Want to Go Vegan But Mom Disagrees

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by RecoveringFapaholic, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Yanis

Yanis Fapstronaut

Absolutely right. No discussion needed. Go vegan and everything will be fine. I eat vegetarian since many years and I am completely healthy, doing my cyclist sport like 100 km in 3,5 hours. All the stuff in your Mum's mind is the result of the campaigns of the meat industry.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    EyesToSeeEarsToHear likes this.
  2. This, this and this. If you have the time, energy, dedication, and it fits your goals, then I think going vegan is the way to go, for purely environmental reasons if nothing else - but if you just cut out meat and don't plan your diet appropriately, your health will suffer big time. Since you are restricting your diet by removing a whole heap of protein, vitamin, etc sources, you need to take the time to ensure that you are getting all of those things elsewhere. If you're going to do it, you have to make sure you do it right.

This will also do wonders for your situation with your mom. Show her that you're planning and thinking out your diet. Give her some calorie and macronutrient counts for some of your planned meals. Tell her where you plan to source things like Omega-3 and 6, etc. Your mother is just naturally worried about your health - and honestly, she should be, is a vegan diet bad? Not at all, it's incredibly healthy when done properly - but that's just it, a LOT of people who go vegan don't do it properly, and that's what she's most likely concerned about. Prove to her that you can do it healthily with some real plans, and I'm sure she'll warm up to the idea. :)

You might find a site like https://cronometer.com/ helpful, as it allows you to track your diet, but unlike a lot of other sites, it tells you the micronutrient (vitamin + mineral) content of different food items. So you can plan meals in such a way as to ensure you get all the things you need. :)

3. RecoveringFapaholic

RecoveringFapaholic Fapstronaut

Here's an article my sister sent me regarding veganism: www.google.com/amp/s/articles.mercola.com/sites/archive/2016/09/25/amp/veganism.aspx

I enjoyed reading it but I don't agree with everything the author says. What puzzles me is the fact that there are essential nutrients missing from plant foods yet humans are not anatomically designed to eat meat. No meat-eater has molars, a jaw that can move backward as well as side-to-side, digestive enzymes in their saliva, and an intestine that even closely resembles ours. The author of the article mentioned author Mara Kahn and included several quotes from her book "Vegan Betrayal." Kahn is a vegetarian that used to be vegan before she stopped due to nutritional deficiencies. Apparently it's vegetarianism that has allowed many societies around the world to live such healthy lives and veganism and veganism has no place in history. Apparently the only vegan groups prior to the last century were very small and isolated and little is known about them. The author of this article is a promoter of the keto diet which I'm not a fan of. He says the lack of fat on the vegan diet is a problem while there are plenty of other nutritionists out there who say the opposite. The section on ethics felt contrived and there was only one source mentioned at the bottom. Most of what the author said wasn't backed up by sources. I wasn't impressed by the article overall but I did learn a few new things. One thing opponents of the vegan diet have a hard time refuting are the short-term benefits; and that was one thing the author acknowledged. I've said this before and I'll say it again: I'll go vegan for some period of time to detox before I decide what to do next. The deficiencies don't become an issue until roughly six months to a year in.

4. Devil's Details

Devil's Details Fapstronaut

Chimps have molars and eat meat... but I'm not sure if you mean exclusive meat-eaters?

But meh, details, details. You're questioning shit to the point (and not marrying your first opinion, which is HUGE) where it's pretty obvious you're going to be making good decisions. Best of luck to you, my man. Go kick ass!

5. Devil's Details

Devil's Details Fapstronaut

And maybe put up some updates from time to time. I'd be curious as to how it goes for you.

6. RecoveringFapaholic

RecoveringFapaholic Fapstronaut

I've finally decided on a pescatarian diet. It will consist of mostly plant foods with a little seafood. It's sort of like the Pythagorean diet (named after the Greek mathematician Pythagoras). As I've mentioned earlier, a small amount of meat or dairy isn't going to kill you. The real harm is when you consume those things every day for many years. I'll be able to take omega-3 supplements made from krill oil and eat small fish like sardines. I'll avoid farm-raised fish and large fish like tuna (due to mercury content). Going plant-based whether it's vegan or not is generally a step in the right direction. Even back when I was a big meat eater (more than I am now) I though the idea of an all-animal diet to be stupid and unhealthy. I feel this diet will maximize the benefits of a plant-based diet while avoiding most of the drawbacks.

7. EyesToSeeEarsToHear

EyesToSeeEarsToHear Fapstronaut

One thing I'm really pursuing with my current reboot is the most powerful immune system possible. I would love to never catch a cold or flu again :). It sounds a little childish to me but nothing wrong with the idea lol :).

I often read that plant-based diets boost the immune system immensely! Can any vegans or vegetarians attest to this from personal experience? If so about how long until you noticed?

GREAT thread for this section thanks for posting!

RecoveringFapaholic likes this.
  8. I've been vegan for over a year now and wasn't sick since then.
    (Used to get sick at least four times a year)

I can't tell you tho if it is because I went vegan, I didn't inform myself about the immune system at all to be honest.
    But I doubt veganism is the only factor.
    Exercise, overall healthier food (vegan junk food is still bad for you), cold showers, meditation etc.

There are a lot of factors to this.

EyesToSeeEarsToHear likes this.
  9. EyesToSeeEarsToHear

EyesToSeeEarsToHear Fapstronaut

I hear you Usual thanks for your answers! No cold or flu for over a year straight is awesome.

I exercise every other day but I rarely cold shower. I've heard it somehow boosts immune system too. Currently kicking a cold now lol!

I don't think it's pure coincidence you're so healthy I'll read more about it thanks!