The meta-challenge

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ongoingsupport, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Come up with a new challenge concept.

Of course it's always good for it to be measurable, but it has to be something new. This can be either new to you or new to the community.

The measurement itself can be new. Instead of just doing something for so many days, suppose it is an understanding based challenge rather than an effort based one. Maybe the measurement will be to explain the new understanding you've gained to X number of people, a mix of different age groups and gender etc. - and have them grade you. (of course, they have to actually be interested and make some degree of effort to understand too)

I don't necessarily expect people to go into any detail, but this is also a place to present your idea to the community. Ideally it's nice to have a specific outline but just coming up with a new idea rather than just work out or read would be a good exercise in itself.

Capiche?

2. kayesem

kayesem Fapstronaut

Ah, this is a 'come up with a new challenge' challenge?

I was recently getting into trying new things and was going to make a '7 new things in 7 days challenge', but did not get much beyond the initial concept and have not searched the forum, I imagine it has been done to death already.

It is pretty cool to try new things though. Even if most of them are just exotic fruits or new cooking methods for eggs, doing a few little things can help build up to the bigger ones. The comfort zone is kinda like the death of me in a lot of ways.

3. Ongoingsupport

Well generally speaking it could be anything that would fall under self improvement, but I am not ruling out stuff that would help with rebooting even though it's under this section.

So there are a couple of parts, coming up with the idea itself (and a specific structure) and actually doing it. Just trying new things can be somewhat random, but having a workable plan and a reason for trying it is a good idea. It doesn't have to be big on discipline but typically that's going to be a factor since it's a challenge. For someone like me just cooking regularly might be a challenge in itself, then progress to following basic recipes maybe.

4. Ongoingsupport

Ohhh here's a simple one: Donate money to NoFap when you relapse. Publically announce it.

5. kayesem

kayesem Fapstronaut

Like an adult swear jar?

Why not just donate anyway, to any number of organisations? It's a rewarding thing for me personally, I would not want to conflate it with the upset of relapse. I think hit 500 pushups and go to bed hungry might be a better approach, and even then, maybe eat something. No need to ruin the kind act of donating. It's enough to publicly announce things : )

6. Ongoingsupport

Well the reason is money is a motivating factor and is "more real" than just a point system via a gamification scheme. What you call ruining might keep people from relapsing or at least less often, it's an idea and in the end it's up to the individual whether they want to adopt that as a motivating strategy. Some people might make the connection that they are contributing to the community even when it's an occasion of failure in their own personal progress.

I don't think it's enough to publically announce things, you want to actually do them. I don't even think saying things out loud in person goes that far and I'll bet plenty of people don't do that and just type stuff online, but that is at least better than anonymous text based messages but anymore I don't think that kind of statement to point out something that should be self evident even means anything for most people. Frankly I think a lot of people DO treat it as a game just because it is gamified.