The Middle Way exists in this moment

A group for Buddhist Fapstronauts to connect.

1. Middle way is usually understood as living without too causing oneself too much suffering as well as avoiding a hedonistic lifestyle.

But there is a deeper meaning to the Middle Way which was originally there but was overlooked.

The middle way is to be in the present moment in equanimity by letting go of thoughts of desire and aversion.

Any thoughts?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. PeaceOnEarth108

PeaceOnEarth108 Fapstronaut

Hello Papsy,

the way I understand it is, that getting lost in the past or future is hedonistic. One tries to avoid the painful moment with thinking about joyfull moments in past/future. Instead one should realize how beautiful and peaceful the moment actually is (#patience).

Does that make sense to you?

Paranimmita likes this.
  3. Ah now, this is where I was told by a monk as to the difference between secular mindfulness and Buddhist mindfulness. In secular mindfulness, I am aware that it encourages one to take delight in the present moment. But in Buddhism, whatever that we encounter from the 6 sense bases we are not meant to take delight but to look at that with equanimity, by reflecting on the impermanence (or else to go the extra mile one can reflect on the three characteristics of whatever that is encountered - impermanence, non-self, and dissatisfaction).
    We may notice things which are beautiful within the present moment, however, to appreciate that this beauty is impermanent. The same goes for unpleasant things which are encountered within the present moment - to see that this unpleasantness is also impermanent. This is equanimity in the present moment - to not look at things through the lenses of desire and aversion. By doing this at some point we are supposed to realize that there is nothing inherently beautiful or unpleasant, but they are created in our minds.

Merry Terry and Christoph108 like this.
  4. PeaceOnEarth108

I understand. The 'Buddhist mindfulness' state of mind you discribe is also what I always read in the Pali Canon about. And I understand that this helps letting go. Yet I wonder wether nurturing pure optimism by trying to see beauty in everything and everyone is not a good exercise. Isn't this what enlightenment feels like? Not neutrality but 100% optimism, love and astonishment towards the world? Without affection, desire etc of course.

Edit:
    I may add that I'm from the westernized and less strict diamondway buddhism and they always tell me this view.

Paranimmita likes this.
  5. At a certain stage yes. But ultimately that view also has to be let go of. Not because we desire the state of neutrality or prefer to be detached from the world to the extent where we don't want anything to do with it - this is not the case.
    Instead, it is to accept that when we see that there is no-self it means that there is 'no-self' that experiences love or hate. The self-view is just an illusion. When going into more advanced teachings it will encourage the view that the 'observer' is an illusion as well as what is being 'observed' is also like an illusion (a bit like the Matrix).

When mindfulness is sustained for a long time in an indefinite manner, then stages of meditative absorption can arise. In Buddhism, we call this Dhyanas (Sanskrit: Dhyanas, Pali: Jhanas). The first meditative absorption is meant to be far more pleasant and enjoyable than anything we experience through the 6 sense bases - meant to be far better than drugs, sweets, sex, and music all put together. Then as one progresses through these various states of meditative absorptions then the pleasure element fades away. However this does not mean that this is an unpleasant state - instead one has now realized that the duality of pleasure and pain are just illusions. When this is let go of then one progresses to the 4th meditative absorption which one of the qualities is perfect equanimity (Upeksha). When it comes to this point the duality of what is pleasant and unpleasant vanishes (even before that) - and this is not even enlightenment.

As for Diamond Way they are flexible so you can concurrently visit other Sanghas too. Lama Ole Nydahl has a very liberal attitude towards relationships. However, if you can master celibacy in Buddhism, then its a win-win situation.

Merry Terry and Christoph108 like this.
  6. PeaceOnEarth108

Thank you, you are very wise :)

Paranimmita likes this.
  7. capdindass

capdindass Fapstronaut

There is a wonderful quote by Ven. Ajahn Chah in which I love to quote: "Happiness is just a refined form of suffering".

Whatever we do will condition is, whether that is cling to suffer, make mental stories about why someone hurt us, or otherwise. All of it is anicca, anatta, and dukkha.

I'm the biggest perpetrator when it comes to spinning good stories. E.g. If someone cuts me off, I will say that they are in a rush, so it's ok. This is just another story, so rather I have been noting "This is how x feeling feels". I think it's still good to note that everyone is simply following their nature and conditioning though. Everyone is caught into Maras net

Paranimmita likes this.
  8. It's interesting you mentioned Ajahn Chah because it was in his teachings where he emphasizes the viewpoint that the Middle way is something that exists in this very moment. I have read all English translations of Ajahn Chah, whichever ones that were available and I am still reading Stillness Flowing.

9. capdindass

capdindass Fapstronaut

Ajahn Chah is one of my biggest influences. If you ever get a chance, I would highly recommend visiting Abhayagiri. Wonderful monks there.

It's funny though. The more I read Ajahn Chah, the less I read Ajahn Chah. There's another quote by him, which I think is brilliant: "When we talk about desires we know that everyone has them and wants them fulfilled, but nobody is willing to stop, nobody really wants to escape. Therefore our practice must be patiently refined down. Those who practice steadfastly, without deviation or slackness, and have a gentle and restrained manner, always persevering with constancy, those are the ones who will know. No matter what arises, they will remain firm and unshakable."

I keep a picture of him at my Altar and think of him quite often. To me, he found the path and walked it. Many find the path, but don't continue walking

Paranimmita likes this.