1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you saving your money for?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 30, 2019.

1. WeyanGe

WeyanGe New Fapstronaut

If music and recording are your passion, it might make sense to start with the recording equipment. That way, you can nurture your creativity and potentially even turn it into a side gig. As for the motorcycle, you can always save up for it later when you're ready. If you ever need financial advice or assistance, there's a reliable mortgage broker in South Cave who can provide guidance tailored to your specific needs. Enjoy your journey of saving and making the most out of your money!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  2. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

I save for the freedom to not work lol. I saved enough to quit my job and took a 3 month break to recover mentally from working, now I am about to work again and will save for the same purpose but I’ll try to save a lot more so I can not work. Because fuck working a full time job.

I don’t really care for materialism.

silex_jedi likes this.
  3. Psalm27:1my light

Psalm27:1my light Fapstronaut

Do you have an actual plan? For instance, my husband and I both worked 3 jobs for a few years, we saved like crazy and bought a house that was a fixer within a year. The mortgage was less than rent. Then sold 3 yrs later after remodeling it ourself( made $30,000) Then bought 40 acres and lived in a $3000 trailer for 10 years and then again built our house ourselves with the help of 2 friends. We maxed out retirements, while all our friends were spending money on expensive trips we went camping. It really is a combination of choices, hard work, and luck, right place right time. I retired at 42, my husband at 52. God willing, we will never have to work again if we don’t want to. If we had not worked those 3 jobs each, there is no way we ever would’ve been able to save a down payment for a house and our money would’ve just gone for rent and no building up wealth.

4. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

Well, I’d admit that I’m pretty blessed and made $6000 a month at my last job. So I was able to save up a decent amount when I knew I was going to quit. I’m 26 and single and live pretty frugally so I was able to live off my savings for the past 3 months pretty easily.

I fully expected to move back with my parents once my lease ended if I couldn’t find another job. Fortunately, I was blessed with a recent job offer only after about a month of applying and interviewing. It is a similar paying job within the industry but with a better work/life balance it seems.

Honestly, I’m gonna stick around at this job if things goes well. The main reason I left my last job was due to a horrible work/life balance and toxic micro management which destroyed my mental health. But since this new job pays the same, I’m going to stick around for as long as I can.

5. Psalm27:1my light

Yeah it’s miserable to be at a job you hate! I just encouraged my daughter to quit her job because they treated her terribly. She ended up getting a new job she loves and it pays $5 per hour more! Part of why I saved so much after I had kids was to pass on my wealth to them. I love them more than anything so I’m happy to help in any way to make their life easier.

6. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

That’s quite supportive of you. My parents has no idea that I even quit my job, lol.

I was dreading to tell them that I would need to move back in even though they would let me. I know that they’ll lecture me nonstop about being unemployed for sure and I’ll never hear the end of it. But luckily I got another job so they won’t even know that I was unemployed these past few months.

7. Psalm27:1my light

I’m dreading when my kids move out. They make me laugh and they are so smart, so kind, so amazing. I know they need their own life and independence but I wouldn’t care if they lived with me forever! Lol. My son drives me a bit crazy but he makes me laugh the hardest

8. silex_jedi

silex_jedi Fapstronaut

1. to have the few thousands $€£ in my emergency bucket... the level is not reached yet.
    2. for my driving license.
    3. to start an investment bucket...
    4. music stuff. not a lot but just enough.
    i save to remember that I CAN put money away. always. i earn money so i can put money for the future.

9. berylliumwages

berylliumwages Fapstronaut

I make $350 per week and have no savings. There are certainly some frivolities in my spending, but I'm not going to cut them out in order to save literally a few dollars a week. It's not worth it.

GhostShell likes this.
  10. GhostShell

GhostShell Fapstronaut

Same. Not even making enough right now to save.

11. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

I was making ~$600 a week around the same time last year working at a hardware store. Never expected to be making $6000 a month a year later. Learn a new skill and more importantly sell yourself on resumes, applications and interviews and get in the door of a high paying job. Lie if you have to get your foot in. That’s what I did.

Psalm27:1my light likes this.
  12. Psalm27:1my light

Where are you that you only earn $350 a week? My children make almost double that and we are in a state with low paying wages.

13. Legacy of Lost Soul

Legacy of Lost Soul Fapstronaut

14. berylliumwages

Income is of course a weak function of location, but to answer your question, I am in Kentucky.

15. Psalm27:1my light

And try different things! My son found a niche product that he sells on eBay, his first month he made $7000. He literally works his 40 hour week job and the product he sells is a side hustle. So he’s making almost 11k a month now.

Leanmaxxing likes this.
  16. Psalm27:1my light

Wow, I know Kentucky has low wages as well. We are in Florida

17. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

Texas here. I want to move out as soon as I can afford to.

Psalm27:1my light likes this.
  18. Psalm27:1my light

I had my own business which I made really good money but hated, finally got a job I loved and even though I earned less I liked what I did which was important to me!

19. berylliumwages

I'd much rather stay where I am than "hustle" or "sell" myself and "lie to get [my] foot in the door." I was just answering the savings question rather than complaining about my income. I already make way more than I am worth. Thanks, guys.

20. Psalm27:1my light

I’m just wondering how you get by on so little? I agree I’d never lie on a resume, but there is nothing wrong with trying to earn more or hustle and sell yourself. Rent alone in this area is more than that, even for just a one bedroom. I swear the cost of living is killing the younger generation. It’s ridiculous right now.