1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The gamification format - skills, abilities and quests

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Awedouble, May 9, 2019.

1. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

I was thinking today that doing a lot of self improvement stuff really isn't too complicated given the skills of many gamers.

The example I thought of was a dungeon crawler like Diablo. You have multiple things to track, the most obvious being health and mana, they do different things. Then there's the items, the experience points you invest in skills... It's actually a lot of variables.

In terms of the amount of work, it's really no different than working on yourself on various levels to have a more solid reboot and lifestyle change. Of course, it's more long term and maybe not as fun as a game with nice graphics and soundtrack, but the skills are definitely there.

So a lot of the game is resource management. Rather than just tracking the number of one point system you have a lot of numbers to deal with even if it just shows as a graphical representation. And you don't really play for points right, you go on quests. Maybe we can think more in terms of life quest, and the general health enhancing stuff under self improvement is basically just beefing up your character in preparation for that.

So what's your quest, and how are you going to design your character to get there?

Cirilla likes this.
  2. As a casual but avid Diablo (all three of them fam!) player this is actually very interesting for me, and a really good analogy, thanks for the post! I noticed that I tend to thrive particularly well when explained things in a gaming manner and things like Habitica and Nerd Fitness are incredible tools. But I've never seen it in a Diablo way and I love love love this. In Diablo, I tend to always play the same builds, I never look for guides I have one build in my head for each character that really works the best for me, and I think it's the same for PMO / Self-improvement, it's about managing your resources to build that one built.

And I think it's funny you talk about nice graphics and soundtrack because life precisely has the best, most realistic graphics ever and you can make your own soundtrack by choosing your music haha :D

I would HIGHLY suggest anyone interested in both gaming and self-improvement to try Habitica, it's free and open source and it works marvelously well with no PMO.

And to answer your great question - I'm gonna play in real life the same thing I always play in Diablo, aka a melee only barbarian obsessed with gold. This breaks into two things: barbarian, and gold focus. Barbarian because I want to start lifting weights and although I'm a girl I really want to become to a certain degree muscular and toned, so I could tank all my ennemies, and gold focus because my career is the most important thing in my life and I love my work more than anything. My quest would simply be to level up, because rn I'm level one, I'm weak asf, I'm practically naked, and I'm surrounded by demons. Level 70 is impossible to attain rn, but going to level 10 would already be an amazing accomplishment, since level 10 would be going keto, and REMAINING keto. Also melee for me is in real life endurance; because I need to gather enough fury to do whirlwind long enough to smash as many ennemies as possible. And for me it translates to working towards my life long dream of running a marathon (already week five of couch to 5k, not too bad). The items I need for me are stuff like self-improvement tools and apps, NoFap, drinking water etc.

Great post again, sorry for the long answer haha I get really passionate about the link between gaming and self-improvement!

Awedouble and ClickClickBoom like this.