1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are most people upset about turning 30?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by skaterdrew, Apr 28, 2020.

1. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

I don't think it is just turning 30. It appears most people are quite upset as they're about to change age in to a new decade. So when people are in their twenties and are about to turn 30 this kind of upsets them, it's like they don't want go out their twenties and become 30. When a lot of people are about to turn 40 this upsets them and they don't want to go out their 30's and turn 40. When a lot of people are about to turn 50 this upsets them and they don't want to go out their 40's and turn 50.

I mean I don't think you care at all at the fact your about to turn 10 when your a kid. But I remember as I was about to turn 20 I even got a little upset I was going to turn 20. Like I thought I was getting old at 20 lol.

But I am about to turn 30, and I have to admit I am much more upset about this one. I know other people and friends who are quite upset about turning 30 also.

I think it's the fact your not all that young anymore, and it's kind of upsetting? Your going out of your prime sort of thing? and this is what upsets people?

Protagonist and NCK like this.
  2. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Trust me, you’re still young. I wish I was turning 30. That was when I was in my prime. Still having tons of fun, hanging out with friends partying, women were interested in me, no aches and pains from arthritis. If you think turning thirty sucks, wait to you see how fast this decade flys by, and then the next even faster. Life keeps on speeding up and it certainly doesn’t wait for you to get your shit together.

NCK and Deleted Account like this.
  3. People fear death. I think it's really that simple.

But it's so important to remember that the media's strange perception of 30 being old is very silly. Say you live to be 80 years old. When you turn 30, you haven't even hit the halfway mark yet. Really let that sink in. You have more life to live than what you have already lived.

Something that has really changed my perception of this is listening to inspiring older people and how much they have accomplished and are still accomplishing in their old age.

I remember going to a conference once and hearing this 80-something year old woman talk about all the books she had written in her life. I can't remember how many it was, but as an author myself, it was a jaw-dropping moment for me. It just hit me all of a sudden how much time I have, Lord willing, to accomplish all of the things I want to accomplish.

Your life doesn't end when you turn 30. If you're going to live to an old age, you have sooooo much more life left ahead of you!

NCK likes this.
  4. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

But this is something I have noticed. The people who are turning 40 or who are 40 will say that they wish they were turning 30. Where as the people who are turning 50 will say they wish they were turning 40. Where as I am saying I wish I was turning 20.

I think the two main things I find upsetting is no longer being young anymore, and going past my prime. I guess at 30 I might still be somewhat young, and might still even be in my prime. But like you say the speed time is going by is a concern. I feel like time is going by much quicker now.

5. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

You’re at the point where you’ve realized that life is fleeting. Good that you noticed and have plenty of time to accomplish all the things that are important to you. Time waits for no one. Remember that.

6. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

You’re right. We definitely fear death. But I also think that we have this fear of not meeting our goals within the time frame that we had planned. And just aging in general. Wrinkles, grey hair, all that fun stuff are right around the corner. I personally fear never having the chance to have that meaningful conversation with my father that I never really had before he passes on. I think that there are many fears besides death and it’s different for everyone.

7. ahighertruth

ahighertruth Fapstronaut

Men in their 40s even have women interested and party a lot. Look at Jason Nash, dude can probably bang any woman he wants and is 46 lol.

8. ahighertruth

ahighertruth Fapstronaut

Also I am 31 and I will tell you the ONLY thing that dissapoints me is that I haven't fulfilled my goals by this age. I could care less what age I am, you will be that age no matter what. Sleep your whole life and wake up at 30 and cry all you want, it doesn't change a thing.

9. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Celebs get sort of a free pass in this area. For the rest of us it’s not so cool to be the single guy in his 40 that’s still partying and hitting up bars. At least not in my area. Of course it could be different in other parts of the world.

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. ahighertruth

ahighertruth Fapstronaut

he's borderline a celeb, maybe online celebrity i guess. still his age didn't disable him from getting that far. but i agree, the normal 40+ should be settled in a marriage.

Mistersofty likes this.
  11. red gyarados

red gyarados Fapstronaut

Well the normal marriage sucks, not sure if you were aware of that

12. ahighertruth

ahighertruth Fapstronaut

I couldnt agree more. Ones outlook on life definitely has a huge impact on uncertainty and age.

