1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

WHO Standards for Sexual Education

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ekhangel, Jun 16, 2014.

1. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

Hm. That does sound pretty confusing. I can't think what the hand and arm thing might have been about.

Myself, I can't remember a time when I wasn't versed on the technical aspects of sex and human reproduction, with correct language (no pictures). But the whole emotional/relationship/values side of things was kind of a no-go area with my parents. So the question of, "Why would anyone even DO that?!" was a mystery until later. I know some of my friends growing up had a similar experience. I guess it must have been a child-rearing fashion at the time.

2. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

I remember when I was 15, I once used a TV sitcom we were watching as an opening to ask my mom a question about sex and relationships generally. She responded with, "You shouldn't be doing anything but holding hands at your age."
    End of convo.
    I don't even remember what question I asked specifically, but I do remember those exact words and that her answer was a complete non-sequitur. It had nothing to do with the question at all.

It was so weird because when I was 5 she was ALL about the Biology lessons:
    "You can't get Chlamydia from a toilet seat, but you can get crabs!"
    "Sperm requires a pH of so-and-so to live, so you can't get pregnant from a public swimming pool!"
    "Hey, Ma, what do you suppose those two fictional characters are feeling?" ... OMG_NO_STFU!

3. Ekhangel

Ekhangel Fapstronaut

1) Teachers too vary greatly in their ability to teach sex. Unless you believe gentleness, assertiveness and pedagogical intellect generally can be taught at universities. My observations prove completely otherwise. As for scientific background - it's generally available nowadays to anyone who gives a shit about getting acquainted with it. So, if your parents give a shit, they can convey these to their children themselves. If they don't, they're unworthy of being parents, and forced education isn't going to change anything in this regard. The state has NO interest in your children being decent people - its sole interest is in that they vote for them.

2) YOU are the "21 century society", and it is your responsibility, NOT the government's, to alter it in a way you prefer.

3) YOU determine "what is to come" for your kids.

SqueakySoul, I'm glad to see someone being hometutored in the past. Perhaps you could give us a few more words on that, so that some folks around realize that hometutoring does not equal rendering a kid asocial and completely unprepared for "adult life".

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

Ek, I completely understand being upset about not having the legal right to homeschool your kids.
    I would be too if I didn't live in a free country.
    How many children do you have?

5. Ekhangel

Ekhangel Fapstronaut

I don't have any yet, I'm 22. I hope that wasn't a sarcastic question. And hometutoring is legal here, but socially disapproved + in case you decide for it, you actually have a governmental official coming to your house regularly and examining your child according to the state-approved curriculum. I don't know how that compares to your free country, but I hope in the USA a thing of that sort would be deemed just fascist, as it is here in the (small in number) liberal circles.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  6. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

Nope, not sarcastic. Just skimming, it wasn't clear. You're clearly quite emotionally invested in them already (which is understandable).

When I homeschooled my son for a year, the paperwork was one page. We had to prove that at least one person in the home had a high school diploma. We had to create an attendance sheet (a calendar with days checked off) and he had to take one standardized test of our choosing at the end of the year (there were half-a-dozen options, costing $15-$50). If he failed to learn how to read and write before he turned 18, too bad for him. There was no consequence for failing the test, and indeed, nobody asked us for the results.

If it works, it works. If not, you get illiterate kids. Sometimes dead kids, since this is one way that abusive families can conceal secrets. I'm thinking that a required yearly doctor's visit would be a good addition to the level of oversight here, but there would be howls of protest from some groups for even that much.

7. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

Jevus Cripes. I just realized that I mentioned DEATH as a probable outcome of homeschooling. No, I know a good handful of homeschoolers, and most of them are alright. A very diverse group. Please excuse any outward symptoms, as I seem to be developing a mild case of cop brain.

8. Squeaky Soul

Squeaky Soul Fapstronaut

Haha. I found it funny. People on the forum recently have been so careful about wording. What happened to this being a support group for PMO addicts? Hahahaha!

That was basically it Ek. As far as homeschooling goes, I am basically with a public school that allows me to homeschool. Doing homework, assignments, writing papers, doing assessments, etc. At the end of the month, a councilor comes from the school and collects progress, such as papers that I am turning in, tests, and a PE log. The PE log is basically a log the you write down your physical activities in. An hour everyday of the week excluding weekends.

Ever so often, I go to an institution and get tested in the following subjects... Math, science, language arts, and history. I have even taking my CAHSEE - California High School Exit Exam.

Anymore questions? :)

~Squeaky Soul