Who we want to be vs. who we are

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Just a thought.

There's generally an emphasis on total transformation on this site.
    For example, and i've mentioned this once, I have a friend who is very slim. In the last year he's been taking steroids, testosterone etc and put on a significant amount of weight.
    He's "totally transformed"
    The thing about this, as we all know, is it's not healthy.
    This is my opinion: A total transformation doesn't happen over night. And for those who are impatient (like myself) will want it to happen over night, and when it doesn't will become frustrated which will cause it's own problems.

Rather than focus on total transformation i will look at recognizing my strong points and perfecting what I'm already good at. Once I perfect the skills I will begin to focus on the thing's i'm not good at.

For example. I am tall and skinny. If I try to deadlift 400lbs I will hurt myself badly. Even deadlifting my own body weight will be difficult.
    I will focus on something like jogging (swimming after this pandemic is over) to help build cardiovascular endurance and an overall level of fitness before i can move on to heavier lifting.

Hopefully this idea is helpful to others here in their own pursuits!

2. Angus McGyver

Angus McGyver Fapstronaut

It seems like your mindset is the right one mate!
    Although I have myself been practicing a sport at semi-professional level for the last 15 years now and been quite slim and fit ever since, I have recently considered to step it down by a fair bit since there have been some recurring aches and pains over the past two months.
    The level at which I have been plaguing and beating my body up for the past 15 years is at a level that is far above healthy and that experience/lesson haven't really started to sink in until recently, amidst the Coronavirus frenzy where my focus have been redirected at being healthy and not only fast and strong.
    Since I want to live for another 60-70 years with as few aches and pains as possible (and as healthily), I better step down now when I still can do so without having recurring and permanent aches and pains.

If I continue for a few years like I have done until now, I might end up being crippled or limping in a few decades ahead so now is the time to screw the common-sense on and really think how I want to live my life. I will of course still exercise daily but at a level that is not having as high on a toll on my body.

3. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

And what the wanting mindset doesn't transform is probably what it wants.

4. How do you mean?

5. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Like doing it so you can score sex. As someone matures they may want a relationship instead. The want itself has transformed in that case.

Deleted Account likes this.