Deleted Account likes this.
  13. NCK

NCK Fapstronaut

I don't know if this will help, but I've gathered some information here to remember everyone that age doesn't matter, we should just keep on going, doing what we like and challenging ourselves, here is a list of successful people, who only got to the very top pretty late in their lives:

[​IMG] Morgan Freeman:
    His career took off only after his role in "Driving Miss Daisy", at the age of 52. After that he played many major roles, and we can definitely say that this has been his prime years from 52 to 82 yeas old today and still going!

[​IMG] Judi Dench: Had her first major role in the movie "GoldenEye" at the age of 61. Since then she was nomitated for the Oscars 7 times and won it once at the age of 66.

[​IMG] Samuel L. Jackson: First major role was on "Pulp Fiction" at the age of 45. Since then had many major roles.

[​IMG] Steve Carell: One of my favorite actors (I love comedy). Had his first big role in the series The Office (big fan here!) At the time he was 43 years old.

[​IMG] Bryan Cranston: Became a big name at the age of 44 and since then acted and directed many episodes in great series as Malcolm in the Middle, Breaking Bad, Modern Family, and The Office. And acted in many movies.

[​IMG] Charles Darwin: He was 50 years old when he published the biggest work of his life "On the origin of the species".

[​IMG] Harry Bernstein: "My 90's were the most productive years of my life". Published his first book at the age of 98, and after that he published three other acclaimed books, all before his death in 2011 at the age of 101.

The list goes on and on, you can look it up on google, I am sure you will find thousands of examples, I just made this short list to name a few. We are never too old to accomplish something great. We gotta keep fighting till the end!
    A good thing is to find a role model, read some biographies to find motivation in understanding other people's struggles.

14. Nice!

This reminds me of some of the bicyclists on the two cycling clubs I used to ride with. There were several 60+, 70+, and yes even 80+ year olds that were solid riders even in the hills. An inspiration to watch these men and women that didn't let age stop them.

I'm into indoor climbing now and there are climbers 60+ that are great. But don't need to be great, just have to get out there and do something no matter what age.

NCK likes this.
  15. It seems like you need to widen your social circle (and deepen it too). If age holds such a sway in your life, than I pity you for you have no idea how diverse life actually is.

NCK likes this.
  16. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

Life isn't just about banging women.

NCK and Deleted Account like this.
  17. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

I do believe it is a good achievement though. Like if you thought at an old age man think of the amount of beautiful looking women I banged in my life.

NCK likes this.
  18. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

I don't think you should worry about getting upset since you've such hedonist beliefs.

NCK likes this.
  19. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I think a big thing for me when I turned 30 was the fact that I had sat down at 18, 21 and various other times and had a really good think about what I wanted to achieve by the time I was thirty. And I achieved none of them.

Whilst it is, of course, true that you can achieve success later in life, one needs to have an understanding of one's failures too, in order to keep making the same mistakes over and over. I have tried diligently to make my life what I feel it should be, but I have continually missed out on what I want. Some of it through bad fortune. Some of it because of my own weakness of character and lack of motivation. Sometimes because I have my heart fixed on my 'long term goals' and do not concentrate on the day to day. It is not something I can easily fix, so I am trying to concentrate on smaller and more achievable goals. Even these are evading me, I get lazier and more fuzzy-headed every year and my life, or the life I could have had, is slipping away from me.

I turn 37 in August.

NCK likes this.
  20. Stream07

Stream07 Fapstronaut

I'm turning 30 in 2 months and I totally get u. In my opinion 20-9 is the best decade of everyone's life. Doesn't matter if u were poor then or got successful after that. It's just the best decade. It's when u r young and mature enough to go out, explore, have fun and at the same time there are not much problems to worry about.

Unfortunately my 20s were not that great. My brother started his own business and my family forced me to work with him. I spent the best years of my life doing several thing at the same time:

studying university + helping my brother + learning required skills + studying for master's degree

I worked my ass off, put my day and night for the business to take off, while my friends were out enjoying their times partying and having sex. Unfortunately we got broke after 7 years. Someone scammed my brother and left us with lots of debts. We had to sell one of our houses and a car to pay the debts. Thanks God I started dating girls half-way. I experienced my first girl and the next one (which is still my friend and an angel from sky) and my first sex and then I understood that I have never lived before.Not because I had sex, because I had an intimate relationship with someone I loved.

Long story short, My father(Thanks God that we have him) handled everything and we are over it now. But I wish I had not put my day and night on that job and lived for myself a little bit. I really miss it. I am happy now, enjoying my life, have lots of goals to achieved, places to go, things to do, but nothing can make up for the lost time.

That's why I advise everyone to enjoy their 20s beside studying and working. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share how I feel turning 30.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2020
    NCK likes this.