, meditate, am constantly learning etc. Those systems/habits will help me achieve many goals in the future including the life coach one.

I have talked about system, habits, and goal. How they’re different and why you need to combine them, and given you examples of them too.

But tell me what system/habits do you use to achieve your goals?​

2. L3t'sG0

L3t'sG0 Fapstronaut

Thank you for the question.

I have a morning routine and plan on having a night routine so I get the same, healthy amount of sleep. This morning routine consists of (you don't have to read)...
    -meditation
    -mobility/yoga work (WiP)
    -Wim Hof method
    -basic beauty work
    -helping someone on Nofap
    -checking what I have to do today
    -breakfast
    -journal stuff

The basic idea of this morning routine is to have me as fulfilled as quickly as possible. That way, according to Maslow's hierarchy system, I can focus more on "life's extra stuff" like math though if you don't have a strong enough vision, you'll get depressed.

My night routine (WiP) consists of various habits and preparation for sleep. This insures I get enough quality sleep which is extremely important for productivity.

What's your system?

3. Thanks for sharing
    My system:
    • working out regularly
    • meditation every other day
    • having weekly & monthly goals
    • having a structured day
    • interment fasting with 2 meals a day
    • going on walks
    • always looking for self improvement
    • consuming content from people who are where i want to be
    • having some down time at the end of the day
    • 8 hours of sleep.
    I change this constantly so it wont stay the same 3 month from now.

Searcher78 and Shadow™輝ツ like this.
  4. Steppingintotheunkown

Steppingintotheunkown Fapstronaut

5. Steppingintotheunkown

Steppingintotheunkown Fapstronaut

Hi, I may sound a little dumb but what is "basic beauty work"?

6. L3t'sG0

L3t'sG0 Fapstronaut

Basically making myself more beautiful through various techniques. You can google online for more information.

Steppingintotheunkown likes this.
  7. cadia guardsman

cadia guardsman Fapstronaut

Ruanda is doing good! Hope it becames the best country in Africa

Deleted Account likes this.