Tips for a small room?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Jack York, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Jack York

Jack York Fapstronaut

So after uni im heading back home. and ive been told that i can make a small room into my den.

it needs a complete decorating though. so anyone got any good ideas or tips?

its got one medium window, but the room itself is only big enough for a double bed. and when i say that i mean that if you put a double bed in here, youd have to crawl out of the door to leave it.

Hank Pym likes this.
  2. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

Houseplants ! Some help with insomnia. They purify the air and are appeasing to look at.

3. Lighter color wall paint to help make it feel bigger?

4. Jack York

Jack York Fapstronaut

Oh I have a mini greenhouse hahah plenty of plants

And yeah. I thought lighter colours. Anything too much will drown everything out. But I don’t want it to be cold

5. tapestries and Christmas lights. I used these in college to make my prison cell dorm room a cool place to be. we called it the fry cave

6. Jack York

Jack York Fapstronaut

Lights might be nice actually

7. I assume you're not looking to do any remodeling right? Because there are some tips for making small rooms seem bigger, but it takes a bit of construction knowledge...Otherwise, i think you guys have pretty much covered it, other than maybe a wall mural. if you get a mural that covers the whole wall with some kind of nice scenery it can seem more vast

Jack York likes this.
  8. Jack York

Jack York Fapstronaut

Nah. No remodelling. But I do like the idea of a feature wall. Something like that would make the room unique

9. Yup, and be a little distraction away from the room size.

10. Some unique items, I've done the mistake to buy all generic furniture, a red lamp or something would have been nice. pinterest has some good architecture pics for small rooms, check it out.

Jack York likes this.
  11. Jack York

Jack York Fapstronaut

Ah ok. Good idea. Thanks. I’ll have a look

12. AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222 Fapstronaut

A day bed might be something to look at. They're usually comfortable enough to sleep on and yet it also doubles as a couch. Might be something you look at.

Jack York likes this.
  13. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Don't bother with a double bed. I don't. It is nice to have the space.

14. I second that! You just lay there.

A nice big desk though, that is a plus. I'll be upgrading soon, from 80cm*200cm lightgrey to 100cm*250cm wooden.

Jack York likes this.
  15. Jack York

Jack York Fapstronaut

Yeah. The beds going. I will have a bedroom. And the new room will
    Be to crash in.

16. Things that make a room feel bigger:

- light or cool colors
    - reflective surfaces, like decorative mirrors or something shiny like a chrome lamp or vase
    - minimalism: keep things simple and minimal and keep clutter to a minimum. Try to keep things in drawers or closets or tucked away somehow, rather than out on display. Keep decor to a minimum as well. Dont go crazy with pictures on the walls or stuff like that. Just pic a few beautiful decor pieces that you love and embrace blank walls for the open cleanliness they encourage.
    - light
    - tall things: for instance, if you have a window with curtains, go for floor to ceiling curtains that will give the room a feeling of more height

All of this can still feel really cozy and nice, and cool colors dont have to feel cold and uninviting. I can see the appeal and warmth of, well, "warm" colors, like dark orange or brown or deep green, but personally, I really like cool colors, like light gray or blue walls with a lot of white accents and just a few pops of color. It might not feel as "cozy," but to me it gives a spa-like vibe that is quite calming.

17. Feature walls are really beautiful, but if the room really is that tiny, I would personally probably go for a feature piece instead, like a really pretty, round mirror. A whole wall painted or covered with a tapestry could feel a little stifling in such a small space. But of course in the end, its up to you what you prefer :)

Jack York likes this.
  18. Jack York

Jack York Fapstronaut

I like the idea of having a feature. Perhaps a feature mirror?

19. Hank Pym

Hank Pym Fapstronaut

Why don't you buy the foldable double bed? It's really cool.

Jack York likes this.
  20. RollerCoaster

RollerCoaster Fapstronaut

This is very interesting!

Jack York likes this.