Who funds NoFap?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by AnythingIsPossible, Apr 29, 2014.

1. AnythingIsPossible

AnythingIsPossible Fapstronaut

I've been watching the number of members grow steadily and it made me think about where NoFap is headed. I seem to recall Alexander saying he funds it out of his own pocket, but as the site grows, surely costs are going to increase? So what I'm asking is if there's any way for people to donate at all to help with the server costs or indeed, some advertising or resources to encourage and help new members? I mean, I'm only a student, so I wouldn't be able to give much, but this community has done so much for me, so it would be nice to give a little back, especially if doing so would make NoFap even more special. :)

2. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

There is a way to donate. Maybe there should be a link at the absolute bottom of the page with instructions?

3. Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor Distinguished Fapstronaut

I've noticed the t shirt sale in passing but everytime I try to actually find it to purchase one, it's nowhere to be found! D:

5. Hi there! My wallet appreciates the concern - this year I think I spent over 5,000 on NoFap expenses. hudrac_yador posted a private message that got sent out - each shirt is maybe around.... 7 dollars? of profit which would be applied for NoFap expenses.

The shirts aren't ever going to fully fund NoFap. Honestly I think only 5 people or so ordered a shirt which is a grand total of ... well, not enough money.

Shirts may be pre-ordered here and will be shipped out in mid-May. Alternatively, cash donations are accepted here. So far one person (who wants to remain anonymous) has donated 50$ (which was awesome and a big help!).

Anyway, I work as a web developer for a great company and am pretty OK financially so I'm happy to fund the site out of pocket. However, I do want NoFap to eventually be self-sustainable. I don't want NoFap to be reliant on my employment (i.e. I lose my job so the site goes down because I can no longer afford to pay out of pocket). It would be nice to be able to hire a cheap contractor to improve the website (volunteers never follow through, from my experiences). And server costs will go up proportionally with traffic.

Not a huge fan of the idea of hosting advertisements on NoFap. I may introduce a donator group on the forum, similar to how reddit has reddit gold or something like that. Hopefully not too many people would need to donate money every month to keep NoFap afloat. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for the concern.

6. Sufficient Grace

Sufficient Grace Fapstronaut

I think donations are a good idea. Seems like the costs of maintaining the site are not great and given the amount of activity here it should be possible to raise a material amount to support Alexander. This in my mind is far preferable to taking advertising, which could raise concerns among users about anonymity, etc. (Just look at the regular privacy shitstorms on FB as they seek to monetise the site.)
    Can I also say Alexander, that what you have started here is just fucking awesome. I doubt you will never know the positive impact it has had on peoples lives, but it is enormous.

7. Province

Province Fapstronaut

5,000 :0 Yeah I think donations sounds like a good idea I'd glady give some money.

8. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

Maybe we could do a "donation month". I don't know how many active users NOFAP has, but if it has many, we could set a very low number to donations (to encourage donations). For example, 1 USD, so that everyone can contribute, from all around the world, job or jobless. Maybe a "comittment star" in return? If it doesn't work, say, you only get 1 USD in total (I'm talking about the 1 dollar that Alexander donated to himself, of course), after buying some candy, we try something else.

9. Morrow

Morrow Fapstronaut

Yeah, donation-months would be a great idea I think. We all owe this forum a lot.