The Seven Virtues

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by OnceAfraidToMerge, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Four cardinal virtues discussed first in Plato's Republic became a staple of Greek, Roman and early Christian living:
    • Prudence (the ability to discern the appropriate course of action)
    • Courage (the strength to face fear and uncertainty)
    • Temperance (the practice of self-control)
    • Justice (the ability to make fair decisions).

These were later expanded and formed the Seven Heavenly Virtues:
    • Chastity (sexual abstinence and pursuit of purity)
    • Temperance (self-control)
    • Charity (generosity and sacrifice)
    • Diligence (persistence and hard-work)
    • Patience (forgiveness)
    • Kindness (inner peace and compassion)
    • Humility (bravery and modesty)
    While chastity and temperance in particular are talked about frequently here, I would like to give a little testimony to the importance of also pursuing charity, patience and kindness especially.

A lot of times people here may feel alone or frustrated, but negative ruminations will only result in negative interactions and behaviours and ultimately a negative future.

Offer to do favours for people, with no strings attached. Help people out and enjoy the positivity and good feeling.

Forgive those who you feel have wronged you or treated you unfairly. Not directly through conversation, but internally release your anger for them. Replace it with good memories and a focused attitude and appreciation for the present.

Be kind to yourself and those around you. Actively search for good in the world and be at peace with the bad that you find.

In escaping cynicism, pessimism, suspicion and hate, I've found myself infinitely more relaxed and content. It requires work, and sometimes I will slip unto unwanted patterns of thinking, but the seven virtues nearly always seem to guide me to the most positive outcomes.

Thanks for reading!

2. Air0

Air0 Fapstronaut

pretty cool man