1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Video - Dr. Gabor Maté - Trauma & recovery across the lifespan: insight into addictions

For Fapstronauts interested in mental health.

1. kayesem

kayesem Fapstronaut

Been watching these recently. Gabor was diagnosed ADHD late in life. He wrote a book on it which I have not read but would probably like to. He was taking Dexedrine for some time, similar to myself in the past. He mentions (maybe in a different video) that if he takes meds again, they only cause negative side effects, indicating that he has progressed quite well in terms of doing the required work to heal, get well and be functional. What helped before is no longer helpful, only harmful.

His insight regarding self medication by many "normal" undiagnosed people who use various substances is pretty spot on in my opinion and experience. Some people dig themselves deep, dark holes of fear and denial and jump right in. Friends can become afraid and even react negatively or violently if you suggest that perhaps they are struggling with a mental illness. It's a tough tag to be stuck with, but I would say one of the only things worse than having it, is having it and not knowing or admitting to yourself that you have it. You then become locked out of information you could use to manage your condition/s and work towards healing.

I agree with Gabor that meds should be used only temporarily as a buffer while one works like the wind to get their shit together enough to be able to manage without meds. They are definitely not a cure, nor are they a viable solution in the long term.

All 3 parts of the video here:

Don't suppose anyone has any thoughts?