The Spirit of Sonship

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

There are many things written in the Bible that I fail to truly appreciate. There are common phrases that I have read and heard repeatedly for so many years, they have lost some of their impact for me. I don't doubt the truth of what is written there but I do gloss over the significance.

This morning I was led to read Romans Ch.7 & 8 and fortunately a few words managed to get through my jaded mind. I hope they are as meaningful to you as they were to me today.

Romans 8:6-8" To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, indeed it cannot; 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:13-16 "for if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live. 14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship. When we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God,"

Although some disagree, according to Fr. Mike Schmitz the aramaic word "Abba" is best translated into modern English with words like "Dad" or "Pappa" (those who disagree think it is best translated as a term of intimacy coupled with respectful obedience like the English word "Sir").

Regardless of which translation you ascribe to, how amazing to consider that God is our Dad! Quite incredible when I think about it - I am a God's child.

Dear Dad/Sir, I don't deserve to be called your child given all of the sins I have committed but yet I know you will not revoke my heritage. So today Pappa, I pray that I may honor you with my thoughts, my words and my actions. Please give me the grace of a strong loving spirit which readily conquers the base desires of my flesh. Thank you Father.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023