The Concept of Rights

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by MLMVSS, Apr 4, 2018.

1. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Well, not exactly. First, let's differentiate between concrete concepts (things formed by perception) and abstract concepts (things formed independent of perception), generally speaking. That said, shall we go through the list?

Dreams and thoughts, though subjective sensations, act in accordance to real-life experience. Both are influenced by external stimulus, and are only ever expressed in regard to such, as in the example that you do not need to have recently seen a pink elephant to think or dream about a pink elephant. Once you have experienced an object (through any of the senses) in your mind, you can think and dream about said object, thus making both thoughts and dreams concrete, in naturalistic terms (being neural impulses). Feelings would also be categorized as concrete, since they are only expressed through sense reaction to the exterior environment. Faith, as a feeling -- as an emotional state of mind -- can also exist in this manner; otherwise, it exists as an idea.

For mathematics, logic, arguments, fallacies, and lies, yes, they do not exist -- these are all based upon exterior information being processed by the senses and then expressed by communication, in a theoretical fashion. These are abstract concepts. "Truth" is also an abstract concept. I am being technical with my description of existence. They do not exist like a boulder exists, but they "exist" like language "exists": as reflective, physical exchanges between subjects from neural impulses originating in the mind. I described how "idea" only exists as a mental image, and the same goes for each of these; it is only when you define aspects of the concept in real terms, and by real objects, that each begins to "exist." You make the point when you say:

Though, I would add that the medium you mention serves the purpose of observable phenomenon. Thus, mathematics does not exist, but 1+1 still equals 2, because of the processes existent within the human body that allows us to understand and apply that reasoning.

"Information" is too broad, and you would have to clarify what you mean.

Finally, morality is non-existent for the same reason "rights" are non-existent, having no physical, material basis for their observation.

It seems you grasp the argument well enough when you say:

This is all that I mean when I say something does not exist: it lacks any sort of material substance, independent of the subject experiencing the concept.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. All I wanted. These concepts do exist, but they exist immaterially. A few things I want to point out, however:

Exactly. But some points for clarification and said points are not attempting to prove you wrong:

What I meant with observable phenomenon when it comes to math is that there isn't a single case in history where an observable phenomenon was caused purely by math. Should've clarified. :p

1+1 may equal 2 and this can be used to describe reality. One eye plus one eye equals two eyes, but math fails in proving reality and this is why math is ultimately an immaterial and abstract concept.

Math states that there's an infinite set of numbers between 0 and 1, meaning if you started at 0, you'd never reach 1. However, upon typing 0 and 1 on the screen you're reading right now, I just invariably destroyed that concept in the physical, material reality.

Math can give an equation where an elephant could hang off the side of a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy or how many tiny men could colonize Amber Rose's ass, but that doesn't mean either scenario could happen.

So if someone were to say "math is all around us", this would be more of a philisophical worldview as opposed to factual. You could say that and even then, it wouldn't be accurate since math doesn't really have anything to do with, say, abstaining from PMO, excluding counting the days.

Essentially, I mean the communication or reception of knowledge or intelligence. Such as your post. Such as mine. What you're reading right now is information. What I just read from you is information. When you woke up this morning and you saw what time it was on your clock, that's information as well.

All these things are immaterial.

To quote: "Information is information, neither matter nor energy."

So if information was matter, one would have to post the chemical formula, structure, mass, charge, momentum, spin, etc if information was mass. If it was energy, you must post the MeV or Joules to prove it.
    But you know this already.

I prefer the dictionary definition. I see it as objective reality or being. I would say morality does exist, but only in the same way that the English language exists. If morality existed materially, it would be observable in some manner. But this is obvious.