Would you just buy a new laptop if you were me?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by skaterdrew, May 13, 2021.

1. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

My laptop is 4 and a half years old.

Basically over a year ago a bit snapped on my laptop that holds the battery in at one side, but the other side was still being held in fine. But this was a problem because sometimes the battery was popping out too much, and when I opened and shut my laptop it was catching the battery.

So I ended up deciding to use gorilla glue on the battery at the side the clip had snapped.

This actually worked for me for well over a year. But today the other side of the battery was popping out, causing the laptop to lose power and turn off if the charger wasn't connected, and my laptop was also catching the battery when I opened and shut it.

I then thought I would just use gorilla glue on the other side of the battery, but by this point the other side of the battery was stuck so tightly to my laptop that it was impossible to get the battery out. I tried gently using a knife pressing where the dried gorilla glue was. But long story short I ended up completely breaking the battery trying to get this out, and now both clips that would hold the battery in are broke.

The thing is my laptop still works completely fine with the charger plugged in. I have no issues with the charger plugged in.

But I am thinking the laptop is 4 years old now anyway, and I am am probably as well just getting a new laptop now.

I am someone who hates waste. So I have no other issues with the laptop other than it is now impossible for me to get a battery into my laptop.

But as I said it is now 4 and a half years old now anyway, and I was thinking probably best just getting a new one?

What do you think?

2. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

Windows or Mac? I'd do some research because Mac is about to make a huge jump in their models and chips and a lot of Windows laptop manufacturers are getting faster chipsets to keep up. You're probably 4-6 months out from much better models of laptops, especially in the case of Mac, which will probably feature a new 14" computer

3. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

It's a windows laptop, and if I am getting a new laptop it will be windows. Because windows is what I have always used, and it is what I am used to.

4. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I’d probably still urge the same thing unless you’re building yourself, because today a lot of big Windows brands like Dell announced they will be upgrading their laptops to keep up the jump with MacBooks 2021 models.

I invest in semiconductor companies and every day I read the news on them. If you are building a PC yourself I’d ignore my post, as you can do that at any time.

5. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

Mac isn’t worth all the coin they charge. At least not to me. They have no remorse financially raping their normie fanbase though.

6. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

What should I do with the old laptop though if I get a new one?

It does still work with the charger connected. But no way a battery will ever be able to go into it again, and the laptop is already 4 and a half years old anyway.

I was thinking just chuck it out?

7. Your opening sentence answered the question. Gods, yes. BUT, I agree with gordie, wait for the upgraded models.

8. script

script Fapstronaut

Try selling it on ebay, maybe someone is willing to try to fix it.
    There are a bunch of people that are buying broken things on there, so it's not unusual at all.