The Effects of Water for Emotional Restoration

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Nick5717, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Nick5717

Nick5717 Fapstronaut

Alright guys,

This article I found talks about the effects of aquatic environments on our mood, specifically for PTSD, emotional restoration and calmness to beat anxiety from withdrawals, i.e. PMO. I recall an article I read, about the benefits of reading or thinking next to a body of water and thought this would help those of you at rock bottom in this fight so here goes.

"In general, these studies in the U.K. demonstrate that both natural and built scenes containing water are associated with higher perceived restorativeness than those without water. Even when visitors to the seaside were found to arrive in a good mood, they leave the coast with significantly heightened positive mood.

Meanwhile, as international “BlueMind” research begins to catch on, many programs that rely on the power of water to heal people emotionally and physically aren’t waiting around for the results.

Operation Surf, for instance, teaches active duty members of the military to surf, many of whom have lost limbs in combat. Van Curaza, a former pro surfer and director of the program, told me that after surfing the men he works with “finally get a solid night’s sleep, and even have good dreams.”

“For some of them it changes their lives, and even saves their lives,” he said.

Heroes On The Water similarly deploys kayak fishing as a way to help treat PTSD in veterans and promote reintegration, rehabilitation, and relaxation. Wounded vets overcome obstacles and discover a peaceful place to play" (Nichols, 2013, p.13-17)

References:
    Nichols, W. (2013). The Cognitive Benefits of Being by Water. Retrieved from http://www.wallacejnichols.org/101/554/the-cognitive-benefits-of-being-by-water.html

Nick

Stevegregory likes this.
  2. Nick5717

Nick5717 Fapstronaut

3. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! I will look into more. Good luck brother.

4. plus we are made of...you guessed it mostly water.

5. Nick5717

Nick5717 Fapstronaut

That is true, I read the sample book of Blue Mind on my Nook app and its pretty interesting. Our brains are made up of 80% water and that's why we're so comfortable reading a book by the ocean on a nice day relaxing. Also, the neurological center did some research in regards to people's interactions and responses to the Super Bowl ads. When the first Corona commercial came out with the two people chilling out on the beach with a pack of coronas, this ad received the most feedback because people enjoy being next to water subconsciously. There's more to it but that is the gist.