1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

what will you sacrifice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by climberjunkie, Dec 3, 2015.

1. climberjunkie

climberjunkie Fapstronaut

Yesterday I was on the forum's and someone put up a link, it was a article about a bee and it was correlated to an addiction, anyways on the article it mentioned that when you give up an addiction a part of your power returns to you, something like that and then it quoted the kabbalah, I thought this was interesting because I have heard a similar story, that the more addictions you sacrifice or the more discipline you gain the more you gain yourself, If any one you guys find it please link it to me thanks. Anyways... I thought there are more than one addiction that I will sacrifice besides PMO.

These are my addictions I'm giving up
    -Music, too much brain fog.
    -have expectations from people and things, no one owes you anything.
    -judgement, it can be exhausting and leads you deeper in your thoughts.
    -day dreaming, sometimes I go into fantasy land. I think its escapism.

Habits I'm trying to develop
    - Smiling more often.
    -accepting the moment
    -being in the present
    -breathing (yes sometimes I forget to breath)
    -patience
    -affirmations

SO now the question is for you, what addictions are you getting of and what are you replacing them with? you can just let me know below.

2. lionace

lionace Guest

• Excessive use of internet to kill time
    • Over-/Under-Eating and eating what's bad for my health
    • Turning away in a (inner) conflict to just start a random activity
    • Let fear control my (re)actions
    • To outtalk my opposite to oppress feelings or reactions
    • Try avoid indirect talk, and things like irony, sarcasm and lies (the talk of a man ought to be better than his silence would have been)
    • Exceeding my limits e.g. working out too hard, staying up way too late
    It's hard to formulate fully practically because I found that my mind comes up with fabulous opportunities to not face my inner demons :)

Update: still looking for suitable replacements for most of them which is probably why I have so little success til now...

3. oliverKharanger

oliverKharanger Fapstronaut

These are the addictions I am going to get through.
    1.To much laptop use.
    2.gossiping with friends.
    3.being dependent on other.
    4. Laziness.
    5.getting less sleep.

And I am going to replace them with
    1.Running and going to gym.
    2.waking up early in the morning
    3. Studying as I am a student.
    4 Meditation

4. lionace

lionace Guest

If I come to think of it more than two minutes this leads me to another question which I believe could be important:

If I am going to replace 'A' by 'B' what is the connection between 'A' and 'B'?

For me it seems important that I substitute 'A' by some 'B' which provides me with what I am lacking, and which I normally seek to compensate unsuccessfully by doing 'A'.
    That being said, it might seem straight-forward and more applicable to substitute 'A's with 'B's, and it might practically work in many cases, but it is a bit dangerous to forget about all that the things we lack and cause our state.

This is no point against try&error, however. In fact I am absolutely clueless why I am idling on the internet, or feel depressive or aggressive in like 88% of all cases. But IMO it would be beneficial to develop a better understanding of my own ifs and hows.

5. climberjunkie

Try affirmations while meditating

6. climberjunkie

That's great, gossiping can really loud your thoughts, affirmations help.