1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why meditation is not working for you and how it can

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Some common things i hear from people trying to meditate are, i cannot clear my mind from distractions, or i cannot make time for it. I will say this now guys, meditation takes times, you will not be an expert in a day or a week, not even a month, it takes daily practice and a desire to better yourself. For me i started meditation because during my teenage years i was an emotional storm, i had no control over my emotions or thoughts, i let every little things get to me, i would get so angry i would abuse myself or other people around me, anger itself is not a bad thing, it is a natural emotion that everyone has, however what you choose to do with it will determine if it is good or not, there are ways to harness anger and use it for productivity, meditation is one way to control it. Anyways back to meditation, it took me a long time honestly to become "good at it", and honestly i would say there is no being good at it, but being calm and ready to receive, i believe the reason i became so intune with meditation is because as you meditate you slowly become more calm of a person, so as you meditate daily you start with a cluttered mind, but every day you do it you will slowly be more chill and be able to just enjoy the moment and not feel like it is a chore. I am at the point where i look forward to my morning meditation, my days just never go as good if i skip out on it, and even if i do miss out on it i will do it later in the day. Which leads to another thing, a lot of people think to meditate you need to sit on a pillow straight up, back pain and all, eyes closed fingers making those triple 6 satanic signs, humming chants, but that is not true at all. Meditation can happen anywhere, in a bathtub, a car, walking, exercising, all meditation is, is mindful breathing, but it is deep controlled breathing. My meditation routine is this, I sit on my couch outside cross legged and i put a pillow behind my back and sit straight up, than i simply fold my hands in my lap and close my eyes, i than take deep controlled breathes, i recommend this breathing pattern. ( take a deep controlled breathe through the nose until you cannot anymore, do not force it, than hold it for 8 seconds or less if you want, sometimes you dont need to hold it, than release slowly through the mouth, really focus and feel it leaving your body, but dont force it, than you just repeat until satisfied. Some advanced techniques include holding your breathe for as long as you can when you are filled with air, than also when you have no air in you, this physically changed your brains structures. https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliceg...n-can-actually-change-the-brain/#70df8b161465 I hope everyone takes time to meditate, it is so important and i would not trade it for any earthly thing, my life would be so much worse without it.

2. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

Thanks sir, taking some mental notes.

CoolBuddy7 and BravelyKegger like this.
  3. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I fall asleep everytime I try it. No complains.

CoolBuddy7 likes this.
  4. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I just mediated this morning for 20 minutes. I have been doing it off and on for about ten years. My life gets better when I do it everyday, twice a day.
    Here are some key things I recommend that work for me:

1. Do it a MINIMUM of 20 minutes twice a day. Start out at 5 or 10 if needed.
    2. Sit upright in a chair or couch. I do it in the car sometimes, which works.
    3. I will do it lying down if I have a headache, but I will go longer. Seems to work better when I am sitting up.

Hope this helps. The results for me?:

1. Clearer mind.
    2. Happier for no reason!
    3. More open to the outside world and other people.

As far as combating urges and the flatline, I am experimenting with meditating for much longer periods, perhaps meditating outdoors (getting Vitamin D). Will keep you posted. Good luck.

Deleted Account likes this.