1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is Joy?

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Joy is waking up in the morning and knowing, “Life is good.” Joy is waking up to problems and knowing, God is with me, these problems will be solved or they will lead to good. Joy is knowing that Bible study and prayer are keys to success.

#1, Seek to find God's blessings because they lead to joy. Study, “Verses blessed,” and articles on being blessed, then strive to do what they say. Be patient after you change to find God's blessings. It takes longer than you think.

#2 Study God's promises:

Psalm 37:4 ESV Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
    Don't delight in money or pleasure. Delight yourself in the Lord and watch Him start to give you everything. Once again, put in the work and “Be patient.”

Isaiah 40:31 But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
    Psalm 84:11 ESV For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.”

Joy is having “No good thing withheld from you.” This is a conditional promise for those who walk uprightly. Work at living uprightly, and “patiently” wait for the long-term promise to start to happen.

Joshua 1:9 ESV Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
    2 Corinthians 7:1 ESV Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.”

You can be confident in all of the Bible's promises coming true if you constantly focus on doing what this verse says. Have patience, it will happen if you consistently put in the work.

#3 Once you are doing the above steps, then you will begin to find great joy by being in God's presence.

Psalm 16:11 ESV You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”
    After you have decided to go to war with sin and to find God's will for you, you will find great joy in spending a block of time in Bible-study, and prayer. I insist on living in joy, so I insist on spending a block of time in Bible-study, and prayer.

I really want pleasures forevermore, so I insist on spending time focusing on what God wants me to do.

Follow these 3 keys to finding joy. Work consistently and patiently to make it happen. In my life, doing so was the best thing I ever did.

Life_of_Socrates_777 likes this.
  2. Life_of_Socrates_777

Life_of_Socrates_777 Fapstronaut

I have heard Fr Hugh Barbour talk about joy on Catholic Answers with Cy Kellett. Father said that joy is identical to charity. Joy and God's love are the same thing, but in two distinct modes of experience. He also said that St Thomas Aquinas wrote that joy can be difficult for us to imagine or experience at times, such that it can be helpful to say that joy is something we "enter into" as opposed to joy entering "into us." This is because God and the saints and angels live in joy, and when we approach heaven, that is what we are entering into, we are entering into that realm. At any rate, he says, sometimes we can't always feel joy, as a sensible consolation, but if we are in the state of grace, then we possess it in our soul; and we can pray so that God would increase it in us, especially by blessing God and by congratulating the saints on their happiness, and they share their joy with us. Joy is something we will have endlessly and in full when the veil is finally removed when we are not encumbered by our fallen nature, when we are totally restored.