1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why us and not everyone?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Dec 9, 2023.

1. My wife got some terrible news last night from her sister: her brother was found dead. The medical examiner think he died on Wednesday from smoking weed laced with fentanyl. We recent found out about his drug addiction a couple of weeks ago.

While it's pretty disheartening to hear, it has me wondering about something: how is it some of us recognize addiction and want to change and do what we can to sober up, but there are other who just don't want to let it go? How did we get "blessed" or "lucky" (or any other term you feel is better) that we're trying to stop our PMO addiction? How are there are a few people who recognize their drug or alcohol problem and sober up? Why not everyone?

2. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Nobody knows for sure, but my guess is that some people prefer the pleasure they get over the health risk they take. After a while, they may become sick, but their brain has become conditioned to not fight the addiction and they give in to it.
    You could ask this question about lots of things:
    Why are some people fat?
    Why are some people more successful in their careers?
    Why are some people introverts and some people extroverts?

Be happy that you have free will and use it to make healthy choices, not everyone will pick the healthy choice.

The human brain is the least understood organ that we have. The theories we have today about human behavior may be proven wrong in the future, science has a lot to learn about the brain.

3. I'm sorry for your family's loss. Addiction is true slavery as it diminishes our will power, so there are plenty of people who use who also don't want to be using. I felt that same pull when I was addicted to hard drugs where I would have moments where I would be screaming at myself to stop using while I was using. It's also a very big possibility your wife's brother was murdered since he might not have known the weed was laced, aka an accidental overdose. That is how Mac Miller went out.

4. Some people are just unlucky. Dealt a bad hand in life or they fumble what good they have. Drugs nowadays are much more addictive than they were in the past, fentanyl is one of them, and I concur with the user above me that there's a possibility he might not have known the weed was laced with something else. I'm sorry for your loss.