1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Think first

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

You are at home and want a bowl of ice cream. Think first. Can you increase your pleasure with a large bowl of ice cream instead of a half bowl? No! Overindulgence never increases pleasure. You need to think about hundreds of hours in front of the mirror. Trips to the doctor because of bad health. Lower energy etc.

Second, your pleasure from ice cream is 60% from anticipation. 35% from the first few delicious spoonfuls. Then the last 5% from a hair more pleasure that you barely notice as you shovel away.

Instead, think first, have half a bowl, eat more slowly, then start to enjoy your next 100 hours in good health, better energy, and time spent in front of the mirror.

Overeating is not because you increase pleasure from food. It's because that is “What you want to do.”

Third, you want to watch a movie. Think first. You want the risky one filled with beautiful, wild people. Can you increase your pleasure with a risky movie instead of a clean one? No! Overindulgence never increases pleasure. You need to think about hundreds of hours in darkness and depression when the risky movie drags you back to your habit.

Second, your pleasure from a risky movie/TV show is 50% from anticipation. 45% from the first few risky scenes. Then the last 5% from a hair more pleasure that you barely notice as you are now frustrated because you are getting overwhelmed with temptation to go back to _______.

Instead, make a better movie/TV choice and praise the Lord while you watch it.

Fourth, even a clean movie or even a walk in the park has some risks. Be ready to “instantly” turn from lust. Pray in advance of risk, pray often, pray always (The Bible says to pray always).

Consider praying:

“Father, help me to run from lust like Joseph did.”

Finally, if you show me someone who prays hundreds of times per day to run from lust... I will say – you just showed me someone who lives their life with pleasure to the max (Over the long term).

All of the Bible is this way. God wants what is best for us. When we do things His way, our life is always best in the long run. Reject short-term temptation, “think,” and make it through 15 minutes after temptation strikes, and you will be able to make a good decision.

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Yesterday was bad. To fight back I prayed the following prayers back to back repeatedly:

“Lord, help me to love.”

“Father, help me to be tough.”

“Father, help me to turn from sin.”

“Father, show me Your will.”

Every time I started to think about bad stuff, I started to pray these prayers again. When we fight back, problems that would normally sink us start to be manageable. Why? Partly because now we are focused on other things, and partly because prayer activates God's help in our lives.

The Bible says to think about good things. This year is the first year for me to be doing that.

Don't let the bad eat up the good. Planning and prayer lead to stopping.

Tao Jones likes this.